Avoid Takedown

IvanLoneWolf

My fighter has high strength and high clinch. If I want to avoid being taken down........

Will it be safer for me to stay outside OR be in the clinch and control him?

In my experience, it's better to stay outside and just put your slider a little bit to counter and go for full counter strike. Going to clinch is trouble if your opponent has superior Wrestling and has high TD Off and speed, even if you have high clinch and strength. He can't use Takedown easily but he can pull guard. That's what I think base on my past fights. Just dont forget go for high counter don't be aggressive coz you're giving the opponent a chance for a counter TD.

I agree, takedowns are easiest off a counter, so try and set your sliders to be more countering than the opponent. That’ll be your judgement call. Also takedowns by countering head and body kicks are to be aware of.

Knocking out the opponent is the best way to stop the takedown! If you tell us which fight you are planning for we can offer more tailored advice.

Pull guard from clinch is a bjj skill, so if your opponent has higher bjj than you I would probably avoid the clinch. But clinch is also a good place to wear out and knock them out, so if your clinch sliders are good then that could be an advantage zone for you.

• Upvote 1