35 yr old training>?

XxxtremeT13

So, I've never had an older fight...I recently picked up a 35yr old off FA market...So, how should I train such a man....Is it best to just spar him or are secondary and/or physical training gains high enough still to justifying training with a coach? Figure that he's likely to train with a coach with up to 4 other fighters, as I'm not putting money towards private gym training for him...or would sparring provide the better gains?

I've had older fighters in the past. for the most part you are not going to see any significant gains. As some of the previous posters have said you are primarily going to be concerned with maintaining rather than making gains. So I would use him as a spar bot of sorts putting him into one sparring session of each Primary every week. Space them out so as to avoid negative effects as per usual and make sure he has at least one sparring partner each of those sessions otherwise he will just be taking them as rest sessions. Physicals might still see some gains, but, as Bwang said, you really only want to do a few CTs, probably General just to deal with tickers. Hit Secondaires starting with the highest ones and get as many of those trained once a week to keep them from de-popping if you have training sessions left (highly unlikely), then hit some of the other, lower skills that you have, for the same reasons as for all other skills - resetting tickers. Also fight him often. Fights also reset tickers and so if he fights every 2-3 weeks it will prevent his tickers from getting too high and causing de-pops.

Eventually he will start to decline no matter what and you will begin to feel like you are playing wack-a-mole with the stats to keep them from de-popping and that is about the time when you should start thinking about retiring him.

P.S. when I say relevant stats or skills what I mean is the ones that are more crucial to your fighter's style of fighting. If he is a Sprawl and Brawl type then you will want to hit Punches, Kicks, CW, SD, TDD, DG, and Escapes. If he is a Grappler then you will want to work on his SD, TD, DG, Transitions, GnP, and/or Submissions. I feel that Elbows and Knees still are almost worthless skills but if you really like your clinch rapist builds then you can try and find time to train those two skills as well into your Sprawl and Brawl build.