Preference of modalities and real self-defense

ssjtaz

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which striking modality do you prefer and for what reason? Boxing or Muay Thai?

• Boxing
    • Muay Thai
    • Other

Hello! I'm from Rio de Janeiro, a recent Jiu-Jitsu blue belt from Gracie Humaitá, I've been training Wrestling since I was 18 years old and I've been training Boxing and Muay Thai since I was 13 years old (15 years of training between back and forth).

I currently weigh 180lbs and am 1.65m tall (5'5).

I always felt much more comfortable with Boxing than with Muay Thai and thinking about it I want to know about you.

Which striking modality do you prefer and for what reason? Boxing or Muay Thai?

I prefer Boxing for its objectivity, head movement and angles.

Because it is low, movement is very important and boxing can be used in any environment (street, nightclub, elevator, wet floor, among others ...)

• Upvote 1

Kick, punch. Anything with gloves preferred. No headgear. Getting poked in the eye is bullshit, but I'll take it over getting kicked in the nuts without a cup. I've only kicked a person in the balls twice in my life, and it was the same person, on the same night, and they weren't wearing a cup. My foot is a little traumatized because it felt sack and potatoes and needed mucho therapy.

I voted other because styles make fights and their are styles amongst styles, different styles are better for different situations. For example, I think a Manny Pacquiao style of boxing would be good for a street fight as opposed to Mayweather, but in pure boxing Mayweather's style is superior. Mayweather is one of the best boxers against other boxers, but his style may be one of the worst for fighting a Muay Thai fighter, his left leg would get destroyed. Or singled legged against a wrestler.

I think boxing is great for self defense as long as the fighter is adjusting his/her stance and defense accordingly. But its good to know some of everything. So Id say MMA lol. The GSP strategy, shoot double legs on strikers, sprawl and strike against grapplers.

Honestly if we're talking about best suited for a street fight you just need a right/left hand w/ enough power to KO the enemy before they realize they're in a fight. Street Judas style.

So in that regard, boxing.

My entire life if somebody got aggressive or started talking shit and I knew it was going to lead to a fight, just cold clock em and the fight is over. even if they were bigger and badder they can't defend adequately when separated from equilibrium. If they have friends you can usually clean one of them out too after the one and then it's all "bar fight!" or party brawl after that.

Cheap shot? debatable.

Hands FTW in a street fight. Unless you're getting jumped by 4+ (was gonna say 10+ but let's tone it down) the smartest thing to do if you're unarmed and can't/won't run is bear hug/wrestle somebody and bury your face into their body, tuck head/chin, avoid getting chin checked or hit from side.

Punches back to the head don't bother you when you gotta big ole stop sign for a melon.

Everyone has different genes and body attributes height wise, weight etc. personally I've never been the most flexible person, even when I was younger, so for me it was boxing, and more recently Wing chun, both disciplines direct and straight to the point.

Would love to have been able to do taekwondo or kickboxing, but like I said everyone is different, and didn't suit me style wise.