Strikeforce HW tournament 2011 !

i think it makes sense enough. i think Scott Coker mightve learned a bit from "wanting to built fights", where things went wrong for Strikeforce in the past. timing is always a big issue too of course. now instead of wanting to make the iron even hotter they just forge the iron while it is sure to be hot. the right bracket is like the "insert career-revive here"-bracket ... whoever makes it to the final from there is relevant again and will likely be a worthy challenger to the winner of the left bracket. the whole thing isnt even a real tournament to begin with .. just the open book of the matchmaker really, which is nice for the fans and fighters and demands commitment and forces meaning into it from all sides.

with all due respect to Silva, heres hoping Fedor wins so we can see him vs. Overeem or Werdum.

the thing has great potential to be a real nice treat :)

I think Barnett has digressed to the point where i think Rogers KOs him. I think Rogers is a can but Barnett is the most overrated fighter in the game. He wrestling is crap and his striking is no where near where it was when he left MMA. He has looked like Crap in all his fights back to May 2006. If he gets the takedown he will be in good shape and will probabley take a decision. But i dont see him getting it and his durability wont hold up to a big guy with some power. SF better hope Sergei comes out on that side of the bracket because the others are has beens or never was'. Im not sold on Sergei at this point but he still has some cred left to make him being a contender believable.

The brackets make sense to me from a business and marketing point of view.

Fedor should win against Silva and then you either get to do the rematch with Werdum or see him fight Overeem. If Fedor ends up getting to the final then he has either beaten Overeem or avenged his loss to Werdum. If Overeem gets there then he's beaten Fedor as well as Werdum (The man that beat Fedor) and if Werdum gets there then he's beaten Overeem and Fedor (Twice.) So whatever way you look at it the particular HW from Bracket A will have a pretty good resume.

As for Bracket B, well there has to be a weaker bracket for Bracket A to work like it is, and should someone from Bracket B manage to actually win it then that'll turn them into a marketing machine as well.

The other reason for doing the big matchups early is because otherwise they might not ever happen! Someone you don't want to will lose, or will get an injury and be on the shelf for 6 months, you can't leave too much to chance.

The HW division in MMA in general is greatly in need of creating some stars and credible contenders.

Of course knowing Strikeforce's luck it'll probably turn into a Silva vs Rodgers final.

I think Barnett has digressed to the point where i think Rogers KOs him. I think Rogers is a can but Barnett is the most overrated fighter in the game. He wrestling is crap and his striking is no where near where it was when he left MMA. He has looked like Crap in all his fights back to May 2006. If he gets the takedown he will be in good shape and will probabley take a decision. But i dont see him getting it and his durability wont hold up to a big guy with some power. SF better hope Sergei comes out on that side of the bracket because the others are has beens or never was'. Im not sold on Sergei at this point but he still has some cred left to make him being a contender believable.

i think you mean "regressed" not "digressed" :D

rogers and his trainer actually went to barnett's camp for a bit to prepare for fedor. interesting little angle...

i think it could be a tough fight for barnett because roger's is a bigger guy and i expect him to be in the type of shape he was in against fedor, but i still have to pick barnett. he did look kind of shady in his last fight i will admit, but he knows who his opponent is well ahead of time this time, and i think that'll help him. only cro cop and rizzo have stopped barnett, so i actually think barnett can more than hold his own on the feet again rogers. if he gets the takedown, which i think he will...game over. hopefully we see a leglock.

totally agree with whoever said watch silva and werdum win and then the whole tourney go to shit

I disagree, I think both have a good chance to win and I don't see how it would ruin the tournament. I believe that Bigfoot would give Overeem a much better fight than Fedor could. Anybody wants to try a prediction? I'll start off. If matchups stay the way they are, with no injuries:

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva

Silva is too big for Emelianenko and has too good of a chin, Fedor's bag ran out of tricks and Antonio will win a decision.

Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum

I have to take the Reem. Overeem's strength advantage was a big factor in the first fight and he's a lot stronger now. He pretty much dominated the whole fight till he got caught, but he's more patient now and better at pacing himself. He'll take revenge on the only fighter ever to submit him with a first round KO.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov

Arlovski's chin will hold up, but Sergei is a better boxer, decision win for Kharitonov.

Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers

Barnett will find a way to win, Brett is too one dimensional. A decision win for Barnett.

I disagree, I think both have a good chance to win and I don't see how it would ruin the tournament. I believe that Bigfoot would give Overeem a much better fight than Fedor could. Anybody wants to try a prediction? I'll start off. If matchups stay the way they are, with no injuries:

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva

Silva is too big for Emelianenko and has too good of a chin, Fedor's bag ran out of tricks and Antonio will win a decision.

Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum

I have to take the Reem. Overeem's strength advantage was a big factor in the first fight and he's a lot stronger now. He pretty much dominated the whole fight till he got caught, but he's more patient now and better at pacing himself. He'll take revenge on the only fighter ever to submit him in a first round KO.

Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov

Arlovski's chin will hold up, but Sergei is a better boxer, decision win for Kharitonov.

Josh Barnett vs. Brett Rogers

Barnett will find a way to win, Brett is too one dimensional. A decision win for Barnett.

Are you high? Bigfoot over Fedor? I hate how everyone is trying to call the upsets now that Werdum pulled one off.

Come on, Antonio Silva was tooled by Fabricio Werdum completely in their fight...did you forget that? Fedor is one of those guys that can handle size. His striking is much better, and his grappling is better. Size is the only thing Bigfoot has over him...and that won't be much of a factor.

Oh yea, I forgot that Silva almost got beaten by Mike Kyle...who hardly prepared for him. Fedor beats the ogre by snapping either his arm off or knocking his jawbone across the ring.

Are you high? Bigfoot over Fedor? I hate how everyone is trying to call the upsets now that Werdum pulled one off.

Come on, Antonio Silva was tooled by Fabricio Werdum completely in their fight...did you forget that? Fedor is one of those guys that can handle size. His striking is much better, and his grappling is better. Size is the only thing Bigfoot has over him...and that won't be much of a factor.

Oh yea, I forgot that Silva almost got beaten by Mike Kyle...who hardly prepared for him. Fedor beats the ogre by snapping either his arm off or knocking his jawbone across the ring.

They're my picks. If you don't like them than just give your own. Yes, I saw Bigfoot's fight against Kyle, I also saw Fedor's fight against Fujita. And you must be mistaken, because it was Fedor who got tooled by Werdum. The fight between Werdum and Bigfoot was very close. So the reasoning behind your comment is dumb. I give Fedor a good chance against Bigfoot, but I think that he'll lose again if he fights Werdum and I'm sure that he gets crushed if he ever faces Overeem. I think Silva will win and I think that you're a tool for reacting the way you did. So now don't be a coward and show us your picks.

They're my picks. If you don't like them than just give your own. Yes, I saw Bigfoot's fight against Kyle, I also saw Fedor's fight against Fujita. And you must be mistaken, because it was Fedor who got tooled by Werdum. The fight between Werdum and Bigfoot was very close. So the reasoning behind your comment is dumb. I give Fedor a good chance against Bigfoot, but I think that he'll lose again if he fights Werdum and I'm sure that he gets crushed if he ever faces Overeem. I think Silva will win and I think that you're a tool for reacting the way you did. So now don't be a coward and show us your picks.

Fedor made the mistake of falling into his guard in the first minute. If he hadn't pulled off that submission, the fight would have went VERY differently.

Werdum tooled Silva easily for three rounds.

I'll do my picks, just erm...gimme some time to think about them. I doubt all the fights will happen anyways.

Fedor

............Fedor

Silva

....................................Overeem

Overeem

.............Overeem

Werdum

..................................................................Overeem

Arlovski

..............Sergei

Sergei

..................................Sergei

Barnett

.............Rogers

Rogers

Fedor

............Fedor

Silva

....................................Overeem

Overeem

.............Overeem

Werdum

..................................................................Overeem

Arlovski

..............Sergei

Sergei

..................................Sergei

Barnett

.............Rogers

Rogers

you predict overeem to win... nice

There's money to win on this thing if it ever gets off the ground. Fedor+Kharitonov @ 2,51 and Overeem+Barnett @ 1,83 are safe bets imo.

Anyone who saw interviews with Arlovski following his Silva defeat knew his mental game just isn't there anymore, plus Kharitonov is the better and tougher striker. Rogers barely got past friggin Warpath, I think that says a lot about Barnetts chances.

I also hope the bookies will overestimate Fedors chances against Overeem, because I just don't see how my favorite russian is winning that one.

The toughest fights IMO were Overeem/Werdum and Overeem/Sergei. The Barnett/Rogers fight could go many different ways but im going with the upset but wouldnt be suprised if Barnett won. But Overeem will have to put away Werdum fast because Overeem has poor gas and he will slow as the fight goes on making it easier to get him down. I can see Werdum winning late in the fight i just dont see him surviving. Overeem vs Sergei is very close if Sergei shows up worth a damn. But im going with Reem because Sergei tends to not be fast on his feet and he will need to be vs someone who is loading up so much power and coming right at him. He wont be able to keep coming forward like he is used to.

The toughest fights IMO were Overeem/Werdum and Overeem/Sergei. The Barnett/Rogers fight could go many different ways but im going with the upset but wouldnt be suprised if Barnett won. But Overeem will have to put away Werdum fast because Overeem has poor gas and he will slow as the fight goes on making it easier to get him down. I can see Werdum winning late in the fight i just dont see him surviving. Overeem vs Sergei is very close if Sergei shows up worth a damn. But im going with Reem because Sergei tends to not be fast on his feet and he will need to be vs someone who is loading up so much power and coming right at him. He wont be able to keep coming forward like he is used to.

It would seem to me that Overeem is a far better place than the 2006 GP, 40lbs heavier and having developed his hands a great deal although his TD defence does seem to have diminished a little. I see Werdum's chin as being a little suspect against really big hitters which Overeem falls into and could well end in the way JDS fight did.

For me Sergei's inactivity will make it difficult for him.

the longer the fight the better it is for jiu jitsu guys (which i mean as when people start gassing a little they start to make mistakes. that's where jiu jitsu guys are best at capitalizing on mistakes)

the longer the fight the better it is for jiu jitsu guys (which i mean as when people start gassing a little they start to make mistakes. that's where jiu jitsu guys are best at capitalizing on mistakes)

Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva is a good example of that

the tornament is good but i would have made the fights different and these would be my matchups.

BRACKET A

Werdum

V.S

arlovski

Overeem

V.S

Sergei

BRACKET B

Fedor

V.S

Barnett

Silva

V.S

Rogers

I think those would of been more fair and better matchups IMO cause in bracket a the werdum fights insures he fights either overeem or sergei which would both make great fights. And in bracket b is two fights that were sopposed to happen but never did happen cause of issuse with the fighter (Barnett and Silva testing positive for banned substince) and then the companys folding. So all in all most likely if the tornament was setup like that silva and fedor would meet in the semis and most likely so would Werdum and overeem. But that is just my opinion.