Slider Fu where are you?

SteelPenn

I'm not saying this is the case for you SP, but I think much of the problem for people is build issues. I would say that 4 of the 5 fa's I pick up are poorly built fighters. IMO build>hiddens>>sliders when it comes to who is going to win a fight. However, if your sliders are outright horrible it throws the first two out the window.

A case in point is duphus. He was my mentee, but his slider style is pretty far apart from mine. But he does make very good builds in the vein that I taught him when he first started. Both of us consistently produce top guys even though our slider styles are pretty far apart.

JLP, now I know why my best fighters are free agents........I didn't build them.

Would you be willing to educate me on how to build a fighter properly?

Here is my most recent project. He was created Jan. 28th His Hiddens at creation I ticked were KO power, Granite Chin, and fast learner. He is a fast learner he popped from Useless -- to Abysmal after 2 1 on 1 elite sessions. I was going for a MT base. Thoughts........

http://i60.tinypic.com/t64cpv.jpg

Oh man...... After I wrote all this remembered we are talking about sliders not builds, my bad I will post in another thread.

I am still welcome to all of your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

I hope you are still focusing cardio, I wouldn't be doing any secondary training until his cardio is Exceptional. Ironically, your builds are a lot like I'm doing mine save for a few details. Dunno why you spaced out your points in physicals, should of put it all to speed or balance since useless to competition is easier to get to than competent to wonderful.

I hope you are still focusing cardio, I wouldn't be doing any secondary training until his cardio is Exceptional. Ironically, your builds are a lot like I'm doing mine save for a few details. Dunno why you spaced out your points in physicals, should of put it all to speed or balance since useless to competition is easier to get to than competent to wonderful.

10 or 11 is fine for conditioning more than likely. Don't want to waste time on physicals.

I will say this, just as important as sliders is proper game-planning for the fight from the day you accept it. I thought this was common knowledge but The Wolf shocked me, lol

I agree, important to know what the other guy does well when you accepts fights and be able to prepare for it

10 or 11 is fine for conditioning more than likely. Don't want to waste time on physicals.

I agree, important to know what the other guy does well when you accepts fights and be able to prepare for it

Physicals play a big part in the fight. It's not a waste of time.

Sliders are very difficult initially as they are significantly different at the top tier than it is with projects than it is with middle of the road fighters. Also, weight class makes a difference in how I adjust mine.

Have enough fights and experiment. Giving the answers is something I'm not a fan of really because it's such a small community that if top members share their builds and slidders then everyone will be the same and there is no journey or sense of accomplishment for those that copy these builds/slidders.

I just made things up as I went along. You should have seen my initial builds, total trash.

• Upvote 3

Giving the answers is something I'm not a fan of really because it's such a small community that if top members share their builds and slidders then everyone will be the same and there is no journey or sense of accomplishment for those that copy these builds/slidders.

yes. I've been saying this ever since psumike made his guide to fighter builds. way too much info sharing here, always has been. I mean, it's cool that people help others out...but it can ruin a lot.

not just the sense of accomplishment being squashed either. it's also the fact that people will set sliders or build a type of fighter, based off of someone else's info and if they succeed with it or fail...they don't kno why, then they're in the same boat they started out in in the first place.

I'd agree with you Bowser & JBomb if you didn't get all the fight engine discussion threads we have. Due to those threads & the constant "this is broken" or "ground game is dead" threads that are constantly popping up....I tend to prefer that people have as much info as possible. Otherwise people are constantly clamoring for things to "get fixed" that aren't broken to begin with.

If I teach people the mechanics of why things work the way they do & then I get beat because they scouted better or guessed right on what tactics I was gonna use (since mine constantly change) then that's my own damn fault. I'd prefer everyone "gets it" & we have less "broken" threads & less unecessary changes than to keep my secrets close to my vest for the sake of disparity. Any manager worth his salt can read fights & pick up on trends and we usually adapt to what works anyway.
It's no mystery that Bowser & quite a few other top managers are pushing pretty high aggression right now. It's trendy until the next trend starts.
  • Upvote 1

it's also the fact that people will set sliders or build a type of fighter, based off of someone else's info and if they succeed with it or fail...they don't kno why, then they're in the same boat they started out in in the first place.

I do agree with this to a point but that's why I really try to not give advice like that. I tend to try more of a philosophical approach & help you figure out why fights turn out the way they do. Instead of set this aggression & this accuracy/damage. Advice like that might help people find a setting that works a high % of the time but then they're left wondering what went wrong when it doesn't.

If you can teach how to figure out what went wrong then people can adjust on their own. I believe their a multiple paths to victory in any fight. Once you got down the concept it all comes down to preference

• Upvote 1

I would be honored and excited to receive any advice your willing to give me Mr. McDonnell. PM sent.

Bowser was an original member of my The Steel Penn Alliance. I can remember having a higher ranking them him, back in 2010. Now he has out ranked me for years. He got it. I did not. But soon.

Slider Fu, I'm coming for you.

Its a waste of your fighter's best years of learning speed was the point if i understood correctly....You are better off picking up your physicals later down the line before youre fully fighting.

that was under the old, uncapped system. the worst thing that can happen to a fighter now is to cap out before your physicals are fully developed.

• Upvote 2

Surely the idea of the perfect slider set is a bit of a misnomer?

If I understand the game mechanics correctly (and I may not), surely the balance is massively dependant on 100 small factors that change depending on the circumstances of both fighters and how they have been managed. A fighter who is well designed and has been blessed with great hiddens will create a bigger margin of error for slider settings (and is likely to carry them through lesser competition) but ultimately it will be reading an opponent correctly that will separate the best from the best.

Surely the idea of the perfect slider set is a bit of a misnomer?

If I understand the game mechanics correctly (and I may not), surely the balance is massively dependant on 100 small factors that change depending on the circumstances of both fighters and how they have been managed. A fighter who is well designed and has been blessed with great hiddens will create a bigger margin of error for slider settings (and is likely to carry them through lesser competition) but ultimately it will be reading an opponent correctly that will separate the best from the best.

Something along those lines, they are however certain slider combo's which increase the chance of victory but at bigger weights, hiddens are king, at lower weights its down to builds and sliders. That isn't to say that bigger weights don't require the same level of detail in sliders but it is a lot easier to crack the combo at bigger weights than smaller weights.

It's no mystery that Bowser & quite a few other top managers are pushing pretty high aggression right now. It's trendy until the next trend starts.

I think that many can attest to the fact that setting high aggression does not win you fights. I can guarantee many of my opponents set high aggro and walk away with an L. That is a legitimate strategy depending on who your opponent is, but it is also very bad depending on who your opponent is.

I'm not he best manager in the world, but why not? If you still looking, pm me

You prolly understand the mechanics of this game better than 99% of the rest, and you were my original mentor so thumbs up.

I agree, shortfuse is the one the explained the ground game to me. Very easy to figure out once he explained how it works slider wise and moves per slider settings.

• Upvote 1

I agree, shortfuse is the one the explained the ground game to me. Very easy to figure out once he explained how it works slider wise and moves per slider settings.

Is there a pantheon of 'mentor's' from the games past?

I would be interested in knowing who laid the ground work (outside the big boss obviously)

I'm not saying this is the case for you SP, but I think much of the problem for people is build issues. I would say that 4 of the 5 fa's I pick up are poorly built fighters. IMO build>hiddens>>sliders when it comes to who is going to win a fight. However, if your sliders are outright horrible it throws the first two out the window.

A case in point is duphus. He was my mentee, but his slider style is pretty far apart from mine. But he does make very good builds in the vein that I taught him when he first started. Both of us consistently produce top guys even though our slider styles are pretty far apart.

I agree on the FA's, while many maybe high skilled or have decent hiddens many are complete crap as far as builds and wasted points.

On a side note: I'm to lazy to really care enough about hiddens, I keep guys that I shouldn't cause I don't feel like starting over, lol. If you go thru many of my fighters, I rarely have guys with really good chins as a matter of fact I think I have made a total of 2 granites my entire time here and I always pick chin at creation. I'm just unlucky in the chin department for some reason and rarely pick confidence but seem to get that a lot, lol.

The point of this above post is: While I don't feel I have gotten really really great hidden guys on average but I can take many of them to top 100 or 50 P4P without much trouble. However the lack of really good hiddens is the reason I can't keep guys in the top 10 P4P for very long and yet to get a guy better then top 4 I think. I think with build and learning speed and reasonable sliders and scouting, about any average hidden fighter can make the top 50 if not dabble close to top 10, just not able to stay there.

I think shortfuse falls into this catagory also, he has taken most of all his guys to top 100 without great hiddens for the ones that don't have them. So it's not that hard and many others have done the same thing.

I constantly bugged JLP for the first 2 months or so of our mentorship as I didn't get one until 4 months into playing, probably drove him semi crazy. However I did listen and learned from him, so I don't think it bothered him that much.

Things to keep in mind on mentorships:

1. Learn and don't ask the same questions all the time

2. Don't ask for gym spots

3. Don't ask for cash

4. Don't ask for VIP

5. Take notes as the info can be overwhelming at times (goes with #1)

6. learn the basics: fighter builds, training, hiddens, ToTT and scouting, sliders

7. Ask questions, don't rely on the mentor to come to you with suggestions.

Most of the time a mentor will/can give you any of the 2 thru 4, but don't ask for it or expect that they should just give it to ya and if they do once don't expect them to do it again.

This has driven many of the good mentors out of the mentoring process, IMO.

All of the above is just my Opinion and doesn't make it right or true as there is many ways to play the game and do it well and it doesn't have to be my way.

• Upvote 5

Yeah it seems the slightest little detail in sliders can ruin a fight for you. I have also noticed that quite a few top managers fell off right after the last fight engine change which is a sign of not adjusting to the strengths of the new slider system.

Some of this is recognizing that the engine changes have changed the game. With the last changes the common high agg/acc became much less successful then in the past, the ones that didn't recognize it are the ones that started struggling. Then add in the fact that the engine changes took away a fair amount of the counter TD's, that it sort of hurt many builds may of us had at the time so we started struggling with them.

It's really the ones that notice the impact the engine changes have and makes adjustments or that the changes benefited their current fighter builds.

• Upvote 2