The 2016/2017 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

City have been looking very good so far, the rest need work from what i see. Spurs are 3rd and we have been struggling up front in most games, our Defense is looking very solid though. I guess the biggest surprise so far are Everton, it seems Koeman actually knows what he is doing after all.

City have been looking very good so far, the rest need work from what i see. Spurs are 3rd and we have been struggling up front in most games, our Defense is looking very solid though. I guess the biggest surprise so far are Everton, it seems Koeman actually knows what he is doing after all.

Let's not get too excited - 3rd makes Spurs look a lot better than they are.

Spurs have been one of the worst performers out of the top teams, got dominated by Liverpool and should've lost badly. You'll be lucky with a 5th place finish.

Let's not get too excited - 3rd makes Spurs look a lot better than they are.

Spurs have been one of the worst performers out of the top teams, got dominated by Liverpool and should've lost badly. You'll be lucky with a 5th place finish.

2nd now. I agree, Spurs have not played very well so far, most our wins excluding Stoke have been grinds and close encounters. One thing some people forget though is that Spurs have not fielded a full squad all season. We have had a LOT of injuries, currently Rose, Dembele, Dier, Kane and Sissoko are all out and we have had issues with Lloris, Vertongen as well and we are not even into October yet.

Last year we were not very good either, we relied on the rest being shit. This year the better teams have mostly been as inconsistent as last year, with the exception of City, so 2nd or 3rd is still a possibility.

Looks like City will become champions without many problems, while the battle for 2nd-4th place will be extremely interesting with 6 serious contenders: Tottenham, Arsenal, Pool, Everton, United and Chelsea. To be honest, I am quite impressed by Arsenal managing to avoid defeat against PSG and winning Chelsea with such a big difference. Lately they were failing against top teams.

2nd now. I agree, Spurs have not played very well so far, most our wins excluding Stoke have been grinds and close encounters. One thing some people forget though is that Spurs have not fielded a full squad all season. We have had a LOT of injuries, currently Rose, Dembele, Dier, Kane and Sissoko are all out and we have had issues with Lloris, Vertongen as well and we are not even into October yet.

Last year we were not very good either, we relied on the rest being shit. This year the better teams have mostly been as inconsistent as last year, with the exception of City, so 2nd or 3rd is still a possibility.

I agree with most of that, but disagree with the last point. The top teams appear very strong this year and were only really getting one upset per week (if that) where teams drop points.

I agree with most of that, but disagree with the last point. The top teams appear very strong this year and were only really getting one upset per week (if that) where teams drop points.

So that means Spurs is doing extra great then. So far the only poor result for us was against Monaco in the CL. Most of the so called top teams have slipped at least as many times. Also, in the Liverpool game you mentioned we were really not that bad, they played good in the first half and we played better in the second, maybe they were better overall but a draw is not unreasonable.

Just as a note, 14 points out of 18 possible is about as good as it gets, in fact according to the stats, this is the best start Spurs have had in 51 years! We are not dominating games, that is true, but our defense is looking very solid. Either way, i rather be lucky than good, we have been pretty good for many years but failed to grind out results when necessary, this year we seem to be doing that with a depleted squad.

So that means Spurs is doing extra great then. So far the only poor result for us was against Monaco in the CL. Most of the so called top teams have slipped at least as many times. Also, in the Liverpool game you mentioned we were really not that bad, they played good in the first half and we played better in the second, maybe they were better overall but a draw is not unreasonable.

Just as a note, 14 points out of 18 possible is about as good as it gets, in fact according to the stats, this is the best start Spurs have had in 51 years! We are not dominating games, that is true, but our defense is looking very solid. Either way, i rather be lucky than good, we have been pretty good for many years but failed to grind out results when necessary, this year we seem to be doing that with a depleted squad.

Don't even get me started on that Liverpool game. Every Spurs fan I've spoke to is ashamed and Liverpool made Spurs players look like a bunch of school kids.

It was one of those games where it could've easily been a thrashing but things went against Liverpool.

Liverpool was probably our worse game this season and it was also the only game we were not the best team, as i said, even though we were poor, we still had the better 2nd half, i do not base our performance based upon one game anyway. Personally i think we are doing great at the moment, i mean last years EPL top scorer has started poorly and he is out injured now, Dembele has not even played this year and everyone at Spurs knows he is our best player, we rarely won games last year when he was not in the team. Rose, which is our best full back has barely played and is out injured. Sissoko has not integrated into the team and is out injured as well. Dier is out and Wanyama, Jansen + NKoudou are also still getting adapted. Despite all this, we are still only the second team in the league which is undefeated and are 2nd. If we go out and beat City with the depleted squad we have, suddenly everyone will start talking about how Spurs is a contender, if we lose they will say we will probably end up 6th. End of the day the result is what matters and at the moment the results are going our way.

I can't argue with that performance - but wait till you go to the etihad and get murdered

Like last year? :shades: Frankly speaking, i am not too worried about City, 3rd win in a row over them with an aggregate of 8-2. I am not sure what they will need to do, but it will need to be very drastic changes on their behalf. We are simply bigger, more physical and better drilled, or at least that is how it has looked in the past 3 encounters. We pressure them off the ball, they make mistakes and our style of football seems to be built in a way specialized in beating teams like that. I am more worried about playing someone like Liverpool, in other words a strong team which is willing to allow us to dictate and hit us on the counter.