Writer of the year

SteelPenn

My vote for writer of the year = Furious Styles (89328) http://www.mmatycoon.com/managerprofilemanager.php?MgrID=89328

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Voting for someone and not leaving a link to his work? :sad01_anim:

08 Nov 13 - SPFT 132: Pre Pay-Per-View Summary written by Furious Styles

What’s happenin’ cool kids? I hope all of you are well. This is your man on the scene at Wombley Stadium in London where another packed house of mixed martial arts crazies are filing in for SPFT 132! The electricity in the air is palpable and I hear a lot of fans making their predictions on who will win their respective fights tonight. Without further ado, let’s get down to business!

Steel Penn ICON brings to you the following lineup: TWO FEATHERWEIGHT, FOUR WELTERWEIGHT, WITH ONE OF THOSE FIGHTS FOR THE WELTERWEIGHT TITLE, TWO MIDDLEWEIGHT, ONE LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT AND ONE SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHT!

Beginning with the Welterweight Title match, we have “The Barracuda” Dirk Zeldenthuis (33-10) of THE STEEL PENN ALLIANCE – you know what time it is! – versus Aaron Davidson (27-11-1)…also of THE STEEL PENN ALLIANCE! Hmm, now everyone knows how I feel about Alliance mates battling one another in the cage, especially when there’s a title on the line! However, both of these warriors are very professional and I know that once the final bell has rung, they’ll return to helping one another as best as possible as Alliance members should do!

This is a return match, by the way, because these two battled at SPFT 127 where Zeldenthuis was victorious. Zeldenthuis steps into the cage on a FOUR FIGHT WIN STREAK so you know he’s feeling good about himself! Davidson had a FOUR FIGHT WIN STREAK SNAPPED by Zeldenthuis so you know he’ll be extra motivated in this championship battle! Can Zeldenthuis achieve yet another victory and retain the belt!? We shall see soon enough!

The second Welterweight battle pits “Donkey Style AKA Badonk-a” Don Key (27-7-2) of The Broken Halo Pride in the cage against “1 8 1” Kenji Okabe (31-15) of The Consortium! Key enters this fight on a TWO FIGHT WIN STREAK and is also wearing a very interesting outfit that shows an attractive young lady suggestively positioned and looking back, while Key and a donkey look forward. I really don’t know what to say about that except I somehow expect that a YouTube video will be appearing that shows the three of them engaging in…questionable…activities. I’m just sayin’! Okabe brings with him a THREE FIGHT WIN STREAK so he is also brimming with confidence! Key has the height advantage, Okabe the weight advantage, and both men have numerous fights under their belts, so this one may simply be a battle of attrition!

The third Welterweight contest gives us Luke “The Jedi Knight” Skywalker (25-10) battling Vincent “The Wolf” Volkov (33-19-1) of Hellraiser Inc! Skywalker’s use of the force hasn’t been too smooth as of late because he is currently on a THREE FIGHT LOSING STREAK! To exacerbate the situation – I know you like that college word right there! – I saw Skywalker at the Vegas airport and no, I won’t say what I was doing in Vegas because what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! – and he looked like a zombie from the Walking Dead! He doesn’t look like he wants to fight!

In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if he missed his flight to London! I don’t know how a fighter can’t get pumped up about fighting in front of so many people, but there you have it! What’s worse!? I also closely watched Volkov when he came to the arena to check things out and he looked just as disinterested as Skywalker! What is up with these two!? I think it’s a blessing that there isn’t a company willing to take bets on these two! That’s all I’m going to say about that!

The final Welterweight fight of the night features Mark Two (17-10) and Julio Driggs (22-14) of illumiNaughty! Two is on a THREE FIGHT LOSING STREAK, and quite honestly I think I know why! No fighter should be wearing an old pair of pink bikini shorts, no matter how kinky he is! Come on man, you’re a fighter, not a late night tramp walking the boulevard! What is it about you Vegas guys!? At least put on some new clothes to feel better about yourself! Driggs recently suffered a KNOCKOUT LOSS at the fist of Robin Padilla so you know he’s anxious to get back into the win column! Driggs definitely looks like the more ready of the two so I’d have to say he’s favored to win as I see it! At least he has class and is wearing an awesome Bruce Lee shirt. Who can not like an awesome Bruce Lee shirt!?

Detailing the Featherweight division, the first of two battles is between Haiki Masatupo (26027) and Will “The Beast” Banks (27-19-1) of The Legion of Pain! Masatupo is on a TWO FIGHT LOSING STREAK and seemingly, his management team can’t find a pair of clothes that he likes, so he’s still wearing the standard issue MMATycoon.com shirt and shorts! People, come on now, he has enough fights to have some money in the bank! Take that man shopping at least so he can feel better about himself! Banks looks primed, ready and has trained for this fight, I can tell! I have the feeling he’ll SNAP HIS RECENT UNANIMOUS DECISION LOSS to Genki Dama! Plus, he has the wardrobe advantage because that young lady’s picture on his shirt is something else! I think Banks wins this one folks!

The last Featherweight fight on the card places Marty Laguna (27-15) of The Black Hand and “The Wizard” Xavier Cid (24-10) of Children of the Law of One! Laguna has DROPPED THREE FIGHTS IN A ROW and I think it’s time for him to change his Batman outfit and try something else! Cid will be looking to move on past his RECENT UNANIMOUS DECISION LOSS TO ZICA BRAVA, one of the recent additions to my management team! Brava has a world of respect for Cid as he gave him a tremendous fight and seeing what I did, I think Cid will be the victor of this battle! Besides, he’s wearing a Brute shirt that gives me the impression that he wants to be exactly that against Laguna; brutal!

On to the Middleweights, the first of two battles in that division takes place between “The Steamroller” Nero Aurelius (21-7-1) of The Legion of Doom and Keith Green (20-5) of DILLIGAF! Aurelius is on a TWO FIGHT WIN STREAK and is also a title holder, so he knows how to get the job done and is confident in doing so! He’s also wearing a very interesting gangster-ghost type outfit that I think looks pretty freakin’ cool! Green is on a TWO FIGHT LOSING STREAK and judging by his outfit, he’ll want to Liver Kick his way to victory over Aurelius! Both of these men are accomplished veterans so they know what to do! These two fought previously some time ago, but they’re both different fighters so I don’t think that will be a factor. Physically these two match up very well, so game planning and determination may very well be the deciding factors in this one!

The last Middleweight fight of the night places “Domino” Dominick Rivaldi (24-11-3) of THE STEEL PENN ALLIANCE – rockin’ the hooouuuuuuse! – and Chicken “And” Beef (27-16)! Rivaldi’s last fight ended in a DRAW so I have the impression he’ll be looking to end this fight so there’s no possibility of a draw or decision! Plus, how can you not root for a guy who wears an outfit depicting himself! Come on, now that’s confidence! Beef had a TWO FIGHT WIN STREAK SNAPPED at the hands of Luca Turilli by way of Unanimous Decision, so he’ll likewise want to end this fight early to avoid leaving it in the hands of the judges!

This is another fight that’s filled with plenty of fighting experience and although Beef has a height and weight advantage, I don’t think that will have much effect in this fight! Both of these warriors have won battles by various methods of victory so again, a battle of attrition may very well be seen in this fight as well!

The lone Light Heavyweight fight of the night brings us Nathan “Carnage” Corbett (18-9-1) and Somore “Tasty” Fudge (17-13-1) of Evolution Fight Clan! Corbett steps into battle with a recent TECHNICAL KNOCKOUT VICTORY over Anthony Joseph and will be looking to extend that win streak to two! Fudge RECENTLY LOST to Ansgar Axelsson so he’ll want to get off the snide as soon as possible! He may want to consider changing clothes because one, that outfit doesn’t match and two, I can tell that it’s been on his body for a while so he can’t be feeling all that great. It’s just an observation but I’ve seen enough to have a pretty good feel about these things! Fudge has a bit of a weight advantage in this fight – probably because of his fudge diet – but overall I think Corbett is the better prepared fighter!

Closing out the night of action, the Super Heavyweights step into the cage! “The Torpedo” Tore Rebo (26-14) of Polish Eagles’ Nest and French Toast (18-7) of Valhalla will bring out the heavy artillery and we’ll see who survives for the victory! Rebo RECENTLY LOST BY UNANIMOUS DECISION to Jefferson Davis Hogg so he wants to get that winning feeling back! Besides, he’s wearing an outfit that highlights himself so again, how can you go against that!? Toast is on a TWO FIGHT WIN STREAK so he has a good bit of momentum coming into this fight! The bottom line of this fight is I expect someone to be knocked the hell out! That’s it, plain and simple folks!

That concludes another Pre Pay-Per-View Summary written by yours truly and as always, I thank you for your time. Remember, Steel Penn ICON strives to bring you the very best in all of its endeavors! Take care and see you at the fights!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

What constitutes the writer of the year?

I would say Quality of the write up and Consistency. He does pre fight and post fight write ups each week both with high detail and humor.

I have had more then a handful of high level managers write me saying he is the best out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

JLP and RDalyColts, yes, I do tend to use a lot of exclamation marks because I try to emphasize a feeling of excitement, particularly for the younger managers. The real life UFC and Bellator announcers always use a great deal of excitement within their commentary, even if the information in itself is bland or arbitrary. I think they adapted the style from WWE and WCW announcers myself. Hell, Joe Rogan has that approach down pat lol

I do what I can to write informational and humorous summaries / write ups. If people like them, cool. If not, cool. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Thus is human nature :-)

• Upvote 3

cuz someone else prematurely posted an early nom for fighter of the year.

In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have titled it that. It was really not what the thread was meant to be about. More just about that I had actually been following Womba's fights this past year and wanted to show some respect for what Kelly had done. It wasn't meant to be a real nomination.

JLP and RDalyColts, yes, I do tend to use a lot of exclamation marks because I try to emphasize a feeling of excitement, particularly for the younger managers. The real life UFC and Bellator announcers always use a great deal of excitement within their commentary, even if the information in itself is bland or arbitrary. I think they adapted the style from WWE and WCW announcers myself. Hell, Joe Rogan has that approach down pat lol

I do what I can to write informational and humorous summaries / write ups. If people like them, cool. If not, cool. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Thus is human nature :-)

After reading through some of your stuff i must admit some of it is kinda entertaining. It does get a bit repetitive, a few times i thought i was reading the same write up. I will be honest and say that they are only so much shit you can write about guys with sens/elite skills unless you are the Tosen. Who basically makes up shit about this, that and the next thing, goes off on a weird tangent and always ends up back where he first started, quite a remarkable feat if you ask me.

I think its quite obvious for most who read your stuff that the exclamation marks are for fun, since your grammar and punctuation made me feel at times i was reading an essay from a English Lit student (correct me if i am wrong but its clear you have a degree of some sort in this either that or studying for it). As for writer of the year, i can see why Steel Penn would nominate you. You will be against tough competition as usual. Shortfuse, Karter and Jbomb will no doubt be up for nominations as always. All of whom are well known to us due to the fact they write about fights we care about, not just the person who is in the fight.

You will no doubt though have the backing of the full Steel Penn Alliance. Even though as we have seen in previous years and with this year no longer having the largest alliance in the game could see the monopoly over voting decrease. It will be like Gangs of New York all over again with voting this year. As for this thread being made early? Damn i used to post one out in the middle of the year. This year shit has been too close with a lot of things i haven't bothered. I will say to Steel Penn to read some other peoples stuff and see what creativity is like almost reminds me of the story when Steel Penn had to ask who Jeremy Tonal was during fighter of the year discussions a few years back. Shortfuse goes more in depth about the stats. Chris beats the living death out of a subject the way a certain Jacky does to troll, his other stuff when he is hyping a fight and not trolling is pretty damn creative. That can also be said for Jbomb who done the back stories into the ITFL this year. I was once like this, consistent and wrote for many companies over a 4 month span when i joined the game, Its no substitute for the creativity some people bring to the game.

If you want to be taken seriously for the award don't just write the same shit that anyone can process out. Do something interesting such as Fuse and his interviews for fights. Unless my fighter is fighting in a certain fight i do not read the generic write ups you see a lot of and i was very fucking guilty of it when i was writing for orgs. Its rare to find people who enjoy writing which you clearly do, don't take this as me ripping apart what you are doing. It is more constructive criticism for what you have done and ways to improve it. It took me over a year to figure that one out and do different creative stuff and i actually started to enjoy writing again. So you never know letting some creativity into your write ups may make it less of a chore as time goes on, take it from me and many others who i followed in their footsteps that told me the same thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

After reading through some of your stuff i must admit some of it is kinda entertaining. It does get a bit repetitive, a few times i thought i was reading the same write up. I will be honest and say that they are only so much shit you can write about guys with sens/elite skills unless you are the Tosen. Who basically makes up shit about this, that and the next thing, goes off on a weird tangent and always ends up back where he first started, quite a remarkable feat if you ask me.

I think its quite obvious for most who read your stuff that the exclamation marks are for fun, since your grammar and punctuation made me feel at times i was reading an essay from a English Lit student (correct me if i am wrong but its clear you have a degree of some sort in this either that or studying for it). As for writer of the year, i can see why Steel Penn would nominate you. You will be against tough competition as usual. Shortfuse, Karter and Jbomb will no doubt be up for nominations as always. All of whom are well known to us due to the fact they write about fights we care about, not just the person who is in the fight.

You will no doubt though have the backing of the full Steel Penn Alliance. Even though as we have seen in previous years and with this year no longer having the largest alliance in the game could see the monopoly over voting decrease. It will be like Gangs of New York all over again with voting this year. As for this thread being made early? Damn i used to post one out in the middle of the year. This year shit has been too close with a lot of things i haven't bothered. I will say to Steel Penn to read some other peoples stuff and see what creativity is like almost reminds me of the story when Steel Penn had to ask who Jeremy Tonal was during fighter of the year discussions a few years back. Shortfuse goes more in depth about the stats. Chris beats the living death out of a subject the way a certain Jacky does to troll, his other stuff when he is hyping a fight and not trolling is pretty damn creative. That can also be said for Jbomb who done the back stories into the ITFL this year. I was once like this, consistent and wrote for many companies over a 4 month span when i joined the game, Its no substitute for the creativity some people bring to the game.

If you want to be taken seriously for the award don't just write the same shit that anyone can process out. Do something interesting such as Fuse and his interviews for fights. Unless my fighter is fighting in a certain fight i do not read the generic write ups you see a lot of and i was very fucking guilty of it when i was writing for orgs. Its rare to find people who enjoy writing which you clearly do, don't take this as me ripping apart what you are doing. It is more constructive criticism for what you have done and ways to improve it. It took me over a year to figure that one out and do different creative stuff and i actually started to enjoy writing again. So you never know letting some creativity into your write ups may make it less of a chore as time goes on, take it from me and many others who i followed in their footsteps that told me the same thing.

same here. when i did reviews, it was very boring, I was very boring. i had to combine my interviews and bios style with my reviews and previews, along the way dropping the review part altogether becuz anyone can read the fight or see the outcome and that didn't interest me at all, and developed a style i really enjoy doing, when i have the time and the story.

i started doing the twitter feed style becuz it seemed relevant and it didn't require as much writing...even tho it does require a bit more formatting.

one thing i've always enjoyed the most is the story, the history behind the fight and fighters, the lore...who are they outside of the cage? what's their personality? what makes them who they are? i mean, we only see their past fights, percentages and 4 attributes. there's a LOT more to a fighter than just his boxing ability or bjj belt...THAT'S what i like to read and write.

Dino just wrote an essay to get himself nominated for write of the year :P

lolz

When I finish my exams I'll churn out 20 writeups in 2 weeks and make you all cry as I ride into the sunset with every typing-related award there is. I am also gunning for "most handsome young man".

• Upvote 1

I tried to make my writeups interesting by taking the piss out of the fighters and brutally mocking the org whenever the fights were mismatched or obvious record paddings or whatever. Giving hilarious (to me) nicknames to the fighters helped some too. It does take a lot of effort to keep shit fresh though because ideally you'll be PM'ing the managers involved for short snippets of text to use for the preview/review to give some flavour and interaction.

• Upvote 1

When I finish my exams I'll churn out 20 writeups in 2 weeks and make you all cry as I ride into the sunset with every typing-related award there is. I am also gunning for "most handsome young man".

I wrote previews and reviews for an average of 3 orgs a week for an entire year and you still won the award. I'd just write 'Your MUM' on the back of a public toilet door and wait to collect your award ;)