PSUMike's Intermediate Fighter Guide

PSUMike

By request, I am expanding on my noob guide. This is a guide on what to do after your fighter has been training and fighting for a bit. My goal is to make this a little less informative and more to give you options on what to do with a fighter who is strong in his main style and when you are looking to branch out and diversify his attack.

As a general rule of thumb, I will use guidelines that I’d suggest you achieve before working on other things. I think these numbers I give should be a bare minimum before moving forward with the build. So don’t be afraid to advance beyond my suggestions before diversifying either.

Since physicals can be looked upon with a broader view than other stats, I use a “wonderful/strong/respectable” rule to have an idea of when they are adequate in their physical stats. What I mean by that is your fighter should be wonderful (or higher) in conditioning and strength, strong (or higher) in the physicals directly effecting their main styles, and respectable (or higher in the less important physicals for their build before branching out. The same can be said for clinchwork so I will cover that here as well. I think a fighter should be able to get by with strong clinchwork or higher. Get that up to par before moving forward.

Now for the styles:

Chuck Liddell

When he’s “good enough:”

Mains - A Liddell should have at least remarkable to wonderful boxing and strong or better wrestling. A purple belt is suggested.

Seconardies– Wonderful punches and strike d. Remarkable (or better) TDD and d grap.

My suggestion:

I think the best option for a Liddell is to work his MT and give him a strong kicking attack. This build should already have high enough agility that adding kicks to his arsenal will only strengthen his stand up game. Kicks need a degree of flexibility but if you don’t have enough, leg kicks will still be effective.

Other options:

Work his sub game. I don’t think this is your best option because his flexibility will be a little too low to pull this off effectively.

Work TDs and GNP. I don’t this is your best bet because his speed will be a little low and you will be less effective with takedowns.

Cro Cop

Mains – Wonderful MT with strong wrestling. Purple belt is suggested.

Seconardies – You can probably get away with superb to remarkable kicks, wonderful strike d, remarkable TDD/DG.

My suggestion:

Like a Liddell build, this guy should be a stand up monster. So your best bet is to strengthen his stand up by adding boxing and punches.

Other options:

Work his sub game. Not a bad option but it’s not the safest play.

Work TDs and GNP. I don’t this is your best bet because his speed will be a little low and you will be less effective with takedowns.

Jake Rosholt

Mains – Wonderful wrestling with a mid to high level purple belt

Seconardies – Wonderful strike d with remarkable wrestling stats (TDs, TDD, and GNP) and DG. Don’t be afraid to go higher on DG because it will only help your GNP attack.

My suggestion:

Work his stand up game. Mixing strikes in will help set up your takedowns and allow you to work your GNP better. Spamming takedown after takedown will only lead to your fighter getting tired and beat up. Adding strikes will allow you to stagger your takedown attempts more and you will see better results.

Other options:

The only other viable option is adding a submission attack. It’s not a bad option either. But as previously stated, working standing strikes will make his wrestling more effective.

Damien Maia

Mains – Wonderful to exceptional BJJ with strong wrestling.

Seconardies – Exceptional submissions with wonderful takedowns, DG, and strike d. Having some GNP isn’t going to hurt either as it will make getting submissions easier. I’d suggest proficient at a minimum.

My suggestion:

Just like a Rosholt, adding standing strikes will make it easier to get the takedown and work your magic on the mat.

Other options:

???

BJ Penn

Mains – You will likely want to get a Penn build up to remarkable boxing and BJJ. This way, he can bang it out standing and submit people if he gets taken down.

Seconardies – Wonderful punches, strike d, and submissions. Remarkable minimum DG.

My suggestion:

I think this one is simple. Work wrestling, both offensive and defensive. This way, you can more easily dictate where the fight takes place. GNP won’t hurt either.

Other options:

Add MT? I guess you could. But wrestling is more economical for the build.

Matt Hughes

Mains – Strong or better wrestling with either a brown belt or damn close to one.

Seconardies – Remarkable TDs, subs, and DG. Wonderful strike d. If you gave your Hughes GNP as opposed to subs, you will want that around remarkable but having both will only help. Have one to remarkable or better and the other close behind.

My suggestion:

Only one real option. Work strikes from standing. I would say boxing would be easier because it is less involved. Same as in the case of a Maia or a Rosholt, adding striking will make it easier to procure your TDs.

Other options:

???

Anderson Silva

Mains – Remarkable MT and a brown belt.

Seconardies – Superb or better kicks, remarkable or better strike d, wonderful subs, remarkable DG.

My suggestion:

Boxing. Work his boxing primary and punches. He will be a monster standing and people will have to try to take him down to win which isn’t the best idea against a brown belt. Don’t be afraid to give him some TDD as well because few will be willing to bang it out.

Other options:

Work his wrestling and TDs. You will be better off working boxing because it will make you more dangerous. Having good MT and no boxing still leaves holes in your stand up.

Josh Koscheck

Mains – It all depends on how you built him initially. If you went for high wrestling and then built boxing, wonderful or higher wrestling and around strong boxing. If you went the other way, the flip flop it. A purple belt won’t hurt.

Seconardies – Wonderful Strike D, TDs, GNP, and DG. At least strong TDD and some high punches. You can get away with superb if you went with high wrestling initially.

My suggestion:

As you can see, this build is complicated and takes a lot of secondaries to be effective. So it will take a long time before he’s ready to diversify his attack. But when he’s ready, add some subs. The high GNP will make it easier to latch on to a limb or a neck.

Other options:

Add MT. Not a bad option but depending on your TDD, you may be better off adding subs. This one can go either way. But I’d prefer subs personally. It’s a matter of personal preference.

Feedback?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks sir.. great follow up..

one question.. what is the best course for non vip guys (the ones that cant afford to put their fighter/s in a gym with 12 elite coaches all by himself).

are we forced to cramp into semi full gyms?

one question.. what is the best course for non vip guys (the ones that cant afford to put their fighter/s in a gym with 12 elite coaches all by himself).

Try to find the best gym available in your fighter's city. A 12 coach gym can survive on about an 80 cap so you can still get good training there.

try to find the gym best suited for what you need to train up --- also dont be afraid of qfc's -- get a few qfc's under your guy it helps when looking for contracts -- better hype for the fighter and shows he can win = better contract and pay ----- i use to do a lot of gym hoping on smaller gyms just because it would suit my need till i could afford to get and maintain in a top gym

This is a very impressive guide to back up his original guide however it is worth saying that these are not guaranteed success stories and there other ways to go with these fighters.

For instance, if i created a Maia I would not stop BJJ before black belt and exceptional submission and sensational defensive grappling. For me, if you have a fighter who is designed to own a fighter on the ground, you have to be significantly better than the majority of the competition and simply a defensive brown belt of high standing is not that unusual anymore.

This is a very impressive guide to back up his original guide however it is worth saying that these are not guaranteed success stories and there other ways to go with these fighters.

For instance, if i created a Maia I would not stop BJJ before black belt and exceptional submission and sensational defensive grappling. For me, if you have a fighter who is designed to own a fighter on the ground, you have to be significantly better than the majority of the competition and simply a defensive brown belt of high standing is not that unusual anymore.

I did say early on in the post that I am just giving these guidelines as a point where you could stop and move on to other things, not where you should stop.

Personally, I don't think a black belt is worth it. It takes too much time and it leaves your fighter with big holes because you are working solely on BJJ. But that's just my personal preference.

I would agree that gym hopping at the early stages of a career is essential for getting the best training. Look for new gyms that have just opened, they can have deals to get people in and give you great training on the cheap and then leave before charges go up.

I did say early on in the post that I am just giving these guidelines as a point where you could stop and move on to other things, not where you should stop.

Personally, I don't think a black belt is worth it. It takes too much time and it leaves your fighter with big holes because you are working solely on BJJ. But that's just my personal preference.

I think its important to consider that it is far easier to go from useless punches and boxing to proficient than it is to go from wonderful to sensational (as long as you are not in a super gym) so it may be more prudent ot train up on attribute to an ideal level first and then look to round people up. This may take an extra 2 months but in the long term it could may just be worth it.

By request, I am expanding on my noob guide. This is a guide on what to do after your fighter has been training and fighting for a bit. My goal is to make this a little less informative and more to give you options on what to do with a fighter who is strong in his main style and when you are looking to branch out and diversify his attack.

As a general rule of thumb, I will use guidelines that I’d suggest you achieve before working on other things. I think these numbers I give should be a bare minimum before moving forward with the build. So don’t be afraid to advance beyond my suggestions before diversifying either.

Since physicals can be looked upon with a broader view than other stats, I use a “wonderful/strong/respectable” rule to have an idea of when they are adequate in their physical stats. What I mean by that is your fighter should be wonderful (or higher) in conditioning and strength, strong (or higher) in the physicals directly effecting their main styles, and respectable (or higher in the less important physicals for their build before branching out. The same can be said for clinchwork so I will cover that here as well. I think a fighter should be able to get by with strong clinchwork or higher. Get that up to par before moving forward.

Now for the styles:

Chuck Liddell

Mains - A Liddell should have at least remarkable to wonderful boxing and strong or better wrestling. A purple belt is suggested.

Seconardies– Wonderful punches and strike d. Remarkable (or better) TDD and d grap.

My suggestion:

I think the best option for a Liddell is to work his MT and give him a strong kicking attack. This build should already have high enough agility that adding kicks to his arsenal will only strengthen his stand up game. Kicks need a degree of flexibility but if you don’t have enough, leg kicks will still be effective.

Other options:

Work his sub game. I don’t think this is your best option because his flexibility will be a little too low to pull this off effectively.

What about expanding his clinch and making him into more of a dirty boxer? Not only would this help him defend against better clinchers, but it would also make it possible to demolish better boxers. Generally agree, though.

Cro Cop

Mains – Wonderful MT with strong wrestling. Purple belt is suggested.

Seconardies – You can probably get away with superb to remarkable kicks, wonderful strike d, remarkable TDD/DG.

My suggestion:

Like a Liddell build, this guy should be a stand up monster. So your best bet is to strengthen his stand up by adding boxing and punches.

Other options:

Work his sub game. Not a bad option but it’s not the safest play.

A Cro Cop should have good boxing, so I'd work on that first while improving his clinch and defensive stats.

Jake Rosholt

Mains – Wonderful wrestling with a mid to high level purple belt

Seconardies – Wonderful strike d with remarkable wrestling stats (TDs, TDD, and GNP) and DG. Don’t be afraid to go higher on DG because it will only help your GNP attack.

My suggestion:

Work his stand up game. Mixing strikes in will help set up your takedowns and allow you to work your GNP better. Spamming takedown after takedown will only lead to your fighter getting tired and beat up. Adding strikes will allow you to stagger your takedown attempts more and you will see better results.

Other options:

The only other viable option is adding a submission attack. It’s not a bad option either. But as previously stated, working standing strikes will make his wrestling more effective.

Strikes so that you can get those takedowns. Agreed. Boxing would be preferable, being easier to raise, and you can generally swarm them more with punches before you go for takedowns in my experience. MT might be worth considering, though. Helps defend against leg kicks, and your own leg kicks can potentially ruin their sprawling. Thoughts about this?

Damien Maia

Mains – Wonderful to exceptional BJJ with strong wrestling.

Seconardies – Exceptional submissions with wonderful takedowns, DG, and strike d. Having some GNP isn’t going to hurt either as it will make getting submissions easier. I’d suggest proficient at a minimum.

My suggestion:

Just like a Rosholt, adding standing strikes will make it easier to get the takedown and work your magic on the mat.

Boxing.

Other options:

???

Work his Muay Thai and get more of an Anderson Silva build. Improve his clinch, and go for clinch takedowns.

BJ Penn

Mains – You will likely want to get a Penn build up to remarkable boxing and BJJ. This way, he can bang it out standing and submit people if he gets taken down.

Seconardies – Wonderful punches, strike d, and submissions. Remarkable minimum DG.

My suggestion:

I think this one is simple. Work wrestling, both offensive and defensive. This way, you can more easily dictate where the fight takes place. GNP won’t hurt either.

Other options:

Add MT? I guess you could. But wrestling is more economical for the build.

Takedown offense, takedown defense and clinch. Not exactly in that order, that would depend on who you're gonna fight. Generally something like that, though.

Matt Hughes

Mains – Strong or better wrestling with either a brown belt or damn close to one.

Seconardies – Remarkable TDs, subs, and DG. Wonderful strike d. If you gave your Hughes GNP as opposed to subs, you will want that around remarkable but having both will only help. Have one to remarkable or better and the other close behind.

My suggestion:

Only one real option. Work strikes from standing. I would say boxing would be easier because it is less involved. Same as in the case of a Maia or a Rosholt, adding striking will make it easier to procure your TDs.

Boxing and clinch.

Other options:

???

Anderson Silva

Mains – Remarkable MT and a brown belt.

Seconardies – Superb or better kicks, remarkable or better strike d, wonderful subs, remarkable DG.

My suggestion:

Boxing. Work his boxing primary and punches. He will be a monster standing and people will have to try to take him down to win which isn’t the best idea against a brown belt. Don’t be afraid to give him some TDD as well because few will be willing to bang it out.

Other options:

Work his wrestling and TDs. You will be better off working boxing because it will make you more dangerous. Having good MT and no boxing still leaves holes in your stand up.

I agree.

Josh Koscheck

Mains – It all depends on how you built him initially. If you went for high wrestling and then built boxing, wonderful or higher wrestling and around strong boxing. If you went the other way, the flip flop it. A purple belt won’t hurt.

Seconardies – Wonderful Strike D, TDs, GNP, and DG. At least strong TDD and some high punches. You can get away with superb if you went with high wrestling initially.

My suggestion:

As you can see, this build is complicated and takes a lot of secondaries to be effective. So it will take a long time before he’s ready to diversify his attack. But when he’s ready, add some subs. The high GNP will make it easier to latch on to a limb or a neck.

Other options:

Add MT. Not a bad option but depending on your TDD, you may be better off adding subs. This one can go either way. But I’d prefer subs personally. It’s a matter of personal preference.

I'd say subs. Makes it easier to abuse your high wrestling, and your boxing would probably do well standing for the time being.

Feedback?

My feedback in red. Good stuff.

I think its important to consider that it is far easier to go from useless punches and boxing to proficient than it is to go from wonderful to sensational (as long as you are not in a super gym) so it may be more prudent ot train up on attribute to an ideal level first and then look to round people up. This may take an extra 2 months but in the long term it could may just be worth it.

Or you could just get like two stats to superb-wonderful by the time you got one sensational. I think rounding them out to a certain degree first is really important. Of course you're gonna have a couple of stats that are superior to the rest, but you still want to be able to defend things from every possible angle. Leaving a giant hole in your game because you tunnel-vision on a black belt just isn't worth it imo. I'd rather have a Wonderful\proficient\remarkable\brown than a proficient\mediocre\respectable\black myself.

Or you could just get like two stats to superb-wonderful by the time you got one sensational. I think rounding them out to a certain degree first is really important. Of course you're gonna have a couple of stats that are superior to the rest, but you still want to be able to defend things from every possible angle. Leaving a giant hole in your game because you tunnel-vision on a black belt just isn't worth it imo. I'd rather have a Wonderful\proficient\remarkable\brown than a proficient\mediocre\respectable\black myself.

I would say it depends on what sort of time line you are working on.

In 12 weeks you will be better rounded up but in 24 weeks you could have a longer term advantage.

I would say it depends on what sort of time line you are working on.

In 12 weeks you will be better rounded up but in 24 weeks you could have a longer term advantage.

You're forgetting that the well-rounded guy would start to specialize by then, and be much better off in the long term. He could branch out to whatever he felt like, instead of being a one-trick pony. Being a big threat in all areas > being a slightly bigger threat in one area.

You're forgetting that the well-rounded guy would start to specialize by then, and be much better off in the long term. He could branch out to whatever he felt like, instead of being a one-trick pony. Being a big threat in all areas > being a slightly bigger threat in one area.

See this is why I added this.

What we are talking about is a game of chance. Do you chance your hand at concentrating on a special element to your game and then look to round up knowing that you have used your fastest learning speed to create one super attribute or do you round up earlier knowing that there is a better chance of you having a complete guy but knowing that the guy who concentrated on one aspect may pass you as he can improve quicker in the lesser attributes as you struggle to get to that truly elite level.

This is not a right or wrong. This is like a game of chance and you need to pick your poison.

See this is why I added this.

What we are talking about is a game of chance. Do you chance your hand at concentrating on a special element to your game and then look to round up knowing that you have used your fastest learning speed to create one super attribute or do you round up earlier knowing that there is a better chance of you having a complete guy but knowing that the guy who concentrated on one aspect may pass you as he can improve quicker in the lesser attributes as you struggle to get to that truly elite level.

This is not a right or wrong. This is like a game of chance and you need to pick your poison.

This is my take on it: you start off with a specialized build, and work on that for a bit. When you start getting around remarkable (with about ten points of deviation either way), you start rounding him out and working on other aspects of the game, at first purely defensive, but then you can start building on that solid, defensive foundation with other offensive stats instead. We need to remember that a black belt (for example) is at best 30 points better than a brown belt, but usually around 15-20 points better. This is not an incredible difference, and vastly improving your other primaries (and secondaries, too), might prove more worthwhile than just focusing on this small difference. Min\maxing your main skills come later, when you start needing things that make you stick out. I personally think this is a much better approach to it all, seeing as the guide stated that "you've done a couple of fights" and based yourself off of one of the builds. If you make a Wonderful\abysmal project, you're of course able to take whichever path you choose to to a much larger degree, but it won't allow you to fight until you're at least decently rounded. Having just one strong point will also make you much easier to counter.

This is my take on it: you start off with a specialized build, and work on that for a bit. When you start getting around remarkable (with about ten points of deviation either way), you start rounding him out and working on other aspects of the game, at first purely defensive, but then you can start building on that solid, defensive foundation with other offensive stats instead. We need to remember that a black belt (for example) is at best 30 points better than a brown belt, but usually around 15-20 points better. This is not an incredible difference, and vastly improving your other primaries (and secondaries, too), might prove more worthwhile than just focusing on this small difference. Min\maxing your main skills come later, when you start needing things that make you stick out. I personally think this is a much better approach to it all, seeing as the guide stated that "you've done a couple of fights" and based yourself off of one of the builds. If you make a Wonderful\abysmal project, you're of course able to take whichever path you choose to to a much larger degree, but it won't allow you to fight until you're at least decently rounded. Having just one strong point will also make you much easier to counter.

Lets break this down simply as this problem is about scale.

This way will be more effective in the intermediate term and is the safer bet however what if we look at the game not as building a fighter to be affective at 22 but at 26?

Your fighter that has been working on all aspects and is now at wonderful/wonderful/wonderful/brown but time and difficultly level has meant that your learning has slowed progress a great deal. Potentially, and I am pointing out that there is no guarantee this will happen for all fighters but i am certain will happen with some, who have worked their early years in making one or two aspects truly elite but have not had the success of the better rounded fighter suddenly is not as effected by the slower learning speed as what he is learning is not as difficult. Suddenly, this fighter is at remarkable/remarkable elite/black and who is going to be the better fighter?

This being an intermediate guide I feel that all the options and a much longer world view (we're talking 2 real years here) need to be considered and dismissing it on a shorter (but essentially correct view in that time frame) should not allow such an option to be dismissed.

Lets break this down simply as this problem is about scale.

This way will be more effective in the intermediate term and is the safer bet however what if we look at the game not as building a fighter to be affective at 22 but at 26?

Your fighter that has been working on all aspects and is now at wonderful/wonderful/wonderful/brown but time and difficultly level has meant that your learning has slowed progress a great deal. Potentially, and I am pointing out that there is no guarantee this will happen for all fighters but i am certain will happen with some, who have worked their early years in making one or two aspects truly elite but have not had the success of the better rounded fighter suddenly is not as effected by the slower learning speed as what he is learning is not as difficult. Suddenly, this fighter is at remarkable/remarkable elite/black and who is going to be the better fighter?

This being an intermediate guide I feel that all the options and a much longer world view (we're talking 2 real years here) need to be considered and dismissing it on a shorter (but essentially correct view in that time frame) should not allow such an option to be dismissed.

Okay.

And in what way would a guy that's wasted his golden year digging up a few points while neglecting the rest of his stats be more effective at 26 than a guy that might have wonderful\exceptional across the board at 23 (if he started at 18, which it seems like you're talking about)?

Your fighter has slowed down considerably while wasting a lot of time sparring submission grappling half a million times, and will use much more time to get his other aspects up to scratch. You've also created a glaring strength in your game that people will focus on countering. Being good at everything, though, you have a massive advantage when it comes to actually fighting different opponents.

You're acting like training your guy up to quad-wonderful is gonna take more time than it is. We have 20-year-olds with 2x wonderful, 1 proficient and a brown already. Most black belts at that age have absolutely pathetic primaries in comparison. Another aspect is that most black belts have neglected their secondary skills because of their extensive sparring, and have to use even more time to get these up to scratch. I'm not saying specializing is a bad idea, but over-specializing might spell your doom.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here, but since this is an intermediate guide, it should cover the intermediate stage of a fighter that's actually fighting. While spamming one skill is acceptable for very young projects, an active fighter will get his ass handed to him if he tunnel-visions. Do you get where I'm coming from?

Your only talking about primaries though.

How do you know that a black belt hasn't got there by building his secondaries up? Its also difficult to know where a guy at 20 who has such immense primaries is at with his secondaries, some will be better than others no doubt. I also don't think getting a black belt is as hard as some make out. I have a black belt with one equal secondary and one one stage under plus superb wrestling with wonderful takedowns at the age of 19. How long will it take me to build up his useless boxing and MT?

Its all about perspective and other options. Sometimes taking a risk can reap big rewards or catastrophic failure.

Your only talking about primaries though.

How do you know that a black belt hasn't got there by building his secondaries up? Its also difficult to know where a guy at 20 who has such immense primaries is at with his secondaries, some will be better than others no doubt. I also don't think getting a black belt is as hard as some make out. I have a black belt with one equal secondary and one one stage under plus superb wrestling with wonderful takedowns at the age of 19. How long will it take me to build up his useless boxing and MT?

Its all about perspective and other options. Sometimes taking a risk can reap big rewards or catastrophic failure.

No, I'm talking about secondaries as well. After all, it's easier to raise your primaries by doing secondaries up to about remarkable, and then it slows down considerably.

That guy is obviously a very fast learner, and could probably have been close to double remarkable, one proficient + brown belt by now, while still having pretty good secondaries all over. How many sessions have you used to reach superb\black and the secondaries in total?

Or you could just play safe and reap the big rewards.

No, I'm talking about secondaries as well. After all, it's easier to raise your primaries by doing secondaries up to about remarkable, and then it slows down considerably.

That guy is obviously a very fast learner, and could probably have been close to double remarkable, one proficient + brown belt by now, while still having pretty good secondaries all over. How many sessions have you used to reach superb\black and the secondaries in total?

Or you could just play safe and reap the big rewards.

I think this is quite interesting as this focused thinking is one way that has proved very successful and I'm not denying this. In fact, it has been proven to work by several people so denying it would be idiotic.

However, you nor I, can predict the future and how things may turn out. There is no way to determine which method will be more effective as we're moving into unknown territory so it may be the safest option to have fighters going both routes to cover all bases.

I think this is quite interesting as this focused thinking is one way that has proved very successful and I'm not denying this. In fact, it has been proven to work by several people so denying it would be idiotic.

However, you nor I, can predict the future and how things may turn out. There is no way to determine which method will be more effective as we're moving into unknown territory so it may be the safest option to have fighters going both routes to cover all bases.

I'm still curious, though, would you mind telling me how many sessions he's used on his grappling?

As we've seen for the last few months, well-rounded guys are starting to top the rankings. A one-trick pony will never last long up there, because he's so easy to counter. I'm not denying that it might work, but I think it's a sub-par way of doing it. Reaching elite in a primary isn't the highway to godmode.

I'm predicting that we'll start to see more Muay Thai\BJJ fighters in the next year. These will be countered by good wrestlers, and so on. It's not certain, but it seems like the trend is shifting towards Muay Thai. Spreading yourself out too thin would of course be silly, which is why you need a solid base before you start rounding yourself out. Focusing too much on this base, though, would make your other skills stagnate. This is dangerous.

I'm still curious, though, would you mind telling me how many sessions he's used on his grappling?

As we've seen for the last few months, well-rounded guys are starting to top the rankings. A one-trick pony will never last long up there, because he's so easy to counter. I'm not denying that it might work, but I think it's a sub-par way of doing it. Reaching elite in a primary isn't the highway to godmode.

I'm predicting that we'll start to see more Muay Thai\BJJ fighters in the next year. These will be countered by good wrestlers, and so on. It's not certain, but it seems like the trend is shifting towards Muay Thai. Spreading yourself out too thin would of course be silly, which is why you need a solid base before you start rounding yourself out. Focusing too much on this base, though, would make your other skills stagnate. This is dangerous.

He was actually a sparring dummy for a gym i once had so did 40+ classes in a gym catering for newbies so I am unaware how that influenced. From when i started doing some serious training with him he went from wonderful + to sensational + in 29 sub grappling and 42 def grappling sessions (and another 20 dummy classes).

I completely agree that being well rounded is key, I believe the difference is what level you start to round rather than talking about elite guys only with nothing else.

I've already seen the progression of wrestlers hurting MT/BJJ guys (as long as they have some decent BJJ. I think the progression of popular and bust build types will accelerate as the game becomes more popular.

He was actually a sparring dummy for a gym i once had so did 40+ classes in a gym catering for newbies so I am unaware how that influenced. From when i started doing some serious training with him he went from wonderful + to sensational + in 29 sub grappling and 42 def grappling sessions (and another 20 dummy classes).

I completely agree that being well rounded is key, I believe the difference is what level you start to round rather than talking about elite guys only with nothing else.

I've already seen the progression of wrestlers hurting MT/BJJ guys (as long as they have some decent BJJ. I think the progression of popular and bust build types will accelerate as the game becomes more popular.

If it happened that fast, he must be a ridiculously fast learner. Congrats.

Of course, I think we're talking past each others here. While I believe in being well-rounded, I also believe that you should have a strong base to begin with, which would make the rounding-out process faster and smoother. Being well-rounded also gives you the opportunity of training directly to counter your next opponent, which always is an advantage.

I agree, and this is exactly why rounding out is gonna get more and more important.

Anyways, I'm off to bed. Good night\day\whatever, lads.

Question here. I'm still pretty new on the game but I'm into the prospect fighters and having the patience to build them. I actually have a few of them (around 5) that I want to raise but since I'm now I'm low on money besides what the fighters currently have. Do you need a lot of money to invest? I'm buying good supps but not breaking the bank. Each fighter has about $800 in a beginner gym getting cardio up. The thing that scares me is when I need to go do secondaries and such I'll be broke.

I have a few different guys that can spar off each other in the same city. I have 2 Wonderful BJJ, Wonderful wrestler, and Wonderful boxer. To spar primaries (besides MT, I don't have a MT specialist) I can just stay in the beginner gym paying like $25 and spar off each other, right? The secondaries though I would have to get into gyms with coaches and that's what might break me. Any advice on this? Should I of waited and just made 22 yr olds to get my manager money up?