Stu_Pidasol

2 nil

Mitchell Johnson on a rampage

Jimmy Anderson - pedestrian medium pacer when the ball isn't swinging

Swann - absolutely struggling should be dropped?

Clarke dominating still

Warner backing up his words

Botham calls 5-0 victory - but changes that to 5-0 Australia now

Cook looks terrible

English batting line up scared shitless

1 positive - for the Poms... Joe Root

The Urn returns to the rightful hands of the Aussies in under a week.

Can it be turned around? NO.

Very wise move of the Poms to doctor picthes in England last series because that and the weather was the only thing that saved them over there.

• Upvote 1

the poms just running scared, labelling Mitchell johnsons bowling dangerous :lol2: don't make me laugh if they were doing it, it would be fine but cause they have no speedsters they wine, well that why they are whinging poms :lol2:

• Upvote 1

We're admittedly being completely outplayed in every department at the moment, Aussies are bowling better, batting better and almost more importantly right now, fielding better.

Your comment about doctoring pitches is a bit neither here nor there though, every nation produces pitches that favour them. Australia's have a lot more pace and bounce about their wickets, the English produce more seamer friendly pitches with some grass on them, the Sub Continent produces dust bowls with no pace or bounce that'll take some spin.

It's certainly going to be a tough ask to retain but I'm not giving up hope just yet, can't see us winning all three but a draw and two victories is possible with a massive turn around.

As for Mitchell Johnson, he's made a lot of us eat some humble pie this year after some laughable performances in the past, but I haven't heard anyone refer to him as dangerous in a negative way, just dangerous as he's taking so many wickets and bowling so well.

We're admittedly being completely outplayed in every department at the moment, Aussies are bowling better, batting better and almost more importantly right now, fielding better.

Your comment about doctoring pitches is a bit neither here nor there though, every nation produces pitches that favour them. Australia's have a lot more pace and bounce about their wickets, the English produce more seamer friendly pitches with some grass on them, the Sub Continent produces dust bowls with no pace or bounce that'll take some spin.

It's certainly going to be a tough ask to retain but I'm not giving up hope just yet, can't see us winning all three but a draw and two victories is possible with a massive turn around.

As for Mitchell Johnson, he's made a lot of us eat some humble pie this year after some laughable performances in the past, but I haven't heard anyone refer to him as dangerous in a negative way, just dangerous as he's taking so many wickets and bowling so well.

Oh come on Dirk - the pitches that you served up over there may have well been Indian dust bowls - tailored specifically to suit Swann and at the same time negating the quicks of Australia.. They weren't your typical English pitches. The English players themselves have come out and said as much. Comments from the English players like "the drainage at the grounds is much better that's why the were so dry" etc etc etc

The English team managers have already "complained/questioned" the match referee's around the laws on dangerous bowling. I'm not talking about the 2 bouncer rule here either - some little known rule about bowling with an intent to harm or hurt a batsman.

You are being out played in every single department and that is certainly not going to change tomorrow in Perth - so unless you're going to do the typical pommie thing and pray for rain and hope for a draw then the ashes will be back in Australian hands very shortly.

• Upvote 1

Oh come on Dirk - the pitches that you served up over there may have well been Indian dust bowls - tailored specifically to suit Swann and at the same time negating the quicks of Australia.. They weren't your typical English pitches. The English players themselves have come out and said as much. Comments from the English players like "the drainage at the grounds is much better that's why the were so dry" etc etc etc

The English team managers have already "complained/questioned" the match referee's around the laws on dangerous bowling. I'm not talking about the 2 bouncer rule here either - some little known rule about bowling with an intent to harm or hurt a batsman.

You are being out played in every single department and that is certainly not going to change tomorrow in Perth - so unless you're going to do the typical pommie thing and pray for rain and hope for a draw then the ashes will be back in Australian hands very shortly.

Well as I said, all teams produce pitches to favour their own players, Swann was one of our biggest threats. The pitches definitely did turn out pretty dull though, and more lifeless than normal, while that was certainly part of the plan I'm not sure they intended it to be that extreme.

I hadn't heard about the complaints regarding dangerous bowling, only about the sledging, personally I don't agree with either complaint. As long as the sledging doesn't get overly personal then it's all fine by me. Never heard about a rule regarding dangerous bowling, so you're probably right about it being largely unknown. Surely every bouncer ever bowled pretty much falls into that category, you're certainly not aiming for the stumps, you're trying to force the batsmen into playing a shot and protecting himself. So that complaint certainly sounds like sour grapes to me.

I still don't think it's all over but tomorrow's first session will be crucial, the whole Ashes can be won and lost there. To be fair whoever win's the toss probably won't lose the game and unfortunately Michael Clarke's been an excellent tosser thus far :)

Complaint might have been too strong of a word - but there has definitely been an inquiry

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/england-were-so-rattled-by-shortball-barrage-they-inquired-about-dangerous-bowling-rule/story-fni2fnmo-1226769112527

The sledging thing has been great - Andy Flower wanted peace talks with Darren Lehman about setting some ground rules on sledging - Lehman knocked it back of course :) I agree with you - as long as it doesn't get too personal then go at it. It's been happening forever and a day and it will continue to happen.

The first session will be crucial although to be fair I don't think the toss is going to be that important. While Australia would love to bat first I really don't think they will be unhappy with having to bowl first either considering how much damage the bowlers have done. Mitchell Johnson's record at the WACA is brilliant and that includes the times when he has struggled as a bowler. He was getting up round 152km at Adelaide and that was a fairly dead track so I'm thinking he will be up there pushing high 150's possibly even crack the 160km mark if there is a bit of a breeze. Which regardless of whether you are an Australian or English supporter it will be great to watch.

Complaint might have been too strong of a word - but there has definitely been an inquiry

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/england-were-so-rattled-by-shortball-barrage-they-inquired-about-dangerous-bowling-rule/story-fni2fnmo-1226769112527

The sledging thing has been great - Andy Flower wanted peace talks with Darren Lehman about setting some ground rules on sledging - Lehman knocked it back of course :) I agree with you - as long as it doesn't get too personal then go at it. It's been happening forever and a day and it will continue to happen.

The first session will be crucial although to be fair I don't think the toss is going to be that important. While Australia would love to bat first I really don't think they will be unhappy with having to bowl first either considering how much damage the bowlers have done. Mitchell Johnson's record at the WACA is brilliant and that includes the times when he has struggled as a bowler. He was getting up round 152km at Adelaide and that was a fairly dead track so I'm thinking he will be up there pushing high 150's possibly even crack the 160km mark if there is a bit of a breeze. Which regardless of whether you are an Australian or English supporter it will be great to watch.

The article you linked won't load for me, maybe it's because of the dialup they use in Oz :) , either way the headline says enough and it's definitely an odd complaint, or inquiry, to make. Sure there was some short pitch bowling, but it was pretty normal stuff, it's not like Johnson and co were putting every ball in head height, mainly just to the ribs and chest area, which as I said before, or at least hinted at, has been going on since cricket began. The only rule I was aware of was not having more than two man behind square on the leg side after the famous "Bodyline" series which was decades ago.

I don't really get the intention of it either, the cricket board were never going to fold and suddenly start clamping down on short bowling in the middle of one series, so it just makes us look soft (You are soft, says Stu) and gives the Aussie team and media more ammo to throw at us.

The same goes for the sledging, you guys were on top, both in how the games were going and the sledging, so why in his right mind would Lehman agree to have talks about setting guidelines etc. The result of the inquiry was predictable and again just makes us look "soft".

Looking soft really has summed it up for us so far unfortunately, dropping sloppy catches in the field, giving away cheap wickets with nothing shots and nobody's got fired up in the bowling department either. Our guys obviously are not as fast as your three front line bowlers, but that doesn't mean that the likes of Broad and Tremlett couldn't have broken their backs for a two or three over burst and fought fire with fire, bowling some short stuff.

Perhaps the toss isn't so crucial for you, you're probably right there, but I think it is for us. We need to win the toss, bat first and then have the likes of Cook who have failed thus far stand up and get runs on the board, then when the likes of Swann have something to bowl at and can keep some attacking fields for more than an over you may see some better results, that's if Swann even plays.

So anyway in short, making no excuses for how things have gone so far, but it's certainly not over quite yet, it's still predominantly the same team that have won us the Ashes, now it's up to them to prove why, starting with a strong performance tomorrow.

Yep pretty disappointing again, had you in potential trouble several times at 13/1, 52/2 and then 143/5 but never capitalized on the opportunities.

You're now looking at posting 400+ and are comfortably in the driving seat, we're going to need the likes of Cook to really stand up and come out of his poor run of form to have any chance in this now.

Ummmm, any chance of lots of rain please??

As a spectacle when the aussies return to england them regaining the ashes will help generate interest and patriotism. Its winter in england the premier league is in full flow. Unless cricket is your thing, its not on many peoples radar. The aussies being worth beating again, and england wanting revenge and those bad ass aussies, will pass a summer at least. So go australia, because december in england no fucker knows or cares, but once you win and there is nothing on tv then it will be huge here.

Hehe... No chance of rain - 40+ every day

Even 380 in the first innings will be enough - England haven't scored 400 in 11 tests or something like that

Tropical storm possible??

At least we managed to get some good early breakthrough's this morning, I'm not optimistic but at least the bowlers have done their part, it's up to the batsmen now, provided Lyons and Siddle don't put on an epic last stand.

You even got off to a good start with the bat - but then once again fell in a hole.. Bell already batting for a draw?

Root was unlucky he didn't hit that - but with the way the DRS works there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn it.. Thems the breaks I guess..

Cook threw it away - shit shot

Carberry - good start before finding himself a way to get out like all series

Root - as discussed already

Peitersen - absolutely disgraceful

All out for under 300 mid way through day 3 - pitch deteriorating, Aussies to make 350-300 and it's all over

That Joe Root decision was pretty awful -- no reason that shouldn't have been overturned.

Australian pitches all have some pretty distinct qualities that have never really changed over the years: Perth is fast and variable in terms of bounce, plus it cracks open, Brisbane is bouncy but in a reliable way, Adelaide is a road, Sydney spins, Melbourne is a bit of a mess (because the MCG is also the home of AFL in the winter) but is pretty close to Adelaide, and Hobart is slow as a snail on valium. This never really changed either, despite the fact that when the West Indies toured in the 1990s (and South Africa more recently) I bet the Aussies really wished Perth didn't bounce as much.

You even got off to a good start with the bat - but then once again fell in a hole.. Bell already batting for a draw?

Root was unlucky he didn't hit that - but with the way the DRS works there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn it.. Thems the breaks I guess..

Cook threw it away - shit shot

Carberry - good start before finding himself a way to get out like all series

Root - as discussed already

Peitersen - absolutely disgraceful

All out for under 300 mid way through day 3 - pitch deteriorating, Aussies to make 350-300 and it's all over

Yeh got in a good position and more stupidity again it seems. Fell asleep before the Cook and Pietersen dismissals so haven't seen them.

The UK tv were slating Carberry for the way he leaves the ball the over before he gets out, the way he half plays at it and then pulls his bat away at the last moment instead of getting it well out of the way immediately, ended up costing him.

Root definitely was unlucky, but yeh the whole DRS system is a bit random at the moment, it keeps changing with what systems they use, how many referrals they're allowed to make, whether the ball needs to be just clipping or hitting 50% to overturn an LBW decision, they just need to get a system in place and stick to it. But yeh at the end of the day, the on field umpire gave him out so can't really grumble about it, few years ago and we wouldn't even be able to refer it.

Need a huge first couple of sessions today, at least Bell is still there in form, Prior showed last test that the signs are there that he could be getting back into the swing of things as well, plus the pitch should suit his style. A lot depends on those two to even get close to 300 lol, not sure about Stokes yet, don't see him getting to many. Normally I'd be pretty happy seeing Broad, Bresnan and Swann still to come as between them they're usually good for 75 or so, but none of them have done anything much with the bat against your bowling attack.

The fat lady is unfortunately getting warmed up.

That Joe Root decision was pretty awful -- no reason that shouldn't have been overturned.

Because the original decision was out there wasn't enough evidence to say it wasn't - the snicko which doesn't normally get used did him in... Clearly though he didn't hit it.. So I guess it highlights the DRS system sucks.. I'm of the opinion they should just go old school.. No reviews if you get a bad one then do be it.. It should even itself out over time.

Yeh got in a good position and more stupidity again it seems. Fell asleep before the Cook and Pietersen dismissals so haven't seen them.

The UK tv were slating Carberry for the way he leaves the ball the over before he gets out, the way he half plays at it and then pulls his bat away at the last moment instead of getting it well out of the way immediately, ended up costing him.

Root definitely was unlucky, but yeh the whole DRS system is a bit random at the moment, it keeps changing with what systems they use, how many referrals they're allowed to make, whether the ball needs to be just clipping or hitting 50% to overturn an LBW decision, they just need to get a system in place and stick to it. But yeh at the end of the day, the on field umpire gave him out so can't really grumble about it, few years ago and we wouldn't even be able to refer it.

Need a huge first couple of sessions today, at least Bell is still there in form, Prior showed last test that the signs are there that he could be getting back into the swing of things as well, plus the pitch should suit his style. A lot depends on those two to even get close to 300 lol, not sure about Stokes yet, don't see him getting to many. Normally I'd be pretty happy seeing Broad, Bresnan and Swann still to come as between them they're usually good for 75 or so, but none of them have done anything much with the bat against your bowling attack.

The fat lady is unfortunately getting warmed up.

Pietsersons was absolutely awful - the very ball just before he went out the commentators were praising him for how sensible he was batting then he goes and has a brain fart and plays what could only be described as a baseball swing..

Re: Bell he might be in form but he looks like he's already trying to bat for a draw... 9 runs of 62 balls is an absolute recipe for disaster.. All well and good valuing your wicket but you need to still turn the strike over as that stops pressure from building.

Because the original decision was out there wasn't enough evidence to say it wasn't - the snicko which doesn't normally get used did him in... Clearly though he didn't hit it.. So I guess it highlights the DRS system sucks.. I'm of the opinion they should just go old school.. No reviews if you get a bad one then do be it.. It should even itself out over time.

Pietsersons was absolutely awful - the very ball just before he went out the commentators were praising him for how sensible he was batting then he goes and has a brain fart and plays what could only be described as a baseball swing..

Re: Bell he might be in form but he looks like he's already trying to bat for a draw... 9 runs of 62 balls is an absolute recipe for disaster.. All well and good valuing your wicket but you need to still turn the strike over as that stops pressure from building.

Yeh can't comment to much on Bell as I didn't see the last session and a bit but it's not how he normally plays, perhaps he just wanted to get the day over and go on the attack tomorrow, but that's not going to be easy with the new ball due in 10 overs or so. Have to agree that playing for a draw this early is just asking for trouble, no reason to yet it's a bit ridiculous.

I probably agree that a draw is perhaps our best chance now on current form, but with 3 days left, 6 wickets remaining and only 200 or so behind, there's no reason for them to think we can't win it and that what we should at least be trying to do! Haven't even seen it like I said but now just thinking about it is frustrating me lol.

Nice to see Harris taking wickets today, probably his last Ashes series this one.

Think it was incorrect to conclude that snicko, which is meant to be synchronised, gave anything resembling evidence that he hit it when the noise came when the ball was past the bat -- especially with no other signs of ball hitting the bat -- no hot spot and no visual deviation of the ball trajectory.

Nice to see Harris taking wickets today, probably his last Ashes series this one.

Think it was incorrect to conclude that snicko, which is meant to be synchronised, gave anything resembling evidence that he hit it when the noise came when the ball was past the bat -- especially with no other signs of ball hitting the bat -- no hot spot and no visual deviation of the ball trajectory.

Agreed on Harris - could have been anything if his body didnt keep failing him..

I agree about snicko and I agree that Root was not out but the whole set up of DRS means there needs to be absolutely conclusive evidence to overturn the original decision.. The snicko on that one added doubt.. That's why it wasn't overturned as wrong as that is.. That's why the whole system should just be scrapped and we go back to umpires call

I agree about snicko and I agree that Root was not out but the whole set up of DRS means there needs to be absolutely conclusive evidence to overturn the original decision.. The snicko on that one added doubt.. That's why it wasn't overturned as wrong as that is.. That's why the whole system should just be scrapped and we go back to umpires call

Seems wrong to me to say it wasn't conclusive if literally the only thing indicating there might have been any bat on ball contact was a noise when the ball was past the bat; it's like if hotspot had shown up on the other side of his bat.

The noise was the doubt - but agreed it doesn't make sense..

It's only a matter of time now before the Ashes is ours - what an innings by Warner.

Interesting stat - Warner, Clarke and Haddin have made more runs than the whole English team combined..

If Broad is out for the series this will be a 5-0 whitewash... It was looking that way anyway but if he is gone that will be the final nail in the coffin..

The noise was the doubt - but agreed it doesn't make sense..

It's only a matter of time now before the Ashes is ours - what an innings by Warner.

Interesting stat - Warner, Clarke and Haddin have made more runs than the whole English team combined..

If Broad is out for the series this will be a 5-0 whitewash... It was looking that way anyway but if he is gone that will be the final nail in the coffin..

Before our innings, when I assume either Carberry or Cook may have eclipsed him, Mitchell Johnson had scored more runs than any of our batsmen which is an even more alarming stat!

Another miserable performance, I don't mind losing but I don't like losing when we're playing such average cricket. We're capable of much better and it's incredibly frustrating, we don't seem to want it nearly as much as you guys.