Sun Kato Fighter Interviews

Rambo

Shortly after FWI-5 Bodily Harm, Sun Kato released a statement about his performance against 1-0, 220 pound, Herman "The German" Schultz. Here is the English translation.

Sun Kato "I came out and did what I trained to do. I proved I was versatile on the feet and the ground. When the fight would no longer continue on the feet, I finished him on the ground with a submission. He left his neck unprotected and his arm out, I took advantage of it and put him to sleep with the arm triangle. I look forward to my next fight, Chris is trying to get it done as soon as possible."

Here is a highlight reel from the fight.

The bell rings for round one and we are underway!

Kato throws a front kick that sends Schultz stumbling back into the cage.

Schultz takes a body kick right on the floating rib. Ouchie.

Kato plants his feet and lands a nice head kick!

CUT

It looks like Herman Schultz has been cut.

We've seen a great period of action over the last minute or so - credit to both fighters for going all out!

Kato lands a jab-cross combination.

Schultz misses with a body kick.

Kato misses with a takedown attempt. He shot from a bit too far out.

Kato digs a good hook to Schultz's body.

Schultz is breathing heavily.

Kato changes levels and looks for a double leg takedown. Schultz tries to avoid it but Kato manages to keep hold of a leg and drag Schultz to the ground. Schultz escapes though and pops straight back up to his feet.

Kato knocks Schultz to the floor with a head kick! Can he finish him!?

KNOCKDOWN

Schultz is rocked!

HE'S ROCKED

Kato fails to land a wild elbow strike.

SUB ATTEMPT

Kato is working to tighten is grip on Schultz's neck. He's isolated an arm and is working for an arm triangle. Schultz has recognised the danger and is trying to turn with the submission but Kato is really squeezing tight and eventually Schultz passes out! Kato breaks the hold and jumps onto the cage to celebrate! Submission of the night, I'd say!

Ladies and gentlemen, after 0:48 of round 1, we have a winner by way of Submission (Arm Triangle). Sun Kato!

http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/23/23w18.jpg

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "I am Catalina Sosa from The Beatdown and we are LIVE with 6-0 Sun Kato, another wonderful day in the Redlight disctrict at Convicted FuSion - how is your training going?"

Sun Kato "Training has been going good. My hand is still recovering from my last fight."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "Which was an exciting finish of undefeated Jake Earthquake in the 3rd round at Anger Management. It was reported that you broke your hand in that fight, how do you feel coming off another impressive win?"

Sun Kato "I feel great, I just fractured a few knuckles, nothing serious. Jake can take a beating, one solid chin. I respect him as a fighter."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "You've won 6 in a row, Logan Mikki announced the 205 Light Heavyweight tournament bracket today, have you had a chance to look at it?"

Sun Kato "Chris faxed it to me."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "Any thoughts?"

Sun Kato "I believe I'll be victorious regardless of my opponents. I will train hard and I have faith in my abilities that I'll defeat any fighter in this tournament. I will be the first Light Heavyweight champion of Fightworld International."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "Your first opponent looks like it'll be Juan Ramirez? What should we expect?"

Sun Kato "A short fight and my hand raised at the end of it."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "Any other fighter in this tournament that you are hoping you see at the end? Who would you like to fight for the title?"

Sun Kato "The american Paul Pardo. He declined a fight against me so I hope he progresses to the end so I can go toe to toe with him for the belt."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "A very explosive fighter, he's finished all of his fights under a minute, possibely the biggest threat for you."

Sun Kato "I've seen little film on him, his fights haven't lasted long. His knockout win at FWI-8 Anger Management was impressive. It'll be an interesting challenge but I will be training hard, and hope he has what it takes to get to the end."

Catalina Sosa The Beatdown "Thanks for your time and answering the questions, The Beatdown will be keeping track of this story and Fightwold International's LHW tournament. See you soon and good luck."

N E W 08-10-10

Julie Chan The Beatdown "Hello I am Julie Chan from The Beatdown and we are fortunate enough today to be sitting with Fight World International's Light Heavyweight Champion Sun Kato."

Sun Kato "Konichiwa."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "Good afternoon Mr. Kato. You are often described as the light heavyweight version of Hakuin Ekaku, the next big thing from Japan, how does this make you feel?"

Sun Kato "Honored. I was privileged enough to train with Zen at Convicted Top Team in Las Vegas. Even though he is smaller, he's a great fighter. True warrior, better than myself."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "You won the Light Heavyweight tournament capturing the title defeating Willie Conway in a fight that went 5 rounds. Since then you've defended your title successfully twice against Tony Sparks & Paul Pardo (via unanimous decisions) with a technical striking game. You've thrown 350+ kicks, landing over 99% of them. We assume this is part of your gameplan?"

Sun Kato "I broke my hand early in the Jake Earthquake fight. I've had minor problems with it since. American doctor's said it'd heal faster if I rested it - so I stopped punching people as much."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "Smart adjustment."

Sun Kato "Take the legs from a fighter and you take the heart from his chest. I enjoy inflicting pain on my opponents. Hurt them for 30 minutes and make's all that training worth it."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "You seemed to clean out Fightworld's 205 division, there's a couple contenders that have been making a name for themselves though - is there anybody you'd like to fight?"

Sun Kato "I want to fight Josh Powers. He's undefeated and has destroyed his last 3 opponents. Not afraid to stand and fight and I believe he's earned a shot at the title that I hold."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "What about Johannes van Bruggen? He's an Amsterdam native listed as the #1 contender and he's undefeated at 5-0 on a 5 fight win streak in Fightworld International."

Sun Kato "I would like to fight him too. But he is boring fighter. They question my chin since getting rocked by Tony Sparks early in round one, so I want to fight somebody who isn't scared to stand and put on a show for the fans."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "I am sure the fans would love to see both fights. You've been training in the states for quite some time, traveling back and forth between Las Angeles & Las Vegas to Amsterdam. Does traveling wear on your body?"

Sun Kato "I can not receive the training I receive in the U.S. at Convicted Top Team and Convicted Redemption anywhere else in the world. I believe I have proved that I can go to war for 5 rounds, my cardio and physical condition should not be in question. I actually enjoy flying between cities, the mile high club has a great view."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "I bet it does Mr. Kato. Thank you for your time answering these questions, The Beatdown always enjoys your company. Regardless of your next opponent we wish you good luck."

Sun Kato "I want to fight Josh Powers. He's undefeated and has destroyed his last 3 opponents. Not afraid to stand and fight and I believe he's earned a shot at the title that I hold."

Julie Chan The Beatdown "What about Johannes van Bruggen? He's an Amsterdam native listed as the #1 contender and he's undefeated at 5-0 on a 5 fight win streak in Fightworld International."

Sun Kato "I would like to fight him too. But he is boring fighter. They question my chin since getting rocked by Tony Sparks early in round one, so I want to fight somebody who isn't scared to stand and put on a show for the fans."

Van Bruggen questions your ability to stop takedowns... but go run to powers if you must. He is more on Sun Kato's level anyway.

• 2 months later...
Van Bruggen questions your ability to stop takedowns... but go run to powers if you must. He is more on Sun Kato's level anyway.

Sun Kato "I am not worried about being taken down by Van Bruggen, if I have to win by submission I will take it if he gives it to me, otherwise I am gunning for the knockout. His last performance over Powers was his most impressive performance and I am looking forward to kicking his legs or his head off. I inform all those who will be in attendance to bring a net and catch any limb or ligament I may happen to kick off into the crowd. I will sign it, with signature, after the fight."

• 2 weeks later...