Tycoon World Grappling Championships (Discussion Thread)

MMATycoon

Warlord, it'll be much more of a community event if we don't do it in an org. I want to do as many things as possible to keep people chatting on the forums etc. 3 months is only an arbitrary number - if there is demand for it more often we can do it more often.... though that would make it less "eventy".

• Upvote 1

Warlord, it'll be much more of a community event if we don't do it in an org. I want to do as many things as possible to keep people chatting on the forums etc. 3 months is only an arbitrary number - if there is demand for it more often we can do it more often.... though that would make it less "eventy".

100% agree, community event and every 3 months is perfect! It's going to be a blast! How long do we have to wait before the first event??? :D :D :D

Ok now i understand :)

EDIT: Also, what stats will be shown in the fight stats? I can start on that too if you can lay those out.

Here's another option with the gi idea. I'll remove the gi logos (and center it, just noticed that) and the little grapplers at the bottom can always be removed too.

http://i.imgur.com/fBbzJSm.jpg

• Upvote 3

EDIT: Also, what stats will be shown in the fight stats? I can start on that too if you can lay those out.

Here's another option with the gi idea. I'll remove the gi logos (and center it, just noticed that) and the little grapplers at the bottom can always be removed too.

http://i.imgur.com/fBbzJSm.jpg

This one all day. No offense Ezekial, but this one's definitely the best so far.

Excited about this, I like Kelly's TOTT, looks cool.

Just wondered about the time frame of these as you said ideally fighters wouldn't be able to fight in normal fights while the tournament goes on (Which makes sense)

Is it likely to be long tournaments with weeks between fights so that by the time one tournament has ended another one is soon beginning? That could put off some people who want to test our their active MMA guys, if tournaments are completed with in a couple of weeks then it's no big deal at all..

Also would they have to be 'Free Agents' to sign up for the tournaments or could they still be contracted to an organisation and simply take a break?

As for the skill caps/belt classes etc I agree with no cap. I liked the idea of having a cap on secondaries etc included as well but as someone else said it's meant to be figuring out the best grappler per belt so if it turns out that a high level blue belt with elite secondaries walks all over other guys then perhaps it would just suggest that the BJJ primary doesn't hold enough weight in the grappling moves.

As for weight classes, someone else said 3 and I think that's enough to start with, some kind of weight limit for Lightweight, Middleweight and Heavyweight. Perhaps

0-170 (66kg and 77kg real life weight classes)

171-194 (88kg classes)

195+(99kg and 99kg+ classes)#

I also think it's a good idea to have no weight cutting and have people enter at their walk in weight.

One other question for you actually....

- We can do categories by belt but that doesn't stop someone having beast secondaries and physicals and entering the blue belt category. How would you guys deal with that? A cap on secondaries and physicals to enter that category too?

I would suggest not using the current belt categories, but making new grappling belt categories, which would be based on wrestling and BJJ primaries, plus all wrestling and BJJ secondaries. So while you might be a blue belt for MMA purposes, you might be a white belt or a purple belt for TWGC purposes. I wouldn't include physicals in this though. Divisions should be based on how skilled you are, not how fit you are.

As for weight classes, there is no need for both a HW/SHW and an openweight. There is nothing preventing a smaller guy from entering the HW/SHW division, so it is essentially already openweight.

I would suggest:

145 lbs and under division

170 lbs and under division

205 lbs and under division

206 lbs and over division

That would be a great addition to this game. But one thing that I feel like could be changed (and we already have that with KT fighters) is changing those kind of fights to it's own record. It would be nice to see a fighter with a 18-4 mma record, then you click to change to his KT record and there it is a 23-5 KT and then a 10-0 Grappling record. I feel like sometimes merging those kinds of fights makes no sense. You see a guy with a 14-7 mma record and when you look, his actual record is 9-7 and his KT is 5-0... Anyway, that's something that if it wasn't too much of a deal to make, would be better stylistically speaking. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this kind of tournament :)

I would suggest not using the current belt categories, but making new grappling belt categories, which would be based on wrestling and BJJ primaries, plus all wrestling and BJJ secondaries. So while you might be a blue belt for MMA purposes, you might be a white belt or a purple belt for TWGC purposes. I wouldn't include physicals in this though. Divisions should be based on how skilled you are, not how fit you are.

As for weight classes, there is no need for both a HW/SHW and an openweight. There is nothing preventing a smaller guy from entering the HW/SHW division, so it is essentially already openweight.

I would suggest:

I like the idea of a separate grouping structure actually... Not sure what we'd call it though.

Ground strikes would be disabled, yes.

This won't be in the fighters' records. I don't think we can separate KT and MMA though, as much as anything because it would make the fighter profile page look really messy.

I like the idea of a separate grouping structure actually... Not sure what we'd call it though.

You could simply call it TWGC Grappling and make the fighter profile say something like this:

Jaemin has Competent (6) boxing, Superb (10) Muay Thai, Exceptional (13) wrestling, and holds a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and a brown belt in TWGC grappling.

Since we aren't using ADCC scoring rules, we are basically inventing a new grappling sport. May as well issue belt colors for our new sport hehe.

• Downvote 4

I would suggest:

I agree with this. We may not need all weight Divisions. This would offer an interesting variation on size. This may be the way to start, then if there IS a large demand you can bring in the other weightclasses.

as far as ToTT, physicals, strong grappling skill, and then if a hidden applies. I'm hoping the adapt a gameplan hidden, is now going to be the key to this. Most my grapplers have that hidden. It seems to make sense?

I'm not sure how others feel, but I don't see the need for each belt to have it's own tourney. I'd put my brown belts with red belts all day. With a tourney like this, I want to know who the best is - not the best of the browns, for example. Maybe you have a two teir system, where white - purple are together, and then brown through red are together. To your previous point Mike, about how much better a blue belt in over a white belt - who's going to enter a white belt in this tourney? Do people enter Useless Boxing/MT fighters in K1?

• Downvote 1

super excited.

Realism would dictate its on an open matt, but if its cage or ring I'd lean towards ring.

As for belts, I think it should be based purley off belt colour for realism- but maybe to stop a fighter dominating blue belts forever you put a rule in place you finish in the top x of blue/medaling positions then you must move up to purple for the next one. Over time the system will be forcing fighters towards those of equivlant skills without us having to set an arbitrary limit on how good a fighter of a given belt is allowed to be.

I'm not sure how others feel, but I don't see the need for each belt to have it's own tourney. I'd put my brown belts with red belts all day. With a tourney like this, I want to know who the best is - not the best of the browns, for example. Maybe you have a two teir system, where white - purple are together, and then brown through red are together. To your previous point Mike, about how much better a blue belt in over a white belt - who's going to enter a white belt in this tourney? Do people enter Useless Boxing/MT fighters in K1?

Or simply allow the browns to enter the black/red tourney if they so choose. If fighters are given the choice between fighting at their belt level or fighting the best, then everyone should be happy.

I agree with this, I think maybe exceptional and up should be the elite group. Brown belts sub black and red belts quite often in the MMA game, no reason to believe it wouldn't happen in this. I'd back a brown belt with Sensational wrestling to beat a red belt with Strong wrestling.

I like these ideas,

Two tier system:

white-blue-purple

brown-black-red

Four weight divisions:

Nice clean and simple system.

I think this is the best idea.