Mayweather vs Pacquiao ?

bjornmma1

I had it 116 - 114 to Floyd

I had Floyd up 3-2 through the first 6 and Floyd up 3-2 through the second 6.

there were a few close rounds which i just scored 10-10's. I am going to have words with Jim Watt though, the commentary made it out to be a one sided ass whooping. The last i checked you win boxing matches by landing punches, not avoiding them. Floyd put on a masterclass in defensive boxing, he landed when he had to, put a few shots with a fair bit of pop into them to seal up the rounds he won. Manny doesn't box smart enough to beat Floyd and that is quite sadly a fact. Hopefully there will be no rematch and finally Amir Khan will get to fight Floyd to see if i am correct.

This is the best comment so far.

This is the best comment so far.

I wish there was something that had the punch stats based on round by round because I didn't even have this fight close & I think the statistics would back that up. I know the first round Manny was like 6 out of 35 or something and Floyd was 11 out of 32 maybe? It seemed like in ALMOST every round they were pretty similar total punches thrown and Floyd was out-landing him & usually at a much better %. He was also landing the cleaner shots IMO.

The few rounds that I even gave to Pac-man were the ones when Floyd would just cover up on the ropes and let Manny tee off instead of use his check left hook and circle out. But I thought this fight seemed pretty lopsided.

well.. saw floyd´s usual fight and pacman usual fight

pacman punches a lot of wind but push the pace

floyd´s defense is brilliant and the foot position gave him a nice chance to make pacquiao miss the target and helps the counter by floyd

i really believe that the "picking" rights and jabs by floyd was the determinat for the W

Went exactly as I predicted. Floyd would give a round, let Manny wear out, and then take a round, til the 6th, and then win every round from there on out.

Floyd was nervous entering the ring. He was very nervous. He didn't need to be, and he settled down, got his timing, and dominated. This fight should of happened 5 years ago. It'd be like watching Fedor vs Cro Cop 2. Still amazing fight for MMA, but not what it would of been 5-7 years ago.

Floyd's boxing is damn near flawless. Boxing isn't a slug it out sport. It can turn into that, just like MMA, and the reason Floyd has had such a long, successful, and intelligent career is because he isn't letting his brain get turned into vegetable soup.

• Upvote 2

I wish there was something that had the punch stats based on round by round because I didn't even have this fight close & I think the statistics would back that up. I know the first round Manny was like 6 out of 35 or something and Floyd was 11 out of 32 maybe? It seemed like in ALMOST every round they were pretty similar total punches thrown and Floyd was out-landing him & usually at a much better %. He was also landing the cleaner shots IMO.

The few rounds that I even gave to Pac-man were the ones when Floyd would just cover up on the ropes and let Manny tee off instead of use his check left hook and circle out. But I thought this fight seemed pretty lopsided.

the fight wasn't close.. at best Mayweather 7-5 but realistically 8 rounds to 4. Manny got out-classed, that's the reality of it.

• Upvote 1

£25 where Dinooo is from will get you 10 pints a kebab and a bj so are his mates going bother with ppv again?

Know what I would do.

Two bottles of buckfast, a kebab and intercourse with at least three women, then again it is Glasgow even you would get your dick wet up here.

If you are gonna stereotype man keep the facts straight man.

I don't go only by punches landed, i mean a jab counts just the same as a power punch, you also need to factor in the ring control. Floyd clearly didn't want to be up against the ropes, so anytime Manny put him there for periods at a time i figured Floyd was letting him blow off some steam, gathering his breath back and whopping him the next round (round 4 and 5) is one of those cases.

Floyd boxed it from a tactical perspective perfectly, anytime it looked like Manny was building up some steam, Floyd would come out, control the ring and not only counter but be the aggressor to keep his position in the ring. Floyd was clearly the winner, i don't have any doubt about it, the rounds he won were imo no doubters, a few of Mannys rounds i gave him could have went down as a draw, but i re-watched it without the awful commentary and i'd keep my scorecard the same way. I just think that some rounds Floyd never put a stamp on and it cost him, Manny would come out stronger at the end of closer rounds.

Chris i had Pacman winning 4 rounds, Floyd winning 6 and 2 rounds being 10-10 rounds, if i was to score those 10-10 rounds however to a fighter i'd have given them to Floyd but imo he never done enough to put a stamp on those rounds.

• Upvote 2

also if Manny had a shoulder injury why did he wait to say until after the fight? why not during the pre fight interview? every fight on the prelims was where the value was, main event was disappointing.

Im shocked by the amount of people thinking Mayweather was supposed to suddenly have a tyson fight and stand in front of pacquaio and slug. Thats like expecting Damian Maia to not shoot for takedowns against Robbie Lawler. However i was shocked he had his hands so low at times and still managed to counter. If you have someone on the ropes youve got to land more than one glancing punch.

Cat like reaction time and great defense,as a student of boxing,this fight wasnt boring to me... then again i was a winky wright fan

• Upvote 1

Im shocked by the amount of people thinking Mayweather was supposed to suddenly have a tyson fight and stand in front of pacquaio and slug. Thats like expecting Damian Maia to not shoot for takedowns against Robbie Lawler. However i was shocked he had his hands so low at times and still managed to counter. If you have someone on the ropes youve got to land more than one glancing punch.

Cat like reaction time and great defense,as a student of boxing,this fight wasnt boring to me... then again i was a winky wright fan

Yeah I dunno why people expected that. I am going to guess that what most people were HOPING was going to happen was that Manny's aggression and punch out-put would force Floyd to get into more exchanges than he typically does but Manny didn't have the same aggression or punch out-put that he usually does. He fought at Floyd's pace almost the whole fight & he had no chance at winning that kind of fight. I guess when you're only landing on 19% of your strikes though it makes you hesitate and not throw as many punches as when you're landing 35-40% of your shots

Manny said he got less aggressive after he took a shot to the solar plexus,Floyd has landed key punches on everyone that slow them & their aggression down. Just because you dont get KOd doesnt mean that it isnt enough power to make you say "i dont like how that feels"

If you see his highlights against Canelo, you can see Floyd's punches turn Alvarez's entire head around like some shit from Fight Night on playstation 2. Im not convinced that EVERYONE he fights doesnt have cardio to last 12 solid rounds

You couldn't expect indeed that Floyd would all of a sudden go after the KO and hunt Manny down. He breaks people down slowly and he is a master in it. In my opinion, he is the most skilled boxer ever. I know some people will not like that statement, but I hope that most of you see as well that his skillset is beyond elite.

Obviously I'm going off memory here but I seem to remember the Shane Mosely fight and at least a few more being razor close. Mayweather also actively avoided tough competition his entire career. He's obviously elite but all this GOAT crap is way too hyperbolic imo.

• Upvote 3

This fight reminded me why i have not watched a boxing match for a few years now, Mayweather is the epitome of boring boxing as for his career, he has been hand picking the fights pretty much all the time, facing up against fighters exiting their prime,

Obviously I'm going off memory here but I seem to remember the Shane Mosely fight and at least a few more being razor close. Mayweather also actively avoided tough competition his entire career. He's obviously elite but all this GOAT crap is way too hyperbolic imo.

who has he not had a fight against that is a top level boxer in his division?

( and that he is not scheduled to face next)

who has he not had a fight against that is a top level boxer in his division?

( and that he is not scheduled to face next)

I never said he didn't fight the top boxers in his division eventually (ignoring the guys he avoided for years like Mosley and Pacman). I never even said he wasn't the best active boxer in the world right now. All I said was that talking about him like a top 10 GOAT and calling him the "most skilled boxer EVER" is hyperbolic as fuck.

Why don't you tell us exactly why you think he's the most skilled boxer ever and who else you rank up there?

I never said he didn't fight the top boxers in his division eventually (ignoring the guys he avoided for years like Mosley and Pacman). I never even said he wasn't the best active boxer in the world right now. All I said was that talking about him like a top 10 GOAT and calling him the "most skilled boxer EVER" is hyperbolic as fuck.

Why don't you tell us exactly why you think he's the most skilled boxer ever and who else you rank up there?

He is the most complete boxer in the history and the highest skilled one . His brilliant defense , footwork, balance, offence and an unbelievable capability to adapt during a fight. He used to be an attacking boxer actually and used many different combos to attack and finish his opponents. Look at how brilliantly he uses his jab. It's near perfection. This is one of his often used ones and unlike the gif, he mostly sets it up with a straight left.

http://ioneglobalgrind.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/pull-counter.gif?w=660

If he has an opponent who is as fast as him, he still wins because of his amazing skills.He throws his punches so fast and smooth and is out of range before his opponent can react. He also tricks his opponents into making certain attacks and then counters them and makes them pay for it.

He might be having slighly less handspeed than Khan as an example, but he is way more accurate. HIs timing is brilliant .

Just a question, but who do you believe is higher skilled and more complete than him?

I think you're overrating Mayweather's offensive ability. He isn't very good going forward. He's also not much of a combination puncher. Sure, he was an offensive juggernaut for his first 15 or so fights, but his competition wasn't very good. He hasn't really been a good offensive boxer against any top level guys. His footwork used to be phenomenal, his defense is phenomenal and his counter punches are as smooth as any and he's game as fuck, but as a leading fighter I think he's very weak. He can outpoint guys who're scared of his counters, and even mess people up who try to trade with him, but painting him as some kind of offensive powerhouse is just wrong.

As for most complete, I think Sugar Ray Leonard has that title. He was good at everything.

He is the most complete boxer in the history and the highest skilled one . His brilliant defense , footwork, balance, offence and an unbelievable capability to adapt during a fight. He used to be an attacking boxer actually and used many different combos to attack and finish his opponents. Look at how brilliantly he uses his jab. It's near perfection. This is one of his often used ones and unlike the gif, he mostly sets it up with a straight left.

If he has an opponent who is as fast as him, he still wins because of his amazing skills.He throws his punches so fast and smooth and is out of range before his opponent can react. He also tricks his opponents into making certain attacks and then counters them and makes them pay for it.

He might be having slighly less handspeed than Khan as an example, but he is way more accurate. HIs timing is brilliant .

Just a question, but who do you believe is higher skilled and more complete than him?

Floyd is hardly a complete boxer, his offensive skill set has a lot to be desired, when he has to go out and be aggressive he looks very uncomfortable. That was the first fight iirc that he looks comfortable fighting on the front foot in recent times. That could be down to a combo of the fact that Pacman is smaller and had to lunge in to get his shots off, so it would be easier to circle away. Also just to point out, early in boxers careers they all tend to be aggressive, because most of the fights are against jobbers, or fighters hand picked. If you want to watch an offensive master at work, i'd look at RJJ personally and then say is Floyd really that complete? Could Floyd do that? Joe Calzaghe has always been seriously underrated as a boxer, his skill set was one of the more complete skill sets i have seen. Defensively he was sound, he could counter really well and was also very effective at using his jab to open up combinations, popping off 8-9 shots at a time before dipping out. Those combo's are round sealers, and it is something that Floyd doesn't have in his arsenal because it doesn't bode well for his counter strategy and make them miss. Mayweather doesn't like eating a shot to land a few, and it shows.

Everyone always swoons over the 0 on a fighters record, the problem is when you go against tough opponent after tough opponent then eventually you will lose. Floyd has fought tough opponents, no doubt but as far as ranking competition fought, you can't exactly compare his competition because it frankly hasn't been there. This has been one of the worst periods of boxing, the boom in the 90's quickly followed by a flat line by the late 00's and now a days you can point to really Floyd or Pacman in the American market, but other than that, no one makes big bucks.