When to spar

XxxtremeT13

So, Im trying to get an idea when its best to really start sparring? I have a few 18 and 19 year olds now and Im just trying to get some insight on when I should or when most of you start doing sparring training.... should I continue with my current secondary skill training until hes like 25 when hes gains really start to slow or should I consider implementing AM or PM sessions to sparring and the opposite to secondary training? Would this be a waist of skill gains from the young fighters by taking away 6 training sessions with coaches or could they still see a large amount of gains toward their primary skill and some up tick in their secondary skill too??

One thing I know is you should never spar in back to back training sessions. I usually keep all my sparring set to either all AM or all PM sparring sessions. If you spar boxing on a monday night than spar jiu jitsu tuesday morning, the tuesday morning sparring session always seems to take a slight hit in how productive it actually was and it gives my fighters a bigger hit to their stamina as well(I guess with perfect conditioning this may not be a problem). You should always train up the secondaries you want to make better faster, because bjj does improve a lot of other things i.e. defensive grappling, submissions, etc. But if you want your fighter to be a better submission fighter, you should implement a few submission offensive training sessions as well. It's kind of give and take, like you don't want your fighter doing a ton of muy thai if he isn't going to be a muy thai fighter, instead I would do clinch work with a coach and defensive striking then the muy thai will increase over time slowly but it won't give you skill points where yo don't need them. I would never do back to back sparring sessions if you do one Monday morning wait until Tuesday morning or night to spar again. hope this helped, sometimes I tend to ramble.

• Upvote 1

If you want to be a fighting manager you gonna need to spar a bit no choice really.

Training managers will max secondaries as much as possible for a year , the super patient ones even longer. The current number one dude Coffey trained some of his granite chin projects from 2016-1018. You get a pretty huge edge that way but man I could never do that.