Robbie Lawler vs Ben Askren.

lotos

I think this is a big mistake matching up Ben Askren with Robbie Lawler. Lawler takes large parts of you which you never get back. He's not my favourite style, but when you fight Robbie, you are never the same again. To give Ben's first fight in UFC to this guy is risky business.

The main concern is that on paper, when you analyse (takedown) wrestlers vs strikers, wrestlers are favourites for plausible reasons. You just have to look at the results from the last UFC where every wrestler won their fight against strikers (if I remember correctly), to see that (one-dimensional) sprawl and brawl guys get destroyed by (one-dimensional) elite wrestlers.

The odds aren't right in the bookies. My money is on Robbie, the (3.25) underdog. A win by KO will add more to that, but you don't get those odds on general sports sites till closer to the fight. If Lawler wins, it's by KO. So, I'm expecting odds closer to 4-1 or 5-1 closer to the fight which is on March 3rd at UFC 235.

• Upvote 2

Totally! Warrior through and through.

An exciting fight to be in Robbie's corner, especially now I will have some decent money (where my mouth is) on it. Robbie's biggest fights have been against my favs of all time, so I have always rooted for his opponents. I have never rarely fancied brawlers, although Robbie is a different caliber. His fights are always a battle of will on top of.....technique.

On a more in depth technical note, if Robbie doesn't set up his big punches somehow, he could fall right into Askren's trap/guard. Askren will need to get him down and drain Lawler's tank in the first round I reckon...personally I think the fight literally hinges on the condition of the fighters after the 1st round....

Askren never gets hit, so the question is, has he been hit by a guy with Lawler's power and relentlessness?

Prediction: Robbie Lawler by KO in the 2nd round.