How many styles are being used effectively...?

Shako

Hi all,

I'm new enough that this question may not actually make much sense...., but I'm interested to know how many styles are actually being used (effectively)?

I understand the idea of a cap on skills, and have read why not picking up elbows and knees is so common (although just read a thread about knee champions ;)

Is is easy to generalize about how many 'styles' of fighting are effective and common right now?

Elbows/knees are out of favor right now...!?

GnP vs Subs (maybe it's just the fights I've seen, but haven't come across much GnP for the moment...)

I get the impression that at the top level every fighter is virtually maxed out in skills....does that make fights that are won or lost on more subtle details than 'style vs style'?

(Told you my questions might not make sense ;)

• Upvote 5

Some people are calling it KT tycoon for a reason. The cookie cutter build is elite-elite-elite-brown primaries, elite punches kicks sdef clinchwork tdd def grap transitions/escapes and elite physicals. There are some top level grapplers but with the high success of escapes, they have problems keeping the fight on the ground and winning there. Elbows are decent for winning vs fighters with bad cuts hidden, while knees don't seem to be doing good damage.

• Upvote 2

Lot of people don't understand the hiddens grapplers need to succeed either. Granted the game balance is geared towards strikers due to escapes and ref stand ups and the amount of skills it takes a grappler to succeed... but there are certain things grapplers need to be effective and efficient.

• Upvote 5

I know nothing about the higher echelons of fighters here...

Are there are any GnPers at the top?

Any wrestling/ Bjj guys?

I see a guy having a fling with knees in another post....orthodoxy here seems to say that they aren't especially effective...

But, orthodoxy also says 'cuts easily' should be dumped and there are dissenting voices.

Are there trends in the game or has the TRUTH been uncovered and is well-known to all? (hopes not)

A wise man who is helping me says (I'm paraphrasing him pretty ruthlessly) "NO! This guy will take too long to train", "NO! you screwed this guy up at birth, dump him"

and (more realistically!)

"you can't waste points in an unimportant skill if you want to be among the elite" I understand this mathematically, but then again chess is a pure logic game that keeps giving up its secrets to players who 'play for beauty', 'think dynamically', or 'follow their muse'. Pure logic isn't enough to navigate the game...you need flight of fancy and gumption. You need to make counter-intuitive decisions. The 'polish and grind' guys (who play too dry and avoid risk) are no longer at the top.....

Can that happen here?

• Upvote 1

I understand the need not to waste skill points.....that 'grappler' above mentioned has Elite (15) boxing, Exceptional (13) Muay Thai, Sensational (14) wrestling and holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu like pretty much all the elite unless they don't go to Black belt...that seems strange...

In the end this is a game, so your philosphy about "playing for the beauty" should still apply. I'm kinda new myself, but one thing ive noticed in all societies, including this one, is that they tend to prefer the tried and true path, the path of least resistance, rather than the off beaten one so theres hope for your dream yet. However, before you discover a new style, I would advise you first learn and understand the traditional builds that are currently in place. You can have a perfectly built fighter, but without understanding the sliders he becomes irrelevant quickly. Even Mozart had to learn the different chords first.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lot of people don't understand the hiddens grapplers need to succeed either. Granted the game balance is geared towards strikers due to escapes and ref stand ups and the amount of skills it takes a grappler to succeed... but there are certain things grapplers need to be effective and efficient.

Granite Chin and Intelligence are a given

I think Big heart also helps correct?

Im really excited for my latest pick up: Johan Farfy Iii (226031)

I know a lot of people talk shit about Bjorn but he made the right decision dropping this guy back into the FA pool after I gave him some grief for retiring him while waiting for grappling orgs or whatever his excuse was at first. I will do my best w this guy or at least fight him his last couple of years, I think Nick Force would be happy watching from MMA Tycoon heaven :)

Granite Chin and Intelligence are a given

I think Big heart also helps correct?

Im really excited for my latest pick up: Johan Farfy Iii (226031)

I know a lot of people talk shit about Bjorn but he made the right decision dropping this guy back into the FA pool after I gave him some grief for retiring him while waiting for grappling orgs or whatever his excuse was at first. I will do my best w this guy or at least fight him his last couple of years, I think Nick Force would be happy watching from MMA Tycoon heaven :)

Actually no, Granite Chin is not required at all for ground fighters.

The most important ground hiddens are: 1)Heart 2) Confidence 3) Intelligence

After that maybe a good chin would help take some punishment before getting it to the ground but really the Heart could take care of that if you ever get rocked then your guy would score a TD or pull out some crazy tricks out of his bag at that point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ground is pound fighters isnt that effective correct ?

Ground and Pound fighters can be very effective, especially with the introduction of accuracy-dmg slider on GnP. But they will need to watch out for submission fighters so build them with some submissions and max out the Def Grappling. And Transitions of course.

• Upvote 1