An Interview with Captain Spaulding (Manager of GAMMA Heavyweight Champion Thierry Paulin)

Alfred

An interview with Captain Spaulding

(Manager of GAMMA Heavyweight Champion Thierry Paulin)

One of my favourite aspects of the mmatycoon world is following the journeys of certain fighters and watching their stories unfold where ever that may take them. It’s not even the best fighters that are necessarily the most interesting to me but more those that I have a personal involvement in. Be that through organisations that I have run or previous opponents of my own fighters that have caught my eye.

For most fighters, it’s an up and down path with maybe a few highlight moments amongst many middling losses. Some might stick around long enough to get a few title shots. Some might even win a title or two. Generally that would be considered a good career within the game but certainly not the peak of achievement. To go further, it usually means a good couple of real life years to get to the point where competing against the top tier fighters within the top tier PPV organisations is possible. It takes a lot of different things to excel at that level. Skill, knowledge and even luck but most importantly of all, it takes patience. You see, the world of mmatycoon is a fickle one where usually only the most perfect of prospects is given any consideration at all. The vast majority are cast aside and released at the very sign of imperfection. Some don’t even make it into the cage at all after being branded too slow in the training room by their ever demanding new manager. It’s a damn shame but that’s why it has been such a thrill to watch this fighter reach the stage he has and I hope to share a little insight into the man and his manager as I go on.

I remember the first time coming across him. It was the first tournament that I had ever arranged and the format was simple. Eight fighters aged eighteen at the start of the competition competing in an open weight, knock out tournament to crown the very first New Blood champion and also win a year’s worth of VIP. Losing fighters were free to continue in the division until they reached twenty years old where they would no longer be eligible to compete. Of those eight original fighters, “The Monster of Montmartre” Theirry Paulin was among.

After seeing him capture the Heavyweight Title at GAMMA, the most prestigious and longest running organisations in the game, I decided to reach out to Paulin’s manager Captain Spaulding as a matter of interest. He agreed to meet for an interview and answer my questions.

(ALFRED) Hi Cap, thanks for taking the time. I’ll keep the questions as brief as possible as I’m sure you’re a busy man.

You’ve been involved in MMATycoon since the very beginning. Has this been consistent or have you taken any breaks? Are you still interested in the game. What keeps you motivated?

(CAP) The only thing that has been consistent is my inconsistency. I have a hard time staying focused on the game and give it 100%. I have taken many brakes over the years and even took over for 8 months or so but always come back.

(ALFRED) You’re best rank achieved is #8. Never quite hit the top spot. Is this something you are aiming for?

(CAP) Actually think I hit 3rd before ranking system was changed and showed best rank. I'm actually surprised I got ranked that high cause I never decline fights and fight whoever they put in front of my guys. Many pick and choose which is best way to make it to the top but that’s not my style. So I don't really ever expect to be #1 or probably ever make top 10 again.

(ALFRED Paulin was created for an 18 year old creation tournament of sorts. Do you remember his build at the start or what you were going for at the time?

(CAP) Really don't remember Paulin's build to start with but like most I'm sure it was striking mainly. He isn't a fast learner but isn't pure dumb either. He still has lots of work and improvements he could make.

(ALFRED) He crashed out in the first round but then managed to win his remaining fights in the division. If I recall there was a year’s worth of VIP on the line. Were you disappointed with the result? Did you expect to win?

(CAP) As always was disappointed he lost first round but going against the ground fighter just didn't have enough time to tighten up those skills. He was hoping could get a second shot at entering hoping someone quit but didn't come to happen for him.

(ALFRED) Paulin moved on to the NJMMA organisation. He did well initially earning a title shot which he lost. Do you remember how you felt about the result of that fight? What impression of the org did you have and how would you rate Paulins overall performance there?

(CAP) Paulin felt great signing with the new org looking for the belt. He got his shot but was just too cocky and didn't play it smart. It cost him for sure but he learns from his mistakes. Losing that fight and getting ko'ed like that hurt him. He just wasn't into it and had lots of personal issues in his next few fights.

(ALFRED) After NJMMA, Paulin ended up at The Global Colosseum which became Empire. The org was a great 310k ID org which meant Paulin must have been a little under-skilled for the most part. This is probably reflected in his very erratic W/L record. Paulin went 4-6 there with all losses by KO, many in the first round. Did you ever consider retiring him during this period?

(CAP) When Empire come in and signed him he was a little fish in a big pond being so young and still with so much to learn. It showed thus earning him the gatekeeper title. He would put on shows but just not fighting smart. He needed to see a sports psychologist and get over his issues.

(ALFRED From Empire, you moved Paulin to Gamma: Contenders and things have never looked better. 4-0 there including a title fight and a defence before getting the call to the big leagues of GAMMA’s main org. Firstly, what made you decide to move over to Gamma and what do you attribute this step up in performances?

(CAP) After he took my advice and seen a sports psychologist, we both learned some things. I train him and guide him but it's him in there fighting so I have to let him do the fighting and not force him to do something. Was a little learning for both of us and Gamma Contenders was a great place to restart. It showed big time with him just running through everyone and winning his first title.

(ALFRED) At GAMMA, Paulin has defeated some huge names in the Heavyweight/Super Heavyweight division. Diarmund Curry, Orpheus Boagrius and most recently Crotch Grabber for the GAMMA heavyweight title. Did you expect to defeat these fighters so easily and can you tell us your initial reaction after seeing them go down. I imagine you were quite pleased as not many would have picked Paulin to win.

(CAP) Paulin got the call up to Gamma right after winning the contenders title. He wanted back in a big show and was his chance. I'm not sure they had much faith in him but I did and could see it. He surprised everyone though including myself by just running though the division. Some very big names on that list. He isn't the young kid anymore it's his time.

ALFRED) Paulin is slated to face Orpheus Boagrius once more on the 16th May. This will be the first title defence of his new belt. How do you see this fight going down? Do you think it will be similar to their first meeting?

(CAP) I'm really surprised Grabber didn't want a rematch right away, but then again he never took a beating like that. So Boagrius gets his shot and a rematch on top of it. This is MMA and you just never know but I see it going pretty much as first fight. Paulin knows what he needs to do and how to win

(ALFRED) Paulin is an elite striker but his grappling game lags some way behind and further inspection of your roster I noticed a similar trend. Great stand up orientated fighters with wrestling usually the least rounded skill? Do you think this is a fair assessment and if so can you tell us why you train your guys this way?

(CAP) Paulin is a great striker but he has ground skill also just chooses not to show them off really. He isn't a Gracie or a Mark Coleman so doesn't have the belts or all showing it off. With such big rings and crowds screaming wanting stand ups wrestling and BJJ just isn't used as much. Still very useful skills just Tycoon crowds like lots of action it seems.

(ALFRED) Is Paulin the best fighter you have ever had on your roster. If not who do you think has been?

(CAP) No Paulin isn't the best fighter. I think Karl Denke was my guy fighter ever, if I knew then what I know now he would of been a real top guy. Paulin has turned out to be one of my favourite guys though. But depends if he can snatch the #1 p4p ranking then he will leave no doubt he is / was my best guy

(ALFRED) OK, last question Cap. Paulin is still only 29. Quite young in tycoon terms and still a good few years left ahead of him. How far do you think he can go? Do you think you can get him to #1 p4p in the game? Also, can you tell us if you are excited for anyone else on your roster right now.

(CAP) Oh yea Paulin still has a lot left and I do think he can reach #1 p4p. Hopefully on May 16th you will see him become #1 p4p. I'm not going to give out names but I do feel have a couple to watch out for. They will be awhile though they have had some tough times with the transition over to MMA but they will get it just like Paulin and some of my other guys have.

(ALFRED) Thanks again Cap and best of luck to you both on the 16th.

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...