Is Henry Cejudo really retiring?

MMA fighters nowadays seem to retire more times during their careers, than the times that I said that I would quit MMAtycoon...

And we’re all still hoping you’ll quit

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He is only 33y and at his peak. Personally i would like him to continue to see how far up the GOAT of the midgets he can climb. He is probably top 3 already in his weight class, i still think DJ is higher up that list, even though he lost to him, simply due to his continuity.

He is not.

He retired somewhat early from wrestling. Unless they decide to set him up a money fight at 145 vs Alexander I don't see why he would come back to fight for the same pay to fight bigger and stronger opposition at 135. He believed it is High Risk Low Reward and he is getting older and has left the sport without becoming a vegetable. He neat Demetrious Johnson, Marlon Moraes and Dominick Cruz and left on top. Also he stated that he wants to get involved in real estate irl. Nothing left to prove.

• Upvote 1

Meh, he has a lot left to prove. You gotta stay on top not just make it to the top and leave. He barely defended any Title, and the Cruz stoppage was absolute shit. He could have had a few more fights to prove he was truly the best, he has a ton of contenders at 135 and 125 and obviously dodged the Benevidez rematch which he should have wanted to avenge that loss.

He can say what he wants but in 5 years his name will barely be remembered by most.

• Downvote 1

He dodged the Benevidez rematch hard. Gave up his belt in order to not fight him.

Probably a financial move more than anything else. Professional athletes not getting nearly compensated enough. If the company generates enough money for Dana White to own 20+ ferrari's, it makes more than enough money to pay most of the top half of it's employees nearly double.

If MMA paid better I would of given it some serious thought when I was younger. Crafton Wallace was paid like 2500/2500 to fight on UFC Fight Night. That's horse shit, even if it was in 2006. I think he might of made up to 5000/5000. Both fights were short notice, he's a WW and it was at MW vs Martin Kaampan and Nate Marquardt.

He dodged the Benevidez rematch hard. Gave up his belt in order to not fight him.

Ehhh idk, after the fight Henry went on a 6 fight win streak, including winning the title against DJ, and going on to KO Dillashaw, Moraes, and Cruz. Bennevidez stayed at 125 and went 4-2, losing to Sergio Pettis and getting KO'd by Figueiredo.

I get why you're saying but Benevidez not being and big money fight, and losing those 2 fights, its hard to say that Henry really ducked. More like he just didn't care.

IF Benevidez had also been on a 6 fight win streak, was the 125 champ, and even willing to go to 135 for Henry, then id agree hard dodge. But thats not how it happened.

Every fighter these days gets that ufc belt and expects red panty night to magically happen or they suddenly go from the verbally adamant "champ needs to defend vs #1 contenders and stop holding up division" to "hold up, what about a money fight though?".

Khabib not any different. His team did same exact shit.

Not faulting them. When you "win the superbowl" of MMA you expect to be set up for life and that's just not the reality at all for most fighters.

A lot of the weird shit like this going these days is more and more fighters are getting fed up with UFC making money than ONE FC(or maybe not, I dunno how much they make), Bellator and PFL yet they all pay more(a lot more in MANY cases of fighters who were UFC champions) than the UFC does. That tells you a lot right there. That's a simple math equation any fighter can see and think wtf and start looking to get out of their contract... That are more and more fighters are wising up and prepping for the life after fighting earlier and earlier.

It's hard to stay which case are more fighters being smart and which they are using the money angle to suck certain fighters tho.

Look at Usman who wont sign for the Jorge fight because he wants to get paid more. Which seems like he is being smart because he SHOULD get paid more to a huge draw like Masvidal right now where the PPV will set a lot more than any other Usman fight... But it depends on how much he asks for. Masvidal claimed he wanted an absurd amount of money... If that is true he may have gave then a number too high so he could duck Jorge and blame it on pay. Jones just did the same thing.