X Com

Mentor

I am a massive fan of this game, in fact i love all Firaxis games in general (they only have 2 major releases, this one and Civilization). I would say that this game is probably one of my top 10 all time games. I started playing it back in the 90s with their first release, but their more recent releases are fantastic. Funny thing is that my kids got really into the game as well, so it is not just one of those games old people like.

More on the game here:

https://xcom.com/

Their latest version XCOM 2 came out earlier this year, but the older versions are almost as good (they came out in 2012 / 2013) . I recommend buying those and maybe upgrading.

I highly recommend Enemy Within with the long war mod to anyone who's even remotely interested in strategy games.

Always been a huge X-Com fan. Played through the enemy within right off the bat when it was released. Wasn't aware of this long war mod so thanks. The mod looks gooood. Round 2 here we go! :)

I stopped playing the game for about 2 years and i restarted again with Enemy within on the xbox with the kids and frankly, it is like a new experience, i got hooked up again. I ended up getting Xbox 2 for the PC as well. I think Firaxis have nailed the turn based strategy genre on the button.

Each mission also takes quite a bit of time once you have 6 members on the squad, i noticed every time i log in, do one mission and log out it is 1 hour+ or there about, i prefer to keep my game sessions 30-40 minutes if possible. This also could be due to my computer though, i think it needs an upgrade :nerd:

Each mission also takes quite a bit of time once you have 6 members on the squad, i noticed every time i log in, do one mission and log out it is 1 hour+ or there about, i prefer to keep my game sessions 30-40 minutes if possible. This also could be due to my computer though, i think it needs an upgrade :nerd:

I think your computer is a potato!

You are probably right, i plan to upgrade after new year, been thinking of doing that for a while. I plan to get myself 16 ram and 1050 GTX graphics card, that should get me by for a few more years, my processor is a quad i5 3.4 mhz and the rest of my computer works fine.

I do not really play very demanding games in general besides this one, Fallout 4 (which i cannot play and is the main reason why i wanted to upgrade in the first place) and maybe a bit of the new CIV (which is ultra slow).

I actually went back and finally finished XCom: Enemy Within a few weeks ago. I've had it for years but could never keep a good crew around to finish it. Civ IV was one of my all-time faves

Looking to buy Civ 5 and Xcom 2 in the new year. Anyone play either of these games a lot yet? Worth buying if they end up on the Steam Winter sale?

I actually went back and finally finished XCom: Enemy Within a few weeks ago. I've had it for years but could never keep a good crew around to finish it. Civ IV was one of my all-time faves

Looking to buy Civ 5 and Xcom 2 in the new year. Anyone play either of these games a lot yet? Worth buying if they end up on the Steam Winter sale?

CIV 5 is one of those games you shouldn't play if you haven't got much discipline because you end up not looking at a clock for a while and you've been playing for 5 hours and you still haven't hit the modern era. You can pick it up for a very good price in the winter sale and I would 10/10 recommend it, CIV 6 is out too but I'm waiting for that to drop in price before I play it.

I recently bought both games and they are fantastic. Maybe i am bias though. I would say that Xcom 2 is more of an update on the previous version, the actual tactical war screen and strategy is pretty much the same, just new weapons, suits and a bit more options on how to build up the soldiers. The HQ is essentially the same as well. The difference is the world screen, you have a bit more variety of what to do and it is a little less repetitive. If you liked the last one, this is basically the same thing just slightly improved.

CIV 6 (i assume you mean the 6th version, the 5th came out a while ago) is also very similar to the previous version, but here there is a significant improvement in graphics, Nukes work differently now, there is also a bit more variety in the wonders and the "feel" to the game is much much smoother. There is a lot more variety in how you can run your nation as you can pick cards (they are called something else, forgot what though) which differ from each nation. Obviously the previous version came out ages ago, so it was expected this would be a significant upgrade.

Basically both games are upgrades, the concepts are essentially the same, just the newer versions are way more polished.

I recently bought both games and they are fantastic. Maybe i am bias though. I would say that Xcom 2 is more of an update on the previous version, the actual tactical war screen and strategy is pretty much the same, just new weapons, suits and a bit more options on how to build up the soldiers. The HQ is essentially the same as well. The difference is the world screen, you have a bit more variety of what to do and it is a little less repetitive. If you liked the last one, this is basically the same thing just slightly improved.

CIV 6 (i assume you mean the 6th version, the 5th came out a while ago) is also very similar to the previous version, but here there is a significant improvement in graphics, Nukes work differently now, there is also a bit more variety in the wonders and the "feel" to the game is much much smoother. There is a lot more variety in how you can run your nation as you can pick cards (they are called something else, forgot what though) which differ from each nation. Obviously the previous version came out ages ago, so it was expected this would be a significant upgrade.

Basically both games are upgrades, the concepts are essentially the same, just the newer versions are way more polished.

Yeah, I did mean Civ 6.

That's awesome to hear. I had read some bad reviews for Xcom 2, but I think those were early reviews and were mostly about how it ran on certain systems. Just saw X2 was on sale on Steam so I think I'll pick it up this weekend.

I put a few hundred hours into Civ 5 so I'm ready to get back into that soon.

Did you ever play Beyond Earth?

With Xcom i read some of those reviews as well, i think that they could of done a better job in certain things such as the way you can fire through a hill and still hit the target, they still need to iron that stuff out, but for me i do not care about those things, graphics repeat anyway, the gameplay and presentation is what matters.

yeah, i played beyond earth, i still think CIV 5 was a better, more polished game, you can "feel" some of Beyond earth's influence in the design of this game. The colors and movement are 2 things which you can see they took from there.

Holding pattern you mean game speed lagging? Because with my potato computer i get that a lot late game, i would say it is maybe a bit slower than the previous version.

A holding pattern is what an aircraft does when it's doing ovals over the airport awaiting landing clearance.

With Civ V once you hit the era of technology roughly associated with the present time, the game always feels like it's over a good 100 turns before the winner actually wins.

A holding pattern is what an aircraft does when it's doing ovals over the airport awaiting landing clearance.

With Civ V once you hit the era of technology roughly associated with the present time, the game always feels like it's over a good 100 turns before the winner actually wins.

Do you play with the same strategy everytime? I find the game pretty different depending if it's a military, tech, diplomatic or score victory

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up that XCOM 2 is $12 right now as part of the Humble Monthly bundle. If you are a first time subscriber like I was then you get an additional 10% off so it comes out to only $10.80! This was an insta-buy for me, its an amazing deal for a great game! You can cancel your subscription immediately after getting the game.

They also announced there will be a Long War 2 mod coming out soon.

• Upvote 1

Just a heads up that XCOM 2 is $12 right now as part of the Humble Monthly bundle. If you are a first time subscriber like I was then you get an additional 10% off so it comes out to only $10.80! This was an insta-buy for me, its an amazing deal for a great game! You can cancel your subscription immediately after getting the game.

They also announced there will be a Long War 2 mod coming out soon.

Holy shit.