Football World Cup 2018 Discussions

Mentor

• 2 weeks later...

That was one of the best games I have ever watched. Ronaldo really put his stamp on that as the best player in the world right now.

Neymar has all the skill in the world but is a man-child without the discipline or the toughness the great ones have. The big teams will just push him around.

Portugal lacks depth , even the biggest portuguese fans agree on this.

I'm curious to see how Poland performs.

Was so pissed to see Ricardo Gareca bench Paolo Guerrero during our key match of the tournament. He (Gareca) got us to the cup and he basically eliminated us by not playing out top scorer :( Farfan is a joke and Carrillo needed Guerrero to compliment him up front. Fuck put a youngster instead of Farfan. Put a fucking post so Carrillo can bounce it off but not Farfan who is so overrated.

Can we beat France? I don't think so :(

And the Germans go down in match 1, I knew it. I still think there gonna advance to the knockout round but I don't see them going to far. There just is to much experience and skill missing from this roster. Mexico was no easy task but I just feel the Germans are not running with a great team. Philip Lahm, Bastian shweinstager, Miroslav Klose, lukasz podolski, and Andre Shurrle. Sure Miroslav may be a old at 40 but the others are pretty young.

Lahm and schweinstager are huge shoes to fill IMO. Mexico was a make or break game for me, but I have been wrong before.

Germany lost and some of the other favorites such as Argentina and Brazil under-performed. I would say the Spain vs Portugal game was the biggest plus point so far, but i did not watch most of the games. I think it was one of the best games i have seen Ronaldo have for a Portugal side.

Looks like Egypt are the first team gone. I can’t see anything other than a Uruguay win today which would leave the only unfinished business being the battle for 1st and 2nd. Russia have bagged a good amount of goals which will build their confidence but you would imagine they will struggle against teams that are better than the two they have faced so far.

In the last game they basically bullied Neymar, constantly fouling him, it was not pretty but it most certainly frustrated him.

He was definitely more interested in drawing fouls than anything else too. Plus everyone knows how to deal with him - keep touching him making small fouls and he'll start to dive and roll around the field screaming in pain, get frustrated and abandon any form of team play.

Can't wait for this to start. I just started watching world cup in 2014. I like Germany to get the cup this year again. Bummer no US or Dutch team

I actually started watching football during the 94 USA World Cup when they had Cobi Jones and Alexi Lalas. They have come a long way since then and will probably win it eventually.

I'm waiting for the people who never watch it to post on Facebook about it and are expecting the US team to be in it.

The biggest problem with the US this World Cup was coaching. If you have heard about there coach Jurgen Klinnsman he had some controversial moves, like cutting Landon Donovan before the start of the 2014 world cup. Also under klinnsman the U.S got off to a 0-2 Start for the qualifying of the 2018 world cup. Then there new coach steps in Bruce Arena, which against much weaker competition then there first two games they looked pretty good and started getting back on track. That all came to a end with a loss to Trinidad and Tobago, Arena then resigns leading to there third coach of the Qualifying. Unfortunately the loss to Trinidad eliminated the U. S which I'm sure contributed to Arena resigning.

I didn't watch the match against Trinidad but they had a great squad and simply under Preformened. Tim Howard is aging he is 40 now and injuries are starting to catch up with him and he is there backbone at Goaltender, Brad Guzan would be the next in line to fill his shoes only he has struggled in the US friendly's since the world cup elimination. The rest of the team still has a lot of potential with Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley. And quality defenders I'm DeAndre Yedlin and Demarcus Beasley. They also have some good youngsters in Bobby Wood and Julian Green.

So ultimately they need a new Goaltender to emerge as I don't see Howard who will be 44 for the 2022 world cup playing. And for fuck sake get a coach who can handle the ups and downs of international soccer.

Argentina could be in trouble. Others like France, Spain, Portugal are doing just enough at the moment. The lesser fancied countries must be fancying their chances at some big upsets here. Although, you would think some of the favourites will turn it on at some point. It’s starting to get a bit interesting.

I think this one is going to the tiebreakers, too much riding on two draws....

10bbffcd5c5e58aba586df8987e5d7c8.png

so Argentina must beat Nigeria and either Croatia should beat Iceland or the match should be drawn for Argentina to go through to the next round right ? and Argentina should maintain a goal difference in case Iceland beats Croatia ?

so Argentina must beat Nigeria and either Croatia should beat Iceland or the match should be drawn for Argentina to go through to the next round right ? and Argentina should maintain a goal difference in case Iceland beats Croatia ?

Yeah I think Argentina should really try and break Nigeria early then get themselves as many goals as possible. For Croatia it’s job done so they might take the night off against Iceland and rest the big stars to avoid any complications with injuries etc. That could mean an easier task for Iceland or it could be the opposite with Croatian back up players looking to prove they are worthy of a start an the later stages. First and foremost for Argentina though is to get themselves sorted before worrying about what Iceland are doing because if they can’t beat Nigeria then the other game doesn’t mean a thing to them.

Argentina is seriously risking getting booted out, many had them as one of the 2-3 major favorites, Croatia not only won, they bullied them to that 3-0 win. They are lucky though because they hold their own fate in their hands, a win against Nigeria should be enough, although Iceland could pull off the upset against Croatia and still keep that goal difference.

That’s why I think they need to go out all guns blazing. If Iceland win then it’s probably going to be by 1, maybe 2. Anything can happen though so Argentina should be prepared to try and get as big a win as possible which won’t be easy against a Nigeria team with a bit of confidence. The way Argentina have performed so far may have Nigeria thinking they are there for the taking, they may well be.

Big day today. Especially interested in the Germany-Sweden game, Germany- despite their shoddy performance against Mexico should be able to dominate a decent looking Swedish side. Germany runs a far lesser risk of being vulnerable on the counter-attack against Sweden then they did against Mexico, however that being said- their attack didn't look good either. Despite the fact Sweden is not very lethal on the counter I expect Germany to play a much smarter, more measured game, I hope they'll stop throwing up both fullbacks at a time leaving only two back for this game because they will need to do so against better competition than Sweden. I think Germany will play more measured and probably pick up a clean sheet.

Prediction: 2-0 Germany

Belgium and Mexico should dominate their respective opponents, but I do think Mexico will have more trouble with SK than Belgium will have with Tunisia. To be frank I did not see anything in the England-Tunisia game that shows to me Tunisia could trouble Belgium. Belgium needs to avoid starting slowly like they did against Panama, or this game could very result in Tunisia taking points off them.

Prediction: Belgium: 3-0

I think Mexico will have a tougher time with South Korea than people might think because Mexico will not be able to rely on their lethal counterattacking style as they did against Germany. Many of Mexico's players are more predisposed towards this style, we'll have to see how they can deal with play a more patient, possession-oriented game. I could see SK grabbing an early goal and holding on for dear life. Going out on a limb for this one, I'm predicting Mexico to drop points, however, Mexico could come out and show that they are completely capable of breaking teams down through patient play, however, Mexico is definitely the most lethal playing a counter style.

Prediction: 1-1 Draw

They better keep Musa in check, this guy can put them away if you let him. He has such good ball control and incredible speed. I got a feeling Nigeria pulls the upset. And I am also worried about Germany tomorrow, Sweden could very well put them out.

I was impressed by Musa against Iceland. Took both goals well and never snatched at the chances. I also like the fact that once he was passed the defender for his second he never threw himself to the ground when he felt minimal contact the way some players would. He was more interested in scoring than earning a penalty. Good lad!