Tactics / sliders image addition

MMATycoon

OK so the sliders can be confusing to anyone. I even get people who have played for years going "my fighter isn't doing what he's supposed to", only to look at their sliders and see he's doing exactly what he's supposed to; they just didn't understand how to set them properly. Soooooooo. I want to;

A. Rearrange the sliders so they are in their hierarchy order.

B. Display this at the bottom, under the sliders, displaying the % chance of each thing happening (N.B. these %s aren't accurate, I just whacked in some numbers for aesthetics).

Thoughts?

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4993/um9e.jpg

• Upvote 17

yeah its' too easy to blame the system when things don't go your way. Making it clearer for everyone what they can expect should release some of that frustration. I made my own calculator simply for this purpose and I don't set a slider without checking with my calculator what I'm getting out of it. I did share it with the community.

It's also quite scary how many people never have read the wikipedia at all even though most of the info needed is right there for everyone to read.

A good thing might also be to add a square where you can enter number of moves so people can see approximately how many moves of each action would get. Some one might go 40% aggression standup and use 15% takedowns and with that amount of aggression the number of takedowns attempted each round might be good but then for next fight they instead go aggressive with 65% aggression and they keep the takedown rate the same because they tought it was a good amount of takedown attempt not realizing how many more takedown attempts they now will be trying for each round instead. The difference would be about 31 takedowns attempt on 65% vs 19 attempts with 40% aggression in a 3 round fight. That's quite a lot and an easy way to gas out your fighter.

Probably one of the biggest reasons why people stop playing the game is because of the complexity of the sliders. They don't understand them and probably don't want to spend time trying to understand them.

Football Manager used to be very slider orientated however in recent years they changed the way the tactics system worked and had drop down menu's for some tactical options which had sliders in the past. As a result they've been even more successful in recent years.

The main thing is to keep it optional, new players will want something simplified for setting fighter tactics whereas experienced players may want to tweak the fighter tactics more.

Loving the way you've included graphics to give the users an idea of what happens in each scenario.

My thought is this is an excellent idea and should be implemented. Since markyosullivan commented before I did, I would agree that leaving it as optional may be good too.

I still don't understand sliders per se, although I have learned a little bit about adjusting sliders.

If I understand it right it doesnt replace current slider system, it's additional image that shows how your settings will work.

You seem to indeed be correct. Nonetheless, there is also the mention of rearranging sliders based on hierarchical order. Therefore, this could be a change that would require adjustment time and would be desired as merely being optional by experienced managers.

The graphic would actually help people to see how truly they do/did understand sliders.

@Kronix could you please repost your spreadsheet

@Mike....As a newer player it is difficult to understand sliders...If you set a fighter to be 70% counter on the bottom, 100% ground sub, 50% control/finish, 100% stay on the ground and 60% advance position vs a standup fighter yet he gets the takedown by pulling guard and does not atempt one sweep or sub in a minute and a standup is forced, it can be very confusing! Also one question off topic about scoring (sorry) why are takedowns not weighted in scoring. For example I have seen fighters who I am preparing to fight take someone down 3 times but still lose a round? Take downs are scored very strongly in UFC and other real life fight promotions. Once again sorry about the off topic question.

@Kronix could you please repost your spreadsheet

@Mike....As a newer player it is difficult to understand sliders...If you set a fighter to be 70% counter on the bottom, 100% ground sub, 50% control/finish, 100% stay on the ground and 60% advance position vs a standup fighter yet he gets the takedown by pulling guard and does not atempt one sweep or sub in a minute and a standup is forced, it can be very confusing! Also one question off topic about scoring (sorry) why are takedowns not weighted in scoring. For example I have seen fighters who I am preparing to fight take someone down 3 times but still lose a round? Take downs are scored very strongly in UFC and other real life fight promotions. Once again sorry about the off topic question.

You'll see plenty of people on here saying that takedowns are pretty much an instant win the round so there are very varying opinions on that one :)

As for those tactics, if you are fighting a standup guy, I wouldn't be going high counter on the ground - be the offensive fighter.

@Mike yes but if you are on the bottom and you are a GnP (GnP is useless from the bottom mostly) and the other guy has a few wins by Sub, counter would be the way to go...or I would think. I just have found that other than counter takedowns, counter anything else seems pointless. I'm not trying to cause problems, just trying to get a better understanding of sliders. I like your idea by the way, but would you be able to add a slider where IF you are in the clinch and have good knees but low flexability, you can 50% dirty box/MT and attack the head with boxing and attack the body with knees? It's hard when you throw knees to the head knowing you are not going to connect, but you want to throw punches to the head in the clinch.

I still disagree with the takedown scoring

I like it.

While you're updating that, would there be a way for slider settings to be logged so that when we go back and look at an old fight for one of our fighters, we can see how his sliders were set for that fight? I always forget how I set them, so it would be cool to have that available.