Go Okami Fighter Interviews

Rambo

Jun 18th radio interview with Go Okami in Osaka, Japan (translated to english);

We are here live with Osaka's own home town MMA fighter Go "Tsunami" Okamiiii... it is good to have you Go.

"Hello. Great day it is today."

Couldn't agree more. After a first round KO victory over Kalevi Perse, you make your KING OF KINGS debut on the 22nd

"Correct."

So how do you feel going into this fight? Do you have any thoughts on your opponent?

"I am training hard at Tokyo Shooto. I hear he has a purple belt in jujitsu so I have been in the gym training with instructor Triangle, doing everything I can to make sure my opponent does not submit me. I feel very confident going into this fight, I did not come to KING OF KINGS to lose."

It's obvious you want to keep this one standing...

"Yes but I will be prepared to fight on the ground. I do not expect him to stay on his feet for long."

Why?

"I respect him as a fighter but he does not want to stand toe to toe with me more than he has to."

Why is that?

"It would benefit him not to."

Ha, you're confident in your boxing. Anything you would like Logan Strauss to know?

"I have been training very hard. I fight to win."

I'm sure he does too, anything else you would like to say?

"Be ready for a fight or you will regret it when you wake up."

Good stuff! That's what I was waiting for - it was good having you Go, we wish you the best of luck. People of Osaka, that was your very own Go Okami.. He will be making his KING OF KINGS debut against Nazi fighter Logan Strauss at the Underground in Tokyo on 6/22/09. Go there and show your support!

Jun 22nd post fight press conference with Go Okami after KING OF KINGS 4th ADVANCE [ WATCH THE FIGHT HERE ]

How do you feel about your unanimous decision loss to Logan Strauss?

Cracking a smile and shaking off some of the jitters from the fight, Go Okami takes a deep breath then replies.

"I am ready for round 3."

Okami laughs for a short second.

We all are after that, things just started to heat up at the end and get exciting. What are your thoughts on the fight?

"Even though I lost the decision, I would still rather be me then him. I take nothing away from his victory but physically I feel fine, I feel like I won. My face is fine, I'm not hurt and there are no marks. I know I hurt him, you can look at him yourself. I am not scared of him, I thought I could of finished him at the end. I have no excuses but I am very disappointed with the decision."

You spent most of this fight on your back, you wanted to keep the fight standing, how do you feel about that?

"I apologize for the slow start, I was forcing combinations together trying to give the fans what they wanted to see and my technique was sloppy. I never intended to be on my back for so long. I knew he didn't want to stand with me, I'm upset with myself for letting him take me down as much as he did. He scored takedowns but I feel I like I did good on the ground. He couldn't improve his position, he couldn't land any strikes and I defended every submission he attempted. He is a purple belt, I thought I did very well. I don't understand how the judges could say I lost that fight, or how they can choose him as the winner. The crowd was cheering for me."

He pauses.

"I am the hometown favorite."

He laughs, kinda sarcastically seeing how he lost a UD and the judges were japanese.

How do you plan on moving on?

"Simple. I will move on. I will take a day or two off and get back in the gym immediately. Life can be too short to waste time, I obviously have a few things to work on and there is always room for improvement. I will be training hard for my next fight."

What will you take out of this fight, what have you learned?

"I know if I want to win I need to finish my opponent, don't let the judges choose a winner."

Will we see a rematch?

The eye of the tiger is in Okami's eyes now...

"Ask Mr. Masakari."

He pauses lightens up, then continues.

"As of right now this fight is in the past, I am putting it behind me and moving forward. I will use any frustration and disappointment as fuel to my energy and I will be training harder then ever."

Where does your future lay in the KING OF KINGS organization?

"Once again, ask Mr. Masakari."

He stands up as if a reminder light went off in his head, bows towards the reporters, press, and crowd at the post fight press conference.

"My time is up, got a few judges to talk to."