I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

I start my first 'real' day of training tonight :-) A question for those who train: should i wear a cup? I took a knee to the groin on my trail day and it wasnt very pleasant lol

I dont train anymore but I never wore a cup.. rarely wore one when I boxed (except tournaments)

Im not sure if they would work but you might try using compression shorts.

I've never worn one either, nor do I know anyone that wears one.

They're banned in most tournaments too since they can give you an advantage when it comes to armbars (seriously).

I dont train anymore but I never wore a cup.. rarely wore one when I boxed (except tournaments)

Im not sure if they would work but you might try using compression shorts.

Yeah my boys were going every which way Lol i had on regular boxers that day. I picked up i pack of compression shorts and am gonna get a decent rash guard when i get paid this week. Should i go with compression shorts and broad shorts or compression pants and broad shorts. I sweat a decent amount and dont wanna be that guy who sweats all over everyone lol

I always wear a cup personally. Some guys don't, but most of the people I train with wear cups in training at least.

Wear whatever you like man, you're gonna sweat all over people anyways. Nature of the sport and all that.

Also I'd just like to point out that the leg reaping rules in BJJ are fucking silly.

Such odd rules aren't they? As for whomever said they aren't a viable option in comp's don't kid yourself, people drop back for legs all the time. Used to be if someone was going for a leg lock and you moved their foot off your hip and in between your hips (on your stomach or some close place) you could get the other guy DQ'd. I hear now if you do that you can get yourself DQ'd. One of our purples is all about the 50/50 and leg attacks right now and I hate it.

I start my first 'real' day of training tonight :-) A question for those who train: should i wear a cup? I took a knee to the groin on my trail day and it wasnt very pleasant lol

I don't wear a cup for straight BJJ training, if we're incorporating some wrassling I usually will. Most BJJ comp's don't allow competitors to wear them anyway so you may as well get used to not using them. Careful pulling on an armbar too hard, or you'll risk smashing your fellas back inside. Cups sure make them easier to finish in my experience, don't have to hip up quite as much.

Everything went very good today. I did get tapped once by triangle, but I was rolling with a purple belt so it was bound to happen. BUt he explained what I did wrong and showed me what i should have done instead, which was very helpful. In rolling with a white belt I managed to get an armbar, atriangle and I dont really know the name of it but I had a "pressure mount" i think it was called. I had my arm under his neck and used my shoulder to push on his neck. Whatever it was it worked LOL.

Everything went very good today. I did get tapped once by triangle, but I was rolling with a purple belt so it was bound to happen. BUt he explained what I did wrong and showed me what i should have done instead, which was very helpful. In rolling with a white belt I managed to get an armbar, atriangle and I dont really know the name of it but I had a "pressure mount" i think it was called. I had my arm under his neck and used my shoulder to push on his neck. Whatever it was it worked LOL.

My brain is a bit fuddled right now, so not sure if I read right, but it sounds like a Von Flue choke, unless you weren't in Side Control

My brain is a bit fuddled right now, so not sure if I read right, but it sounds like a Von Flue choke, unless you weren't in Side Control

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XbJgfxHNxWk/TehzZzdRSfI/AAAAAAAABus/46XDbVKliEU/s1600/Low%2Bmount%2Bwith%2Bgrapevine.jpg

I was in the bottom pictures type of mount and used my left shoulder to push down in his neck while I grabbed my left hand and pulled up on the back of his neck

• Upvote 1

I don't wear a cup for straight BJJ training, if we're incorporating some wrassling I usually will. Most BJJ comp's don't allow competitors to wear them anyway so you may as well get used to not using them. Careful pulling on an armbar too hard, or you'll risk smashing your fellas back inside. Cups sure make them easier to finish in my experience, don't have to hip up quite as much.

You know what they call grappling with no wrassling?

Prancing.

Locked in my first triangle today :) also got my first scare. My elbow popped while in a keylock/Americana. I think its ok though, probaby gonna hurt tommorrow :-(

Triangle is a solid technique to learn :) it can be used from, guard, mount, side control bottom, back control... also, I love to transition to armbar or omoplata if opponent refuses to tap from triangle :) it is a great tool for control :)

Got my first bruised rib, didnt hurt so much last night when it happened but when i got up this morning i could damn sure feel it, any pressure pressed on that rib hurts bad. Im gonna try to roll tonight but i may have to sit out if it hurts too bad, we have a sub only tournament coming up in a few weeks that i cant afford to be injured for.

You got any ear stuff yet? I remember a mate of mine started BJJ and said his ears were the sorest thing in his life to that point.

I've only rolled a few times, but I love the Omoplata / Gogoplata leg triangle on the arm. I think I managed to hit a Gogo once (not like it's impressed when I watch MMA and the other person never has, and neither of us do BJJ. I can't hit a triangle for shit because my legs are really big (fat) which provides way too much room for movement when I lock it in. I also found it ridiculously hard to finish armbars. RNC is hard to lock in without strikes too. I never think of things like Americana or Kimura either. I did once finish with the Frank Mir / Jon Jones armlock though which was cool.

Havent been to many BJJ classes, but one time i did i got a strange submission. Went for a gogoplata but my legs being too fat and me not being the most flexible person my knee ended up on the other dudes face (with me underneath him) so i pulled the back of his head into my knee lol. Is that a thing?

I plan on getting back into it sooner or later once i get a bit fitter :D

Hope your rib isnt too badly hurt skull. Go and win that tourny (use my facecrusher to win)

Havent been to many BJJ classes, but one time i did i got a strange submission. Went for a gogoplata but my legs being too fat and me not being the most flexible person my knee ended up on the other dudes face (with me underneath him) so i pulled the back of his head into my knee lol. Is that a thing?

I plan on getting back into it sooner or later once i get a bit fitter :D

Hope your rib isnt too badly hurt skull. Go and win that tourny (use my facecrusher to win)

That sounds like a MORE flexible version of the gogoplata lol. Usually you pull the back of their head into your shin, so if you had your leg the whole way across with the knee that seems like more flexibility haha.

Would just be a harder finish since their head can slip off the knee to either side where as the shin will be flat.

That's one thing, my legs are pretty ridiculously big. Like I'm hardly rocking a 6 pack up top but I've get the legs of like an 18 stone guy lol. I'd pretty much have the size of legs that Hunt has sans pro fighter muscle, but for some reason they're ridiculously flexible. Would love to do jiu jitsu to test myself out.

Looking now, I see there appears to be a solid enough jiu jitsu spot where I'm going to college at the end of the summer. Do you guys recommend I start in the beginners class for it?