Weight Cut Option

Scooby

I dont know much about coding, or if this has already been suggested but i was thinking it would be cool to select what weight you want to go into a fight at for further strategic benefits and sacrifices,

For example, In the 265 weight class you might have (these are just examples)

-Fighter A weighs 280lbs and cuts to 264.8

-Fighter B weighs 255lbs and cuts to 238lbs

Where A would come in around 280 and B would be around 255 it would be cool to choose a weight by a slider or fill in box of some sort

Depending on fighter A's strategy, he might want to fight at the cut weight to keep his weight advantage while having more agility and speed than if he was 280

Or

Depending on fighter B's strategy, he might want to fight at his heavier weight to minimize the weight difference, likewise, he could choose to cut to 238 and would now have a Major quickness advantage and strength disadvantage which might be better for him in some circumstances.

I think this would give more of an element of surprise and gameplanning for managers, what do you think?

I dont know much about coding, or if this has already been suggested but i was thinking it would be cool to select what weight you want to go into a fight at for further strategic benefits and sacrifices,

For example, In the 265 weight class you might have (these are just examples)

-Fighter A weighs 280lbs and cuts to 264.8

-Fighter B weighs 255lbs and cuts to 238lbs

Where A would come in around 280 and B would be around 255 it would be cool to choose a weight by a slider or fill in box of some sort

Depending on fighter A's strategy, he might want to fight at the cut weight to keep his weight advantage while having more agility and speed than if he was 280

Or

Depending on fighter B's strategy, he might want to fight at his heavier weight to minimize the weight difference, likewise, he could choose to cut to 238 and would now have a Major quickness advantage and strength disadvantage which might be better for him in some circumstances.

I think this would give more of an element of surprise and gameplanning for managers, what do you think?

Don't quote me on this because I don't really think about it too much, but if you have a 255lbs fighter I'm fairly sure he fights at 255lbs. He doesn't cut 20 pounds for no reason... and the 280lbs guy is only gonna cut to 265, he's not gonna cut all the way to 258 or something like that.

Don't quote me on this because I don't really think about it too much, but if you have a 255lbs fighter I'm fairly sure he fights at 255lbs. He doesn't cut 20 pounds for no reason... and the 280lbs guy is only gonna cut to 265, he's not gonna cut all the way to 258 or something like that.

this

• Upvote 1

With this addition they wouldnt be cutting for "no reason" they would be cutting for strategical gains.... i didnt say a 280 guy who cuts to 265 will now go to 258.... i said fighters will have a CHOICE of what they fight after the cut, whether it be 265-280 ANY weight INSIDE their cut and normal range for strategical reasons

From your answer i dont think you really understood my suggestion

With this addition they wouldnt be cutting for "no reason" they would be cutting for strategical gains.... i didnt say a 280 guy who cuts to 265 will now go to 258.... i said fighters will have a CHOICE of what they fight after the cut, whether it be 265-280 ANY weight INSIDE their cut and normal range for strategical reasons

do they cut for no reason? I honestly never really payed attention to the weights

do they cut for no reason? I honestly never really payed attention to the weights

No, if you are heavier you gas faster and have more KO power/strength and are harder to knockout, if you are lighter you are more agile and fast, therefore being smaller with high striking D and countering you can win a decision easier

fighters don't really cut the weight. Your energy has to be within the limits to make weight. If it's 265 then that's what you need to be able to make but come fight day your fighter has the original weight back on. So when he is fighting he is NOT fighting with 265 pounds if he weighs in at 280. He will be back to 280 when the fight actually happens.

So if you want scoobys version it already exist but it's done differently. You either change your weight before hand using sups or he doesn't change the weight at all. A real person doesn't lose 15 pounds of fat

before the fight it's the fluids in his body so noone choose to stop somewhere inbetween weight because he won't recover from the weight cut. He'd be drained out of energy if he didn't replenish the fluids

But cutting a lot of weight can be devstating. A big fighter will be easier to knockout due to the fact that he'll have less fluids in the brain because of a hard weight cut

http://www.mmatycoon.info/index.php?title=Cutting_weight

Fighting after cutting weight

Your fighter will bulk back up to their original weight come fight time. This will give him the benefits you would expect of being larger (stronger etc), but if he has cut a LOT of weight, he will be drained. He will have less energy come fight time and due to the loss of fluid around his brain during weight cutting, he may also be easier to knock out. In short, it is a delicate balancing act.

I understand your question, your saying what if you wanna come in at 230lbs to be more agile against a big slow guy that cuts down to 265lbs. You can already do this to a degree by taking weight loss/gain supplements between fights. If you have a month to train you could easily put on or lose around 10 pounds. In the lower weight classes I really don't think it makes as big of a difference whether your 170lbs or 158lbs, you catch my drift.

I understand your question, your saying what if you wanna come in at 230lbs to be more agile against a big slow guy that cuts down to 265lbs. You can already do this to a degree by taking weight loss/gain supplements between fights. If you have a month to train you could easily put on or lose around 10 pounds. In the lower weight classes I really don't think it makes as big of a difference whether your 170lbs or 158lbs, you catch my drift.

i understand, but if a guy cuts to 170 and your max is 170 there can be about a 30lb difference if you came in lightest and hes heaviest.... this would be a strategical change, to do this in weight loss/gain supplements you would have to have a fight scheduled for a month to even know what weight you would want to fight at

if yall are against it cool but i thought this would be a fun way to strategize

Cutting weight does not make you faster or more agile.

Because the fighter doesn't enter the cage at the reduced weight.

Weight is cut by dehydrating the body, shedding water and in so doing shedding weight.

After weighing in fighters immediately start consuming large quantities of water and nutrients in order to add the weight back on.

So for example GSP cuts from 190 to 170 and probably enters the cage at 188, give or take.

So while I think that you are right in saying that there could be more layers adding to the aspect of weight cutting, I don't think that your example helps make your case as there would be no advantage to a 255 guy cutting 20lbs; it would only be detrimental.

I also think that whilst more emphasis on the weight cut would be great, I think it would drive some casual players out of the game. Any increase in complexity is going to result in more NC's as part timers fail to engage in the nuance and become frustrated at missing fights

So while I think that you are right in saying that there could be more layers adding to the aspect of weight cutting, I don't think that your example helps make your case as there would be no advantage to a 255 guy cutting 20lbs; it would only be detrimental.

I also think that whilst more emphasis on the weight cut would be great, I think it would drive some casual players out of the game. Any increase in complexity is going to result in more NC's as part timers fail to engage in the nuance and become frustrated at missing fights

this wouldnt be before the weight cut day,as you gave with your example of GSP if he is fighting Generic Tycoon Fighter B who normally weighs 170, then GSP would have the option to come into the fight @ 170 to match it after making weight OR to come in anywhere between 170-190lbs depending on his strategy.

If a 255lb(cut to 235) guy comes in to fight a 280lb guy, this would be detrimental? Wouldnt he be EXTREMELY faster?

this wouldnt be before the weight cut day,as you gave with your example of GSP if he is fighting Generic Tycoon Fighter B who normally weighs 170, then GSP would have the option to come into the fight @ 170 to match it after making weight OR to come in anywhere between 170-190lbs depending on his strategy.

If a 255lb(cut to 235) guy comes in to fight a 280lb guy, this would be detrimental? Wouldnt he be EXTREMELY faster?

No. Weight cutting is really bad for you and not replenishing fluids after a weight cut would probably make you physically incapable of competing at anywhere near your abilities. Honestly, if you cut 20lbs the week before the fight and didn't hydrate yourself after the weigh in, you might not even make it into the cage as you'd be taken off to hospital on a fluid drip.

What you are suggesting does not exist in real life terms. People don't cut weight to be smaller and faster come fight night. You cut weight in order to be bigger and stronger come fight night. If you wanted a speed and cardio advantage, you wouldn't cut any weight at all, al la Frankie Edgar's lightweight reign.