Understanding How Fights In MMATycoon Are Made

CardiffWanderer

How are match ups made?

A simple question with no easily definable answer.

So how do I know if I am going to be given a fair match up?

The important thing to understand is the method that the match has been selected under, which will vary between different organisations and is completely different when entering the computer generated match ups of the Quick Fighting Championship.

Before discussing the methods, what is the difference between the Quick Fighting Championship and other organisations?

Quick Fighting Championship is the only computer run organisation. It has two tiers of competition level - tier 1 for brand new fighters who have not increased their skills significantly and tier two which is everyone else who has less than 75 hype and less than 5 victories. The only other consideration is your weight class which is the weight that your fighter can cut to at the time you select the match up (not your maximum weight cut).

All other organisations are run by other players of MMA Tycoon which means that these are run real time by real people. This means the decision on how to decide match ups is up to them so the only way to truly know how they are designing their fights is by asking and understanding the methods.

So what are these methods?

There is no way to be absolutely conclusive as everyone has a slightly different method however these are the main ones used or combined to create matches.

The Primary Matching Approach

This is when an org owner looks through his fighter lists and matches fighters that seemingly have equal levels of primary ability. This can mean fighting someone with a similar skill set to you or fighting someone with the opposite skill set than you however superficially you will be evenly matched.

The advantages of this set up is that you have always got a chance in a fight as you will either be able to potentially get to an opponents weakness or you can use superior slider settings to win a closely matched dual. Many managers prefer this system.

However there are disadvantages as well. Just because two fighters primary skills are equal does not mean that their overall ability is equal as well. A fighter that develops his primary skills through secondary training will have a much higher skill base than a fighter who has just sparred. A manager also needs to take into consideration what physical abilities there own and the other fighter may have. What may seem like an even match up can be deceiving.

Most Often Seen - In orgs in the middle of the Tycoon world who have a mixture of experienced and inexperienced fighters and managers.

Hype Orientated System

This is when an org owner matches fighters up on their current hype so they are fighting someone on the appropriate place on their card.

The advantages to this is that it is often the fastest way to raise a fighter up the ranks and in contention for title shots and big money contracts as hype and popularity makes a fighter important in MMATycoon. It can also be a good way for a manager to get noticed.

This system has some major failing though as it does not take fighter skills into consideration at any point so fights arise where someone who has fought only basic fighters can be put up against a monster. This leads to fights that can be horrible mismatched and lead one person into a situation where they can only lose.

Most Often Seen - In the very top orgs where fights are between the best of the best.

Fighter Record System

This is where the org owner looks at the fighters win and loss records and matches them up accordingly.

This system as very much the same advantages and disadvantages that the hype based system has with the added problem that a fighter who fights infrequently may not even have that great a hype score.

Most Often Seen - In new orgs where the owner is still learning the ropes

Fighter ID System

A system that has become more popular in recent times, this is when an org owner looks to match two fighters up that were created at a similar time, indicated by having similar fighter ID's.

The biggest advantage to this system is the argument that both fighters have had the same amount of time to train and so the skill difference will be at a minimum. There is little chance of a nasty surprise that a fighter has magically powerful physicals or amazing secondaries. It can often lead to consistently fair fights.

Fights designed in this way are not flawless. The age the fighter was created at can create big problems for this system as a brand new 25 year old will be far more skilled than a brand new 18 year old. At the same time, someone who created an 18 year old 6 months ago is likely to have more skills than a 25 year old with the gap ever increasing as the two progress.

Also, the amount of fights a person has effects how well there training goes, especially if a fighter has a lot of hard fought decisions which means they lose a lot of training time while the fighter rests up. These factors can still create mismatches.

Most Often Seen - In orgs with divisions or the entire org with age limits or those orgs actively attempting to create their own stars rather than bringing them in on free agency.

Age ID System

This is when a two fighters ages are matched together to create a fight.

For org owners early in their development this system can work surprisingly well as they often bring in fighters who are new. Fighters of fairly similar age tend to have fairly similar skills so fights can be close.

However this does have major problems as the org progresses as fighters created at different ages are unlikely to be even at the same age as the game develops as training ability and learning speed kicks in. It can also create unintentional mismatches if an org owner lucks upon an older fighter and does not realize the potential problems this could incur.

Most Often Seen - In brand new orgs.

Do org owners stick rigidly to one system?

No, most use a combination of these systems and their own common sense to create the best possible match ups. This game is supposed to be fun for them and you and one side not being happy tarnishes this.

However understanding how matches are made, most org owners have one base that they start with when creating matches, will help you understand decisions that have been made and to ask the right questions if you want clarification or changes in a match up.

The org my fighter is in seems only to have fighters in that are completely inappropriate for my fighter to face. There skill levels are much higher than mine but my hype is good so when the big contract offer came along I snapped it up and now I can't win, what do I do?

This is a common problem but one that first you have to realize is yours as much as the org owners fault. It is true that the org owner should have looked at the appropriateness of having your fighter in their org but they have 100's of fighters to consider all at once, you on the other hand are unlikely to be coping with more than 3 or 4 contracts at a time. As a manager you need to look past the upfront money and look at the future for your fighter.

If that problem has already occurred, the best thing is to talk to the org owner and try to come to a solution. There is no right or wrong way to do this but it has to be fair to both sides. The org owner may say to go and train for a while and come back when your ready to fight or if you want to leave the org often the repayment of the signing fee is appropriate. However it is handled remember that an amicable solution is always best as you may want to work with this person in the future.

I have the title belt and the org owner has brought in someone much better than my fighter to challenge for it, what can I do?

There is little that you can do as the champion it is your duty now to defend it against the number one contender. Everyone is shooting for you so you should expect to fight really tough opposition.

Saying that, you do not have to go in defenseless. You have every right to request some training time, anything up to a month would not be unreasonable and in some extreme cases it hasn't been unknown for an org owner to compensate the fighter for having such a hard fight.

Refusing the fight altogether though is unacceptable. You should not have taken the title shot if you were unprepared to defend the belt.

On the flip side to this, the org owner has offered me a fight against the monster champion - Should I do it?

If you want to be the champion the only way to be the champ is to beat the champ. However if you do not think you can do it then you should turn the shot down and explain why, the org owner is likely to understand. Another option to ask for a little more training time before taking the shot which is often something org owners will allow although someone may get there shot before you and inactivity will reduce your hype which got you the shot in the first place.

• Upvote 6

Great Post Cardiff. Thanks.

At Theatre of Dragons (Rio) we use the hype method but obviously try to find the best ID/Age/P4P matches whenever possible. The main drawback is that new fighters joining the org tend to have hype too low or too high for the competition, but I have found that after one or two fights they soon move up or down the org ranks to sit among fighters who make a good match. This is sometimes difficult because managers new to the org don't always understand - And, as you say, sometimes near impossible fights are unavoidable. Once a fighter has had a few fights and settled in the org the hype system starts to suggest 3 or 4 opponents I can choose from, and its amazing how well the fights match up then.

• 3 weeks later...

Cardiffwanderer and Superman once fought each other on a bet. The loser had to start wearing his underwear on the outside of his trousers.

Cardiffwanderer has no reflection in the mirror, there is only One cardiffwanderer.