Sucker Punch Pro Series (Unrestrained) Opens in Sydney

HareRumpler

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1588630850SP_Poster_265CSS.png

Sucker Punch Preview

Heavyweight Cockshot Sorter Series: Round 2

Hello Sucker Punch fans, and for those of you in the U.S., on behalf of myself, Hare Rumpler, our analyst, Donkey “Dan”, and our media correspondent, Suzy Sucker Punch, I hope you’re all enjoying a relaxing Memorial Day weekend and remembering those who have given the lives to ensure we have the freedom and liberties we do have!

That being said, it was a nice little break as we didn’t have a card over the weekend, but now…it’s time to get back to business as we prepare for the big boys, those Heavyweights here at Sucker Punch Pro Series to get at it in just under 36 hours!

What started out with 16 is now down to 8! Those that remain in the Sorter Series tourney are all vying for that 10k/10k/10k contract as the champ or the runner-up…plus a 50k bonus for the winner…and, more importantly…the goal of being belted our very first champion for the Heavyweights at Sucker Punch Pro Series!

So tonight we’ll see those four fights, along with an opening sparring session and five other matches among the Heavyweights here at Sucker Punch to continue establishing rankings once this is all over. One of those five fights is also looking like it may help establish one of our top contenders going forward!

Oh, and Donkey, we have a huge surprise for you this week! I think you, and many of the fans out there, are going to love this one! Threads of Hardcore went and did something a little special in your honor, hahaha! These are only available over there in their shop!

b77e7beba735189e77b4a9cca3c2908a.pngcd12228ab6ef1474765b0396982a9361.png

Donkey: Ha! It's about time I got the recognition I deserve around here! And look, it takes another org to get shit done for me! Man, you're luck you don't lose me guys...seriously! This is what it's like to be properly appreciated!

Hare Rumpler: As much as Donkey thinks we don't appreciate him, on behalf of myself and all of Sucker Punch, we'd like to thank J. W. Hardman and Rebel Sith for a cool idea to honor Donkey!

J. W. Hardman: My pleasure bro, Donkey is well worth it!

And now, before we get started on the actual matches taking place for this card over at Hard Knocks, Sydney, a word about our sponsor!

http://mmatycoon.com/images/company/logo/1584375781SWN.jpg

When you think about training your fighters, one of the biggest concerns is keeping them in the gym and actively training, am I right? And you can’t do that if they have to be stopping to recover and rest for sessions here and sessions there! That is why you need to visit our sponsor, Shadow Warrior Nutrition, and specifically grab some of their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q. It is literally the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Bonus Sparring Session

Emmit Smith (0-0-0) vs. Behanzin Hossu Bowelle (0-0-0)

A couple of brand new faces to MMAT here, we’ve got one young gun from Benjamin Halle’s stable and another from our (Yabai) very own Esiah Xavier’s group of kids. Both come in to Sydney looking to impress their masters and praying that the gods will feel inclined to bless them with great hiddens and confidence to boot!

Being that neither have fought a professional fight before this, it’s tough to really say which way this will go. We have Bowell, Esiah’s boy, who prefers the clinch at this point in his early career…and for Halle’s newest boy, Smith, he’s decided to focus on wrestling out of the gate. Will we see a battle to establish the clinch vs. the ground game with either some GnP or sub action going on? Possibly. Or we could see a very generic 3 minutes of patty-cake!

Donkey, I’m hoping you have more to add…?

Donkey’s Pick: I could…but I won’t!

Well, then you’re going to be disappointed Hare! Because as you said, we know nothing about these young wannabe warriors. They could hold all the right keys and become future champions for their managers, or, they could come up small, and either end up delivering groceries for a living! Who knows! What I do know, is I hope they give the fans something to cheer about! Our last card was kicked off by a very cool finish with the hands, and something similar would be a great way to get this crowd into it down in Sydney!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #1

Donald The Donald (0-1-0) vs. Rick Hatton (0-3-0)

Our first Heavyweight undercard bout of the evening features two men who are both seeking their very first professional win. Rick Hatton holds the size advantage here, being 6 cm taller and weighing in at just over 16 lbs heavier than his opponent, Donald the Donald!

Donald came into the Sorter Series tourney as the seven seed but was upset quickly, in just under a minute of the first round, by Aron Egomi via a Kimura. Needless to say, that has to have lit a fire under him you’d think and he’s going to be looking to bounce back in a big way and get on the right path with a win in this fight!

Hatton is an extremely young fighter for us, still at only 17 years of age. He holds a ton of potential, but at the same time may require a bit of patience before he matures. His 0-3 record can make having that patience tough, I’m sure, but he’ll get the chance to use a size, and boxing, advantage in this one to take his first steps towards long term success!

What do you think Donkey…this is going to be a tough pick, eh…?

Donkey’s Pick: Hatton via TKO (Cut)

Definitely. There is no easy pick here, but hey, it wouldn’t be any fun if they were all easy! Before we worry about that, let’s address the really big issue in the room here though…and that’s cuts. Interestingly, Donald is the one who has actually had it stated that he has a tendency to bleed. And he did take a cut in his very first match. We’ll never know if that might have developed into something worse as his opponent subbed him out soon after. This is where it gets interesting…Hatton has shown a solid chin…and not necessarily anything about cuts. But his prior matches scream a different story…with all three being ended by the doc! That is NOT a good sign. Actually, it’s a horrible sign. And it means that between both of these two, the cage is going to look like some sorta slasher film was made on site before most of the other fighters tonight even get out to the cage! Haha. That cut tendency looks bad for Hatton, but luckily he might not be up against a striker. So I’m going to go with him due to his size…but I’m very hesitant on this one.

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #2

Sammy Mo (0-4-0) vs. Tnt Winner (4-1-0)

Sammy Mo came into our org, and the Sorter Series tournament, looking for his first win after striking out three times in QFC’s. Unfortunately, a win was not in the cards for him during the first round of the tourney, and he now looks to get on the right track and prevent himself from being ranked too low once this thing is over.

Across the cage Mo will be staring at Tnt Winner, a 4-1 record holder who has focused solely on QFC’s to date with this being his first fight here at Sucker Punch! His only loss so far in his career was in a QFC Tournament to one of our own, Drizzy Haze. Drizzy was our four seed in the tournament and was upset in the first round. Winner’s goal will be to prove that he is just that, a winner, and that he can be victorious outside the QFC. Mo will certainly give him a good challenge and test his skills!

What you have here is your classic standup versus ground battle. Mo will want to keep this on the feet, where he’ll attempt to use a significant boxing advantage and clinch game to land his first win. Winner has the much stronger ground game, both in wrestling and with his purple belt in BJJ against Mo’s blue. Three of his wins have come via submission, so I think we know what Winner’s intentions will be!

Over to you Donkey, what do ya have for us…?

Donkey’s Pick: Mo via No Contest

I’d have been very tempted to go with Winner on this one, as a solid ground game can be difficult to overcome at these stages sometimes. But…here’s the kicker. Winner is likely going to come into the weigh in’s overweight and unable to get down in time as it took extra time for him to get on his diet. Apparently FedEx is swamped these days with how much is being shipped in our current Covid environment, and his nutrition sups didn’t come in soon enough. So…yeah, this one is likely not to go off at all…

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #3

Drizzy Haze (5-1-0) vs. Andrejs Medvedevs (2-5-0)

Coincidentally, we just mentioned Haze in the prior fight preview! Coming into Sucker Punch, he was a perfect 5-0 in QFC fights, four of those coming in a QFC Tournament that it looks as if he may have won! Once he got to Sucker Punch though, he faced off against a 13 seed in Bomb Squad Lighting Hands who managed to push it the distance for a decision victory.

Drizzy will look to get back to his winning ways here in this one as he faces off against former Underground and QFC vet Andrejs Medvedevs. This will be Med’s Sucker Punch debut, and he’ll be looking to prove that he is much more than his 2-5 record! Medvedev is three years the junior of Haze and prefers the clinch and then ground approach, with one of his two wins coming via sub.

Haze will undoubtedly try to use his boxing skills to score points from range and possibly take an opportunistic TKO if he can land the right strike at the right time.

Donkey, what say you sir...?

Donkey’s Pick: Haze via TKO (Punches)

Medvedev has gone the distance quite a bit, but unfortunately it has usually turned into a decision in the other guy’s favor. He has only finished once, via sub, so the thought here is he probably needs to round things out a bit further to complete his game plan and put it all together. For both of these guys, especially Haze, this fight will be about trying to establish themselves as a fighter who can make it against Sucker Punch competition outside the QFC’s or possibly easier fights in other orgs. The one who comes out the victor here will be taking a big step forward in establishing themselves and moving upward!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #4

Rob Gaunce (2-0-0) vs. Curley Cal (0-2-0)

Our last undercard fight of the evening! Gaunce comes into this contest a solid 2-0 in MMA, having won both of his prior fights via TKO (Strikes). His last fight with Mike Tyson was a Fight of the Night, so expect some fun and a guy who is ready to get out there and bang!

Curley comes into this one the exact opposite, with two prior MMA losses, both coming via TKO (Strikes). This will be a great chance for Cal to even the records up a little bit, as he has the boxing advantage in this one, but gives up the edge in the clinch and grappling. His goal will obviously be to keep this one separated, strike accurately and with precision/intent. And finish if he can, but by all means, be prepared to take this on the distance and win via a decision if necessary!

Gaunce on the other hand will want to keep his winning ways just where they are…and has shown that he enjoys gardening and comics…and especially finds it funny to plant his fist in the other guy’s face during a fun little session of “let’s go to the ground, and I’m going to punch your lights out”. Nothing wrong with that I suppose!

How about it Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Gaunce via TKO (Strikes)

You know, I don’t go into these rooting for one guy over another. Do I root for success, sure, but not because I want it at the expense of another guy…it just has to be that way obviously. Now, I was hoping that we’d see a really good contest here, and perhaps even see Curley Cal make a move towards stepping forward. But…you know how I am about morale and stuff Hare. And Curley’s morale is about half what it should be, meaning that even if he came into this thing trained up and ready to go, he’s probably going to lack the confidence to finish it or keep from being finished. Gaunce is almost certainly going to take advantage of that, take him to the ground, and finish him as Cal won’t have the heart to take too much abuse. A shame really, maybe I’ll be wrong and this one will be a war, but I doubt it.

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #14 vs. #6

Thoth Chontamenti (1-1-0) vs. Abu Al Suman The Second Mohammed Bin Akbar (2-1-0)

As we head into the top of our card, we also head into the first of our four Sorter Series fights for the evening folks! This one may seem odd that the fourteen seed is getting the top billing. And that is a bit odd, but when we kicked off the first two divisions, we had originally seeded via hype+pop, and being that Abu there was 1-1 at the time, he came in as a higher seed. But skillset wise, Chontamenti appears to be the stronger fighter in this one, so that’s what’s up.

Chontamenti has to be one of the favorites to win the tournament. And I don’t say that because he’s managed by Esiah Xavier, one of our Yabai boys. I say that because his skill sets are exceedingly well rounded and looking at the skill chart, he’s right at the top in the division. He’ll have a heavy advantage over Bin Akbar in boxing and MT, and a slight advantage in BJJ. What he gives up in wrestling is minor at best.

For Akbar, unfortunately what we had to say about Chontamenti was the “best” news of the day. Because it only gets worse. First, he has zero, and I mean, zero, morale going. That means…well, I’m sure Donkey will cover this more…but that means really, really bad things are coming for him. Combine that with a manager who has been gone for 4 days (to date) leading up to this fight, and was missing before that for quite a few as well…this is a poor kid who has kinda been left hanging out to dry.

Donkey, I feel bad for Bin Akbar on this…is it as bad as it seems…?

Donkey’s Pick: Chontamenti via Submission (Kimura)

It is. Mark my words, Bin Akbar shouldn’t even step into the cage in Sydney, because he has zero heart for the fight right now, and as an underdog to win this already, he’s probably going to simply fall down upon being looked at. I wouldn’t be surprised if he tells the ref he wants to tap out before they even bother to ring the bell. And honestly, that might be the best move!

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #10 vs. #15

Aron Egomi (2-4-0) vs. Jack Ripper (4-1-0)

As we take a look at the second of our remaining Sorter Series matchups, I get pretty excited here Donkey! Why? Because this is a pairing of two underdogs who came out on top and now get to see who the bigger dog is!

Egomi went into the first round of the sorter series the underdog against Donald the Donald and managed to surprise everybody with a sub in under a minute. I don’t think even Donald saw that one coming! We had mentioned how this kid had been outright abused over at his prior org, and was used as a bit of a punching bag against competition that should have really been looking for somebody in their own age range. Now that he got a chance to come over to Sucker Punch and get a fair shake at it, he’s making up for lost time and has every intention of proving that his prior record means NADA!

Ripper comes from the dark alleys of London, naturally, and also pulled off a HUGE upset in the first round of the Sorter Series, knocking off #2 seed Emir Dervisevic! That was a big one for the evening that had the fans losing their minds as he took Emir’s back and sank in the rear naked choke, sending his opponent home depressed and lining himself up for a solid run in this tourney.

So are you hearing what I’m hearing here? Yep, two sub artists going at it…potentially, unless one of them tries to switch things up. Ripper technically has the better ground skills, at least with wrestling, but if Egomi wanted to, he could decide to go for the GnP combined with the sub again, as his striking is better than Ripper’s.

Donkey, what are you thinking…?

Donkey’s Pick: Egomi via TKO (Strikes)

This could be one hell of a battle, and should serve as a clinic in ground game. But, when things are this tight, I always look for the edge. And right now, Ripper needs a change of clothes to build up his confidence and morale. For me, that gives the edge to Egomi and I think perhaps he wins via strikes on the ground. Both of these kids could go far in Sucker Punch though!

Suzy Sucker Punch: I spoke with Aron Egomi yesterday on a call we had with his manager, and they had this to say…

Aron Egomi: The Ripper will want to nab and eviscerate me. But he's mistaken! Because we will be in a cage and not in a dark street of the Whitechapel district of London. It's already 2020 and not 1888. And I'm not a weak bitch, but a tough warrior! I can promise three things: blood, blood and ... massacre! I'm waiting for you, Jack the Ripper! Death or glory!

Rob Hell: Egomi's message may sound too rude to a young lady, sorry Suzy. So, The Ripper's score so far is just the opposite of Egomi's. I think it was an easy and cheap success of our opponent, with 4-1. It's time to change that. Things will be in place.

Suzy Sucker Punch: Some big promises from Aron Egomi’s camp guys! Let’s see what happens down in Sydney and if they can follow through!

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #8 vs. #16

Bigga Baddaboom (1-0-0) vs. Victor Ballsawash (0-1-0)

No folks, you aren’t seeing things. Yes, this is the second round of the Sorter Series…and yes, that is a 16 seed you see there. Did he win for the biggest upset possible? No. But his opponent from the first round, Carlos Olmos, did have his manager go MIA and left us with no choice but to pull him from the tourney, cut him, and push Victor forward in his place.

That doesn’t mean that Victor Ballsawash is undeserving though. He did push Carlos to a decision as the sixteen seed, proving he can go the distance and have a shot! And he’s probably going to need to do that again vs. Bigga Baddaboom…who is the more skilled fighter with an edge in the clinch and grappling.

In his first fight ever, Boom took it to the clinch early, and knowing that Rick Hatton, his opponent at the time, liked to bleed…well…Boom was all too willing to help him do it yet again. The docs eventually stopped the fight, but that one would have ended with Hatton being KO’d anyway as really the doc had mercy upon Hatton in that contest. He’d already been rocked and was right there ripe for the picking.

Expect more of the same from Boom…clinch, control, tenderize…pour on the abuse! Victor will need to do everything he can to avoid the clinch, keep the strikes coming for points, and maybe even get the lucky KO?

Donkey, over to you, what do you have…?

Donkey’s Pick: Baddaboom via TKO (Strikes)

Bigga Baddaboom has the skill advantage and proved he knows what to do with those skills in his last, and only to date, fight. I think he’ll do the same this time, and would be highly impressed if Ballsawash can force this one to go the distance again. But I’d love to see him try it, and will give him all the kudos in the world if he pulls it off!

Co-Main Event

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #5 vs. #13

Rumble Johnson (2-1-0) vs. Bomb Squad Lighting Hands (1-2-0)

Welcome to our Co-Main Event of the evening folks! Well, it will be, when the time comes! This should be a very exciting one, full of energy and two big boys who both want it big time!

BSLH proved he has what it takes when he pulled off a surprise decision upset over Drizzy Haze in the first round of the Sorter Series tourney. That was his first career win, and likely gave him a taste for it and a desire for more, at least we hope!

Rumble Johnson will be nothing to overlook for BSLH if he wants to move forward in this tourney, that’s for sure! Johnson has proven that he can win on the ground either via sub or with some good ole fashioned ass-whooping! It appears he’ll have the grappling advantage while Lighting Hands excels in boxing. This one really does look like it has the makings for a hell of a contest, I can’t wait to see this one go down!

Donkey, you have a call here…?

Donkey’s Pick: Johnson via Submission (Armbar)

This looks as if it could be one of the best fights of the night, and therefore is a great Co-Main Event there Hare. I like Hands’ chances standing up, and if he can get that lucky, or not so lucky, skilled, shot in, he could drop Johnson and win this. But I have to lean towards Johnson’s maturity and well-rounded ground skills in this one. It won’t be long before Lighting Hands potentially overtakes Johnson in the long run though. Only time will tell!

Suzy had an opportunity to speak with Rumble Johnson earlier this week as he prepared in his home gym with manager Mikey C…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Rumble, a huge fight coming up for you this week in the Heavyweight Sorter Series over at Sucker Punch. This one could define the direction you take in the org for the next several months. What do you think of your chances against your opponent?

Rumble Johnson: Look, the trash talk for this fight will be short and sweet: If you're fighting a guy who can't spell his own name correctly — we all know you meant to say LIGHTNING hands — then he clearly lacks the IQ to put together a solid game plan. When the bell rings in Sydney, it's lights out for Bomb Squad.

Suzy Sucker Punch: Guys, Rumble clearly has a statement in mind, and it doesn’t sound like it’s a handshake and a gentlemen’s affair! I hope this is as exciting as it sounds like it might be!

Main Event - Heavyweight Bout

Random Lik (3-0-0) vs. Mike Tyson (0-1-0)

I cannot wait for this Main Event!!! This one features two very strong competitors, both of whom coming in and starting things out looked like they could be future contenders for the Heavyweight division here at Sucker Punch! Now, both of these guys came to us after the Sorter Series bracket was established, so they aren’t technically in the mix for the belt…yet. But both had the potential to position themselves as top contenders very soon after the Sorter Series belts a champ!

With that said, I’d imagine that whoever wins this, so long as they can keep their winning ways alive afterward, would be in position to get the second or so crack at the champ after the series is over and the semi-finals winner has their shot. So big things are on the line here for Random Lik and Mike Tyson!

Of these two, Lik appears to look like the real true contender. That’s not a put down to Tyson’s skills, but Lik is a bit more well-rounded, and frankly, Tyson’s manager has been a bit on-again off-again when it comes to being around and managing him. So that has to take its toll you’d think.

Lik has the advantage in the clinch, grappling and BJJ. Tyson is the clear boxing favorite. So you’d think the strategy is clear for Tyson…keep separating, box your heart out, put him down if you can!

For Lik, who boasts a 3-0 record to date with both TKO’s as well as a sub, the ground game seems to be the way he’s going to go. Once down there, it’s dealer’s choice on whether he tries to sub or pound his opponent…and it may just be whatever presents itself! Can Tyson keep him from getting to the ground is the question? He better hope so!

A classic matchup there Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Lik via Submission (Kimura)

You would definitely think so, and I think you nailed the approaches perfectly. Lik has a solid chin, but not a granite one, and Tyson is powerful. So he could get to it if he lands a solid punch in the right spot. But he’s going to have to do that before it goes to the ground, because anything past a minute or two in this one and I think that’s where it ends up. And once there, I don’t think this goes well for Tyson.

So there we have it Sucker Punch fans!

The big boys are back in town! And they are ready to make you feel the action as they come ready to clash down undah in Sydney in a just over a day now! We’re getting really close to knowing who might come out wearing the belt in this division, and these fights should tell us a ton about what this division is going to look like for a while now! I hope you’re as excited as we are!

Enjoy the bone crunching action, and till next time…

Keep it cheap and dirty…Sucker Punch Pro Series 355k+ style!

• Upvote 2

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1588630850SP_Poster_265CSS.png

Post Event Cheap Shots

Heavyweight Cockshot Sorter Series: Round 2

Many of us were watching the fireworks go off this past week in the United States, but for the Sucker Punch fans down in Sydney, the fireworks definitely went off last night! Hare Rumpler here along with our analyst, Donkey “Dan”, and the fantastic Suzy Sucker Punch, our media correspondent!

I hope you all enjoyed last night’s event as much as we did, because it was a real treat! Surprisingly, most of the big boys kept the action on the up and up…I was a bit disappointed not to see any of those monsters go crumbling to the mat after a particularly naughty shot to the boys, but hey, we can’t get everything we want in life!

These Heavyweights are getting closer and closer to determining exactly where they each stand in the hierarchy of things in the division. And with each step of this Sorter Series, and the accompanying other fights that help determine standings, we get one step closer to belting a champion! Once that happens, let the hunting begin and they become a wanted man, with everybody else aiming to knock them off that throne.

The action was hot and heavy, so let’s not delay, it’s time to get to those reviews after a word about our merch partner!

You know, we had a couple fights last night that, while I’m not saying they would have ended differently, may have taken a different path to the end result had both fighters known about Shadow Warrior Nutrition! That’s right, a couple of those guys came in with almost no energy, and if they’d taken advantage of Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q while training, there’s a good chance they wouldn’t have been so gassed out before ever getting into the cage! Don’t let your fighter go in there at a disadvantage right from the start, check out Shadow Warrior today, you NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Bonus Sparring Session

Emmit Smith Defeats Behanzin Hossu Bowelle via Submission (Triangle)

Two young combatants both looking to impress, with Smith coming out on top after laying down a string of sub attempts! Ok, so the technique isn’t quite there yet, but these boys are young and hungry.

A good fight to get things started up, this was just a quick sparring session to see what’s what and give their managers something to go by when deciding whether they’re worthy of a spot on the roster.

Bowelle took a couple shots at Smith early, but it wasn’t more than about 15 seconds in when Smith got a counter takedown and then took control of this one down where he’s comfortable, on the mat trying to bend things in all the wrong directions! Seven sub attempts later, and Bowelle was tapping out…and Smith’s arm was being raised! Congrats to the kid!

Donkey, what did the kids show…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Unfortunately for both, they, against all odds, BOTH showed a tendency to cut. That’s never a good sign, and for many veteran managers will mean these kids will be looking for work. Bowelle showed less than a 13% morale drop after the loss, but that’s unlikely to save him from Esiah Xavier’s chopping block. Word on the street has it that Benjamin Halle is even more ruthless, and Smith was seen at the airport begging for spare cash so he could catch a flight home to Montreal after Halle cut him immediately following the fight. Wow, there’s one way to be congratulated for your win! Tough business, but that’s the way it goes sometimes!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #1

Rick Hatton Defeats Donald The Donald via TKO (Punches)

Whoaaaaa Nelly! Woooo, Donkey, did you see that one? Damn, he bounced his ass off the cage and then delivered the killer combo! That’s right, we’re talking about young “Second Chance” here, Rick Hatton! The youngster, who is only 17, comes out trying to improve upon his 0-3 start to his pro career, and if you’re going to improve upon it, this is the way you do it baby!

I love the nickname, and it’s so fitting being that this was his second chance here at Sucker Punch Pro Series, after he was up against a very tough task in the first round of the Sorter Series last time. This time, stepping into a match that was definitely more even than a 16 seed going against the #1 guy, he showed the promise that his manager was hoping to see!

Donald got stunned a little bit out the gate it seems, not expecting a jab right on the nose that left him bleeding. Something, btw, that has to be a long term concern for Donald being that he’s shown a tendency to cut and has proven it correct in two fights. It’s never become an issue that the docs have had to step in on, but that may only be due to how quickly his two fights have come to a finish, first via sub and now via TKO.

I don’t know if Donald planned on being the more passive, counter type fighter in this one, or if it just worked out that way due to getting tagged early and having Hatton be the clear aggressor. But it got off to a rocky start for Donald quickly and after dodging a combo, getting it up with a hook, and then after another tag or two getting bounced off the cage and set up for the finish. Disappointing for Donald no doubt, but exciting finish for the fans!

You got this one Donkey, nice start. You’re on a roll eh…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Certainly an exciting finish for the fans, and it has to be an even more exciting finish for Hatton’s manager, Kyle F. He finally gets one in the win column for his young warrior and this should be the start of good things moving forward! We knew Hatton had the boxing advantage, but I’ll be honest, I wasn’t aware he had the ability to finish with those hands of his in such dramatic fashion. For The Donald, he’s going to have to take a hard look at those cuts and figure out if long term there’s going to be an issue. One way or another, he’ll need to adjust to both prevent cuts as well as potentially protect the chin. We’ll see how he adjusts next time!

Suzy spoke with an excited Hatton and his manager, Kyle F following the fight…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Rick, you finally got your first win and made it a stunning finish, just the type of win you want to remember as your first. Did you intend to go for it in this one like that?

Rick Hatton: I figured if I hung back and picked away at him with accurate shots I'd get him late 2nd or 3rd round or at the very least get the UD and he would gas out. So to score a knock with a combination was crazy.

Kyle F: Either Hatton here has some solid power or Donald has a questionable chin. Time will tell on both I guess!

Suzy Sucker Punch: Well guys, sounds like Hatton and his manager had a nice patient approach planned, but when opportunity knocks…well, you knock them out!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #2

Sammy Mo (0-4-0) vs. Tnt Winner (4-1-0) (No Contest)

Donkey, this next one was a killer…and actually put a hurting on the event’s overall rating, ouch. We were hoping for a good contest between these two, but instead, as we suspected might be the case, we got a no-contest due to Winner not being able to make weight for the event. I’ll just leave your original commentary for this alone down below from the preview, because frankly, there’s not much more to say. We’ll give Winner till the next card to get in shape and what not, but after that I think we’d have to move on unfortunately, as this one really hurt.

A shame for Mo, who I’m sure was all set and ready to go for this one and now potentially has a couple training sessions wasted from resting up, and potentially changed his training plan for the fight. That’s who this really hurts, forget about the org for a second from an event rating, but this really is unfair to the other guy who makes weight. For that, we apologize to Mo and his manager and will ensure a good fight next card!

Donkey’s Pick: Mo via No Contest

I’d have been very tempted to go with Winner on this one, as a solid ground game can be difficult to overcome at these stages sometimes. But…here’s the kicker. Winner is likely going to come into the weigh in’s overweight and unable to get down in time as it took extra time for him to get on his diet. Apparently FedEx is swamped these days with how much is being shipped in our current Covid environment, and his nutrition sups didn’t come in soon enough. So…yeah, this one is likely not to go off at all…

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #3

Drizzy Haze Defeats Andrejs Medvedevs via TKO (Punches)

In his Sucker Punch debut, Medvedevs really wanted to go in there, establish his game in the fight and come away with his first win in the org! Haze was in a similar position, having taken a loss in here at Sucker Punch in the first round of the Sorter series that ended his undefeated streak.

Unfortunately for him, Medvedevs’ focus on getting to the ground was thwarted at almost every turn by Haze, barring one takedown from the clinch. He did have that opportunity though, but was unable to make good on it, with the refs eventually standing it back up. There was a lot of hesitation on Med’s part once on the ground. He even hit the sweep at one point to get on top, but then surprisingly attempted to stand. Given that he attempted 18 takedowns in this contest, that was very perplexing that he’d want to get back up again after gaining top position!

Donkey nailed this one for Haze though, calling not only the TKO, but via Punches, as Haze held off Med’s ground game attempts and punished him with shots to the head from standup. After two full rounds of taking punishment, and potentially becoming a bit punch drunk in the process, Medvedev’s corner sent him out for yet one more round…one too many. He came out in a daze…and was TKO’d immediately by Haze! See what I did there Donkey! I’m a poet and didn’t know it! HA!

Donkey, what do you have sir...?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

We thought that perhaps Medvedev’s game wasn’t fully rounded out yet, and that perhaps he needed some time to fully establish his game plan and what he wants to accomplish in certain scenarios. That seems to be the case, as Hare pointed out, as there is some question as to what his goals were in key positions. Clearly he wants to be on the ground, but doesn’t seem to know exactly what he wants to do once there. This uncertainty and indecision definitely left him vulnerable in the fight, and limited his ability to take advantage of any opportunities he could gain. In the meantime, Haze had a plan, punch Med in the head and keep doing so until he succumbed. And he did. Decent plan, it may have to be refined and become a little more sophisticated over time, but for now it’s definitely working!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout #4

Rob Gaunce Defeats Curley Cal via Submission (Armbar)

Donkey was suspicious that Curley Cal’s lack of morale coming into this one was going to leave him with very little fight…and make him extremely vulnerable to Gaunce’s approach of a takedown and a finish! Now…Donkey suspected that the finish would be via TKO, especially if Gaunce got the top position, but it never came to that…and instead ended in a spectacular display of fantastic Jiu Jitsu!

Gaunce clinched up immediately, and then quickly used his strength…and probably Cal’s lack of fight…to pull guard. From there, the play by play guy’s commented on how we could do with a little more action as they went to a bit of stalling…and that may have been the case for Cal, but seems Gaunce was simply laying the trap! Cal finally pulled up, deciding to make some effort and came in with the Superman punch, which Gaunce seemed prepared to avoid…and then the trap was tripped…with Gaunce laying into a trianble sub attempt and transition to armbar that was a thing of beauty!

How about that Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Definitely Sub of the Night material there Hare! It truly was beautiful, from start to finish. The setup, the defense and then the move to take advantage…and that transition to the armbar, so fluid! Could Cal have avoided all of this and the way it ended so quickly, in just under 35 seconds? Possibly if the morale wasn’t low, but we’ll never know if that could have been the case, as I’m convinced that that was a big contributer to this fight. And that’s not to take a thing away from Gaunce!

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #14 vs. #6

Thoth Chontamenti Defeats Abu Al Suman The Second Mohammed Bin Akbar via Submission (Triangle Choke)

Donkey, I have to admit that at just about a half round here, this one lasted longer than I anticipated! Bin Akbar came in with zero morale, which is never going to work. You jokingly mentioned he’d probably fall down upon being looked at, but he took it one step further and did the worst thing possible against an opponent who loves subs…and initiated the takedown! The only thing surprising about this one is that he didn’t give in and tap on the first sub attempt.

Instead, it took Chontamenti a surprising 14 sub attempts before he finally put this one away. There really wasn’t much else involved in this, with Bin Akbar making a somewhat offhand attempt at a sub towards the end and generally throwing a few shots in there from the top position beforehand, but then eventually giving up the inevitable tap!

Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

No surprise here. This wasn’t going to be a challenge for Thoth given the morale issues. Come prepared, or maybe…don’t bother? This was little more than a bye for Chontamenti. For ole Abu there, unfortunately for him he’s being mismanaged…or possibly just unmanaged. I’m usually not so brutal, but his manager has been gone for another 6 days again. His days in Sucker Punch are probably numbered at this point.

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #10 vs. #15

Aron Egomi Defeats Jack Ripper via TKO (Head Kick)

Wow Donkey! Egomi comes out last night and shows us something a little different from what we were expecting in this one!

Big promises were made when Suzy spoke with Aron Egomi and his manager, Rob Hell, earlier in the week prior to the event! And those promises were fulfilled! Egomi had declared, “Death or glory!” and ending a fight with a head kick definitely qualifies as taking the glory!

For his manager, Rob Hell had questioned Ripper’s record to date, calling the wins, “easy and cheap”. Well, I’m not sure how easy or cheap they were, but certainly Egomi got the best of it in this one. Ripper tried to implement his game plan, which was to get to the ground. He made three takedown attempts from standup, with another coming in the clinch, but wasn’t able to get Egomi to comply!

Instead, Egomi’s striking was on point, as he struck with pinpoint accuracy after stuffing each of those takedowns, going almost perfect with 9 head punches, 2 body shots, 1 leg kick, 1 missed kick to the body…and then the big one…one head kick in a pear tree! And the ref had to make the tackle before the celebration started on Ripper’s defenseless soul!

Not a bad 90 seconds of work for Egomi, and he moves on to the Sorter Series semi-finals!

Donkey, thoughts…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I really thought this would be a ground game clinic, but Egomi surprises and takes care of business on the feet! And speaking of feet, who knew that Egomi had skills with them?!? Well, I can tell you who knows now…and that’s Mr. Ripper over there! Egomi improves his record to almost an even .500, and in the meantime moves on to the semis, while Jack takes a small step back and moves to 4-2. He’ll need to bounce back more focused than ever in his next match to get a win and continue establishing himself on the ladder for this big boy division!

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #8 vs. #16

Bigga Baddaboom Defeats Victor Ballsawash via KO (Punch)

This event turned out to be amazingly easy on Donkey from a prediction standpoint. Not all of his calls were correct from a technical standpoint if you include the actual finish, but aside from that he’s just about perfect so far, which is shocking at this point in a tournament and given the one on one matchups that were selected! That will certainly make the next series of matchups interesting as we gain more and more intel on these big bodies!

Ballsawash was absolutely dead set on taking this fight to the ground. Apparently that is the only way he and his camp felt they had a chance to pull off a victory. I have to wonder if being so single-minded in the pursuit of a takedown might have actually hindered it from taking place? Perhaps it became a little too predictable? A total of 22 attempts were made in just under two full rounds. That’s…a lot. And it definitely took its toll on his energy.

Baddaboom spent most of the first round dodging and avoiding those failed takedowns from Ballsawash, and countering with strikes from the hands and feet that took their toll as well. Having allowed Ballsawash to gas out in the first round, trouble was brewing when Balls came out in the second and was already dropping his hands and showing the fatigue that was setting in. another missed takedown and Baddaboom rocked him…and credit where it’s due, Balls surprisingly held on and recovered…so this man does have some heart!

After about 2 minutes in the second though, Baddaboom finally did what we were expecting much sooner, and moved into the clinch. That was a very bad sign, as he was already winning the fight and the clinch is where this man really does his nasty stuff! Two more minutes of tenderization and abuse, and it was all over, with Baddaboom punishing a poor Ballsawash as he was left in a crumbled heap against the cage! A beautiful KO as he bounced him off the cage and landed that final crushing right hand!

Donkey, what do you have…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I think you pretty much said it all Hare! An exciting fight, but you could tell that Ballsawash was getting frustrated with the failed attempts to take this one to the mat! Impressed with his heard and morale though, he kept coming no matter what, until he had no say in it and the smelling salts were the ones to inform him that the fight was over. Baddaboom proves once again that his hands, and that deadly clinch, are something to be reckoned with and sends a clear message to others! Take him down, if you can, and if you can’t, suffer the consequences! He’s now a perfect 2-0, both here at Sucker Punch, moves on the semis, and establishes himself as a clear presence that will demand to be dealt with!

Co-Main Event

Heavyweight CSS Round 2: #5 vs. #13

Rumble Johnson Defeats Bomb Squad Lighting Hands via KO (Strikes)

Let’s get ready to Rummmmmmblllllle! Oh, wait, am I going to get sued for saying that Donkey?!? Ah hell, whatever, but yeah…wow…I liked this as one of our big fights of the night as the Co-Main Event…and while it didn’t go the distance, it has the fireworks that’s for sure!

Bomb Squad unfortunately may disagree with how “great” this one was. He came in a bit more fatigued than we anticipated in the preview, being that we thought he’d be rested up in time. And while his energy wasn’t significantly low, we now have to question his cardio a little because he was showing fatigue very early in this match!

Rumble got shook just a bit early as Hands let him know he was there, but after taking a few punches must have woken up and realized that he needed to get on his horse and implement his own fight. He took this thing to the clinch shortly after and then started to assert his control over things. A few shots here and there, a cut later and then BOOM…Rumble laid down a bomb of his own in the form of an uppercut that sent Hands to the mat. And based upon prior fights, that’s not the place you want to end up with Rumble!

Rumble has shown the ability to switch things up once on the ground, dishing out both GnP as well as subs depending upon what offers itself up as opportunity…and once again, he showed that he’s willing to take whatever is given! First going for the sub…and when that wasn’t there, coming down with a HUGE unexpected hammer…leaving Hands to have his trainers explain what happened later! Quite possibly, the KO of the Night folks! That was nasty!

Donkey, you almost got this one huh…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Almost Hare, almost. Easily could have been the sub I called, but instead the KO opportunity presented itself while Rumble was going for the sub! Rumble called for the early KO in this one saying he was going to put the lights out for Hands when Suzy spoke with him, and this is definitely how you deliver on what you promise! Lighting Hands may have to work on some basics a bit and plan to come back strong and ready for his next fight. I can say this, the guys we’re seeing move on to the semis, including Rumble with this win, are all competitors to be reckoned with.

Suzy caught Mikey, manager for Rumble, before he could sneak out of his box and go catch up with his young fighter…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Hey Mikey, so a big win for Rumble down there just now! You guys were talking this up earlier in the week…I guess you feel it was all justified?

Mikey C: We said we were going to turn the Lights out...and that’s exactly what we f—in’ did!! A nasty KO to push Rumble Johnson into the next round. Bring it on, boys. It’s time to Rumble.

Suzy Sucker Punch: Clearly no backing down from your camp! Others are on notice, clearly!

Main Event - Heavyweight Bout

Random Lik Defeats Mike Tyson via KO (Strikes)

Well, it was our Main Event, and while there was definitely some bone jarring action in this one, it didn’t turn into the “contender” battle we’d hoped for! Lik comes away the victor, and does it with a huge KO that will leave Tyson wondering, “Who dat?!?” when looking in the mirror…at the hospital!

Several unfortunate things happened in this match for Tyson. First, he came in next to dead. I’m not sure if he was out partying a little too hard in Sydney the night before, of if his manager simply worked him wayyyy too hard leading up to the fight, but we didn’t expect him to be THIS drained. His tank was just about empty, and that’s never going to turn out well!

Second, Tyson and his camp didn’t listen to us one bit. Well, at least, not to the second part of what we said. We said he needed to punch Lik hard, and early, to get to him before Lik got a takedown. Well, he tried striking…but then was immediately taken down within seconds of the bell. And the play by play guys seemed to think Tyson looked like he didn’t expect that! Hell, the man shouldn’t have just expected it, he should have counted on it and been working on takedown defense off and on all week leading up to this! This is what Lik does…he takes your ass down!

Once Like had Tyson on the ground, this thing was really just a formality. Donkey called it for a sub finish, but Lik went with the KO finish instead, arching up and landing two skull rocking shots that will leave Tyson with a possible concussion, if not a factured friggin’ skull! This probably won’t get KO of the Night, being that the competition was already so out of sorts with the energy, but it was a hell of a way to end an evening!

Not what we expected Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I said this would go to the ground and end badly for Tyson if it went anywhere past a minute or two. Maybe I should have said a second or two! Tyson came in fatigued, and that’s a death sentence in most any fight. Just. Can’t. Do. That. End of story, the same way Lik ended Tyson’s night. Lik racks up another win and continues to make a case for himself as a potential high end contender!

The big boys rocking each other’s worlds down in Sydney! And this is what we expect when the big fellas get it on…FINISHES! Two submissions (three if you count the sparring match!), six (T)KO’s and a whole lotta hurt! The only smudge on a fantastic night being the one no contest due to Winner not making weight. That was a downer, but luckily it was early and the action that followed was more than enough to get these fans hyped and send them home in a buzz! Love it baby!

I’m as excited as anybody and can’t wait for the next chance to see these behemoths!

Till next time…

Hey there Sucker Punch crew!

So I had started setting up and tracking certain records and such for SPPS. The beginnings of that are here, although I have a spreadsheet behind the scenes where I also have current streaks and totals for the portions of this that aren't filled in yet (due to us not having enough fights in yet).

Let me know what you think and if there are any good (and reasonably tracked/maintained) records I may be missing. Looking forward to having these out there for the org as we move forward!

This back in the second post of this thread, right after our introductory post that started this whole thing out!

• Upvote 1

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1588797632SP_Poster_145CSS.png

Sucker Punch Preview

Featherweight Cockshot Sorter Series: Round 2

Hello Sucker Punch fans!!! On behalf of myself, Hare Rumpler, our analyst, Donkey “Dan”, and our media correspondent, Suzy Sucker Punch, boy do we have a treat for you this evening!!!

The Featherweights bring it tonight for the second round of our Sorter Series here at Sucker Punch Pro Series, and there are some big time, career establishing matches lined up in this one! The night will start off with an extra Heavyweight fight that spilled over from our card earlier this week, with Emir Dervisevic going toe to toe in the cage with Dookie Shoes! Then, we’ll switch over from Super Size Mode to Power Packed in Small Packages mode as we bring on the Featherweights! Nine exciting fights to be exact…three of them part of the Featherweight Sorter Series bracket.

I’m not even going to keep going on and on about this, because I just can’t wait to jump into the fights and looking at what we’re going to be seeing this evening…and a big treat for the fans…this is our largest event ever as we’ll be holding it at the 7,000 seat Schooners Bar in Sydney! It couldn’t be a better time to have that many seats available, as this is a “can’t miss” event!

But now, before we gets started, a word about our sponsor!

When you think about training your fighters, one of the biggest concerns is keeping them in the gym and actively training, am I right? And you can’t do that if they have to be stopping to recover and rest for sessions here and sessions there! That is why you need to visit our sponsor, Shadow Warrior Nutrition, and specifically grab some of their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q. It is literally the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout

Emir Dervisevic (2-3-0) vs. Dookie Shoes (0-1-0)

Here we go with the opening fight this weekend folks! A little bit of spillover here from the Heavyweight card earlier this week, it’s awesome because this card will not be opening with a sparring bout or anything like that, this is an actual honest to goodness fight that matters to both of these guys!

Dervisevic will mostly likely come in intending to box this out and stay on the feet. He has a blue belt in BJJ, but in the past hasn’t fared well on the ground and I suspect it’s mostly defensive. He has a big right hand, so if he can land it, it could mean trouble for Dookie Shoes there. Dervy, as I like to call him, will also come in giving up 10 cm in height and 45 lbs in weight!! Wow. This boy may want to consider either beefing up or dropping down about 5 lbs to go to the Light Heavyweights, eh Donkey?

For Shoes, he’s got the advantage clinching up for some muy thai, and should be able to use that size and weight advantage to lean on his man and wear him down. At 25 and 26 years old respectively, both of these warriors should have really solid physicals, and it may come down to who can impose their will and keep the fight where they want it.

I don’t expect this one to go to the ground, but you never know…and if it does go there, it’d probably have to be Dervisevic trying to impose some GnP if he’s got it in the arsenal.

Donkey, how exactly did he get Dookie on his Shoes anyway…? Wait, maybe I’m thinking of “doodie”, not “dookie”…Oh, what’s that Suzy? Nope, my bad, yep, he’s got dookie, probably of the dog variety…on his shoes. Either that, or this boy doesn’t wear any underpants and tends to crap himself right before a match.

Donkey, this is turning into a shit-show real fast eh…?

Donkey’s Pick: Shoes via TKO (Strikes)

Hare…now that’s NOT something I want to see, nor do I think anybody else fighting at this event wants! This is the first fight for crying out loud! And you’ve seen how big these Heavyweights are! This guy is like 275 lbs…my god, I don’t even want to think about the mess! Ok, I think I need to go speak with my therapist now! Maybe this whole thing is a misunderstanding and as a young fighter starting out he just has crappy shoes to wear cause he can’t afford the good ones? Anyways, Dookie Shoes via TKO…

Featherweight Undercard Bout #1

Luke Skywalker (0-1-0) vs. Jun Sekii (0-1-0)

Heading into our first Featherweight bout of the evening it would appear that Luiz Torres has his young padawan trained and ready to go, with good morale and energy. The same can mostly be said for Hito Goroshi and his fighter, Jun Sekii, although the morale is not ideal and could play a factor, at least if you ask Donkey…he’s a stickler about those things ya know!

Both fighters bring a 0-1 record to the cage for this card. We can expect one is going to even up that record while the other will take away some lessons on what works, what doesn’t and what they need to change to get on the right path!

Sekii is all about the standup, and specifically the boxing aspect, so the approach will be very clear and straightforward. Keep separation, strike accurately and…strike young Skywalker down! Although that will be no small feat given that Skywalker has a granite chin. Sekii showed a good gas tank in his first fight so we know his cardio is up there at least, but the big question will be, is all that cardio hiding any other good traits? Time will tell!

In his last fight, Skywalker did not listen to his Master Torres very well, and the contest went to a decision with the judges cruelly deciding against him! Apparently, “try” was an option after all. Skywalker’s first fight against Charles Luciano was a bit perplexing given that Skywalker’s strength lies in wrestling yet the fight stayed on the feet the entire time. Ultimately, he landed over a third of his strikes, which was a decent % relative to Luciano’s poor strike rate, but was outworked by Luciano overall. Will he come in with the same approach, but a bit more aggression against Sekii? We’ll learn a lot about his evolution in this fight!

Got a pick for us Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Sekii via TKO (Strikes)

Unless Skywalker comes in with a different or modified strategy this time around, I think this could play into Sekii’s favor. If the approach is a reserved, counter standup approach, Sekii will benefit due to having the better boxing skills. Now, Skywalker could surprise us and adjust strategy, which is likely, but I’m rolling with what we know. Also, I’m going against my normal rules here, which would normally say not to take the guy with the morale down a bit. So we’ll see how much I mess this one up!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #2

Julian Concrete (1-0-0) vs. Jack Reacher (0-2-0)

Julian Concrete has a very limited amount of professional MMA experience, with his first and only fight in his career lasting lasting only 20 seconds. But boy, what a 20 seconds! This is like the philosophy of why worry about chipping and putting if you can just score a hole in one! So much easier!

Concrete put down Malig Mfer with a KO Punch on the first Featherweight card, and although that fight was not part of the official Sorter Series, it certainly looks great for Concrete and tells us that his hands are made of just that! In fact, it was such a brutal KO that word on the street has it Malig retired a week later, due to ongoing concussion symptoms and no desire to ever step into the cage, or even the sparring ring at the gym, ever again! Now that’s some impressive shit when you can start and end somebody’s career in 20 seconds!

Reacher was on the other side of things last fight, having the fight finished in 23 seconds at the hands of the #1 seed in the tourney, Count Dankula. That’s not something to go and get all emo and wanting to retire about though, as it was a tall order even being asked to try to take on the top seed! Unfortunately for Reacher, that loss left him with an 0-2 record to start his career, but he’ll be looking to start down the path to redemption tonight against Julian Concrete.

The loss to Dankula by Reacher came in the clinch. Reacher’s advantage tonight is with his boxing, while Concrete will want to duplicate what Dankula did and use his own MT advantage. Expect this fight to remain on the feet, with each fighter trying to impose their will, dictate whether the fight goes into and stays in the clinch or not, and score strikes when they can! I’m hoping to see these two bang and for this one to end in fireworks!

Donkey’s Pick: Reacher via Unanimous Decision

Reacher has a big heart, but was exposed on the ground with a sub loss in his first fight and then had his chin exposed a bit in his second, getting dropped against a guy with KO power. He’ll be facing a different test in this one, with Concrete having a granite chin, but having also shown the ability to finish, and finish fast. The question will be, did Concrete get that fast KO due to some underlying big hands, or was it more an indication of Malig Mfer’s lack of a chin? If Reacher has a better chin, can Concrete get to it still, or will Reacher potentially be able to win this on points with accurate, impactful striking? I think we’ll learn some things tonight about both of these fighters!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #3

Mickey DIsmantle (0-1-0) vs. Sorsa Lokki (1-4-0)

In our fourth fight of the evening, the third for the Featherweights, we’ll see Sorsa Lokki face off against Mickey DIsmantle! To me, the path to victory seems pretty clear for both of these young combatants.

Mickey has the Muy Thai skills to get this thing done in the clinch. Although his skills are slightly below those of Lokki when it comes to wrestling, they are very close and he should be able to use the clinch to wear down and abuse Lokki if his physicals are up to snuff. He has a granite chin, but in his last fight he faced an opponent in Warran Peace who favored the ground game with a dash of fists and elbows thrown in for flavor.

Lokki’s advantage lies in his boxing and ground game for this fight. If his camp, led by manager Kaljamaha Kukkonen, does their homework they may decide to use the blueprint provided by Peace and go for the same strategy. To date, Lokki has been unsuccessful outside his lone QFC fight win, with non-QFC fights having gone against him. He’s been defeated via decision, two KO’s and a submission, so opponents have used a variety of ways to put notches in the right hand column for him.

Donkey’s Pick: DIsmantle via TKO (Strikes)

This is a very big fight for both of these kids. For DIsmantle, this is his opportunity to change everything, avoid moving to 0-2 and develop a winning approach. For Lokki this is an even more important fight, perhaps even career defining. If he drops to 1-5, it may be time to question whether big heart is enough to be successful and if there are enough other intangibles in place to help him succeed. If he wins though, it’s a solid win against a good opponent and should help lift the camp’s spirits and drive them forward!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #4

Jack Sparrow (7-1-0) vs. Danny Mullen (1-1-0)

Roger Smith has led young Jack Sparrow to an impressive 7-1 record which started off with a 4 fight tour in the QFC where he won the tournament he entered at 135 lbs. They went on to tack on an additional three wins in the HFC before finally falling to Lorenzo Bataglia via Strikes last month. They move up a weight class now to Featherweight here at Sucker Punch, so we will see if not fighting as the heavier fighter versus their opponents helps or hurts.

Another fighter making his Sucker Punch debut will be standing across the cage, with Danny Mullen bringing a 1-1 record with him under Willy Wolfe’s management. Mullen is a pure boxer. Which makes his solo win even more amazing, being that it came via submission while he holds a white belt!

This is an extremely well matched contest between these two with both fighters in the 23/24 year old range, and both showing about the same development in primaries. The difference will be that while Mullen is a striker, Sparrow’s skills are focused on grappling. Mullen may have won his last fight via sub, but I think that’s the last thing we should be expecting in this contest and he’d be well advised to stay off the ground against Sparrow who has multiple victories from the ground via both submission and strikes with GnP.

How about it Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Sparrow via Submission (Armbar)

Sparrow comes into this contest with a solid chin and his energy and confidence on high. That means he’s well prepared and coming in under the best conditions possible. Mullen on the other hand has shown confidence in his tales of the tape, but that will be offset some by coming into this tonight with his morale less than ideal. It also means he may not have enough other strong intangibles to offset things enough in his favor for this one. I expect that combined, this may be set up for Sparrow to have some success getting to the ground, which would probably end poorly for Mullen.

Featherweight Undercard Bout #5

Kurt Cobain (2-0-0) vs. Bruce Wayne (0-2-0)

We move into the last of our undercard fights for the evening here, and so far I expect there will have been several fights we previewed already that have the crowd fired up and ready to go for the main fights to come!

Kurt Cobain is not officially part of the Sorter Series as he came to us at Sucker Punch after the bracket was already set. However, both of his professional fights so far have been with us, and both have proven that his hands are a force to be reckoned with! His first fight was a sparring match test fight against Duval Sitsongrit, a young warrior being tested by respected Yabai veteran and leader Theksit Sitsongrit. Cobain dispatched his opponent in that fight in just under 6 seconds with a stunning KO punch that earned him the KO of the Night honors. His second and last fight ended similarly, lasting almost a full minute against Sorsa Lokki who will compete earlier in the evening on this card. Cobain is a Muy Thai artist with powerful hands, but has not yet had to demonstrate his skills in the clinch.

His opponent this evening will be none other than the face behind the Dark Knight’s mask, Bruce Wayne led by manager Ethan Hunt. Wayne comes into this one with an 0-2 record, having lost one in a test fight in the QFC and then his last during the first round of our Featherweight Sorter Series here at Sucker Punch. Wayne is also a Muy Thai fighter with respectable boxing skills and a solid chin, although in the first round of the Sorter Series Niki Antsa was able to get past his chin for a TKO via strikes after taking him to the ground and initiating some nasty GnP.

I would not expect this fight to go to the ground but instead the fans should see these two go toe to toe, perhaps even body to body in the clinch, to determine who is the more physical striker and clinch artist!

That about right Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Cobain via KO (Punch)

While this is a very evenly matched contest on paper, it has to be a little concerning for Wayne’s camp that they’ve fallen via TKO previously and Cobain has established a tendency to KO his opponents in his short career. For me, without a lot more to go on yet with these two, that’s a trend that has to be respected. We’ll know a lot more after this fight though. If Wayne can hold on and stand up to Cobain, it gives him a lot of hope and promise. If Cobain succeeds in continuing his track record, it should strike fear into the hearts of future opponents!

Featherweight Main Card Bout

O Chen Purjalsta (1-1-0) vs. Adrian Petrov (2-5-0)

Moving on, we get to our only fight of the evening in the top four that is not part of the Sorter Series bracket fights. One of those fights will take place a week from this card, as the fighters needed an extra week of prep time and rest.

Brought to us here at Sucker Punch by Patrick Sherley, O Chen Purjalsta was previously managed by Yabai vet and mentor Bwang Jong Sr. He has a solid chin and is 1-1 after having taken part in a QFC tournament at the 135 lb weight class. His solo win, obtained in his first fight, was a submission via strikes.

This will become a very interesting matchup of similar skills, with both fighters closely mirroring one another in most areas, barring a blue belt for Purjalsta and a purple for Petrov in BJJ. Petrov’s two wins have both come on the ground, one via submission and the other via strikes, so a similar approach and game plan appears to make up his arsenal! Petrov is 27 years old to Purjalsta’s 25, so neither are young baby faced 18 or 19 year olds either. From a physical standpoint, Petrov does have the size, standing 15 cm taller at 180 and weighing in a little over 7 lbs heavier.

Donkey, what are you thinking…?

Donkey’s Pick: Purjalsta via TKO (Strikes) (on the ground)

These two do match up extremely well. And normally, I’d favor the slight edge to Petrov’s more well rounded ground game. But, his morale is low at just over the halfway point. For me, that’s never a good thing and always has to be taken into consideration, because it may mean a lack of will to fight it out on the ground and push through for a finish. Or prevent one. So I have to give this to Purjalsta for that reason alone. And Petrov can try to prove me wrong!

Featherweight CSS Round 2: #1 vs. #8

Count Dankula (1-0-0) vs. Hiki Antsa (1-0-0)

As we move into our top three matches of the card, and our first of the Sorter Series Round 2 bracket fights, we find two kids who started their careers out here at Sucker Punch and both won to become 1-0 last time around in Round 1! This fight will see one of them improve to 2-0, move on to the semi-finals and continue aiming to be the first belted in this Featherweight division!

Dankula is the top seed in our tournament and took care of business in the first round by dispatching Jack Reacher after 23 seconds with a TKO. He’s fairly well balanced fighter for his age who has shown KO power and put it on display after moving into the clinch with Reacher and then rocking him with a huge uppercut to close out the first fight of his career.

Antsa, managed by Frank Abbot, will have his work cut out for him in this one. He has the advantage in BJJ with a purple belt, and a small advantage in his wrestling skills, which will certainly be needed. In his first and only fight, he showed a nasty GnP game. He’s going to have to reproduce that again this time, and absolutely stay out of the clinch with Dankula. If he does end up there, he better get a takedown or break quickly. On the ground, he’ll stand a good decent chance, but the unknown is what does Dankula’s blue belt entail and how can he handle being on the ground? Maybe we’ll find out!

Donkey, over to you, what do you have…?

Donkey’s Pick: Dankula via TKO (Strikes)

I suspect that Dankula’s skills may still be a bit ahead of Antsa and it may be tough to overcome. If he has solid physicals, which I suspect, Antsa may get trapped in the clinch and unable to drag it to the ground. If that does happen and he can’t escape, it’s going to mean trouble. I’d love to find out what Dankula has in his bag on the ground though, and think if it gets to the ground this could be a really fun fight to watch, with that evening up the playing field for Antsa!

Suzy had a Zoom session with Hiki Antsa earlier this week…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Hiki, a huge night coming up this week for you, congrats on moving on from Round 1! Do you see this as a fight you can win against Dankula, and if so, any specific strategy?

Hiki Antsa: Skillwise I go into this fight as the underdog, so hopefully I'll be able to conjure an ace from my sleeve or alternatively stick my thumb up his ass to get the advantage I need to win. The poor man’s version of Dracula needs to bring his A-game, favorite or not, to best me.

Suzy Sucker Punch: Well, there you have it Hare! Right up your alley…er, well, technically, it seems the strategy is right up Dankula’s…well, alley! Cheap shot or cheap thrill, your call!

Co-Main Event

Featherweight CSS Round 2: #3 vs. #11

Warran Peace (5-1-0) vs. Dave Metal (2-0-0)

Getting close to our conclusion for the evening here folks, but don’t walk away from this one yet! This should be a fantastic fight! Our 2-0 #11 seed of the tournament faces off against the #3 seed who now boasts a very good 5-1 record!

Metal will have the height advantage by 5 cm in this one over Peace who has an 8 lb weight advantage. Do you like your Featherweights tall and lanky or short and squat, Donkey? Haha.

Peace is a 25 year old managed by Dillon Weber and has been on a tear ever since Dillon took over for the past 4 fights! Three QFC wins and a first round win here in our Featherweight Sorter series against a really solid Mickey DIsmantle, all via TKO (Strikes)! His only loss was via submission in a QFC Tournament, the first round of which he also won via TKO (Strikes)! I think I know what works for this guy Donkey! With respectable wrestling and a brown belt in BJJ, this boy likes to get you on the ground and whisper sweet nothings in your ear while beating the crap outa you! At least he seems nice about it…er…well, maybe not!

On the other side of the cage will be Ray Lor’s 25 year old offering to this second round match, Dave “Hardcore” Metal! With a perfect 2-0 record so far, he’s defeated our own Bruce Wayne in a QFC fight before they joined us here at Sucker Punch and David Portanova in the first round of this tournament. Both via decision, so this is a guy who can take you the distance, outwork you and wear you down, all while flirting with the judges and scoring those valuable brownie points! He’s got a good solid chin, a decent defensive ground game where he’s shown he can hold off sub attempts, and a tendency to want to hug and snuggle up close on the feet, tenderize you in the clinch and make you hate life! No, before you ask, I’m not sure if he also whispers sweet nothings while at it or not Donkey!

Donkey, you have a call here…?

Donkey’s Pick: Peace via TKO (Strikes)

First, I wasn’t going to ask that Hare. Not at all, and I don’t think there are any sweet whisperings going on at all! Maybe a little dirty boxing here and there, some cheap shots down low when the ref doesn’t have the right angle, but no, tender sweet nothings are whispered not I’d think. The fighters are welcome to correct me on this if I’m wrong!

This is going to be a fantastic one…normally my question would be…can Metal be taken down or can he defend it? Portanova proved he could be taken down, Port just wasn’t able to capitalize on it due to Metal’s sub defense. So…my guess is that yes, Peace can probably get him to the ground like he has many others. So then…can Metal also defend the GnP that is sure to come after? I’m going to go with, “probably not”, as most fighters aren’t THAT complete at this stage. The other question is…if Metal gets Peace in the clinch, can Peace escape and prevent being molested into submission? I’m so excited to find out all of these things!!! The winner of this one will really have sent a statement to the division…and the loser…well, they’re still looking like a great threat going forward, but will just have more work to do!

Even though this was a very busy week for most fighters as they prepared for the upcoming event, Suzy was able to get in touch with Dave Metal for a few minutes of his time…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Exciting fight coming up this week between you and Peace, Dave! It’s the Co-Main event and I know Donkey and Hare have been chatting about it for days. Any thoughts on how it might go?

Dave Metal: I know I'm an underdog in this tournament but I believe in the tactics my camp is doing for me. Win or lose it doesn't matter it's still experience.

Suzy Sucker Punch: A positive but laid back mindset coming from Metal’s camp! We’ll see if he’s trying to play possum and catch Peace off-guard!

Main Event

Featherweight CSS Round 2: #2 vs. #7

Andy Veidt (4-1-0) vs. Kaoru Nagashima (1-0-0)

And finally our Main Event of the evening…and boy, honestly, it’s probably going to be very tough to top the prior fight Donkey, but I have no doubt these two will do everything in their power to try! Our #2 seed Andy Veidt faces off against our #7 seed Kaoru Nagashima! Have you seen the crazy look in Nagashima’s eyes lately Donkey? Damn, that can even unnerve a two seed I’d think!

Veidt comes into Round 2 with a 4-1 record and fresh as a daisy as he didn’t even have to step foot into the cage for the first round because his opponent tucked tail and ran away! Haha, that’s one way to win em Donkey! That’s even better than the “hole in 1, 20 second KO! (see Concrete earlier in the evening!)”. Not even having to swing the driver! All of his fights have been in the QFC, so this is his Sucker Punch Pro Series debut, with the last four fights ending in three straight TKO’s and then a KO, the last two fights ending in 49 seconds each! Efficient, that’s for sure. I heard through the grapevine that this guy likes black clothing, long walks on the beach, and knocking people the hell out! Mix and match as you choose!

Veidt will look across the cage tonight into the maniacal eyes of the 1-0 Nagashima, who passed his first and only professional test so far in the first round of our Sorter Series here at Sucker Punch! Mattias Lundgren’s boy faced off against Dude Kerel in that contest and took exactly 39 seconds to have Kerel tapping out rather than be put to sleep via Guillotine! He’s a very strong fighter, and the fans seem to love this guy, I hear he’s already got a “Kaoru’s Cobra Cult” following!

A classic matchup there Donkey…?

Donkey’s Pick: Nagashima via Submission (Kimura)

Exactly Hare! This one could very well rival the fun and excitement of the Co-Main Event for the fans! What a couple of fights to end the evening on, and that’s taking nothing away from the fights before these! Heck, the fight with Dankula and Antsa before these could very well turn out to be a highlight affair as well! This is an event that’s well worth the ticket price, and it’s only right that we moved to a bigger arena for tonight! As for who wins here, you’re dealing with a standup versus ground/sub showdown! I even went to my old standby of energy and morale to see if I could find a way to make a decision, and both of these warriors come prepared with their camps having them in prime shape. Their primaries add up similar too. Damn, I’m hard pressed on this! I’m going to go for the upset and call a sub by Nagashima…but damn, I can’t wait to see this!

Do not…I repeat…do NOT miss this one! We’re televising it afterward. So if by chance you can’t make it out to Schooners Bar in Sydney tonight to join the other 7,000 crazed fans for this show, then be sure you catch it afterward, but it’s just not going to be the same as being there live and living it with these warriors! The Featherweights are bringing it, bringing it hard tonight, and everything will be left in the cage, no doubt!

I hope you’re there to enjoy this, I know I will! And till next time…

• Upvote 3

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1588797632SP_Poster_145CSS.png

Post Event Cheap Shots

Featherweight Cockshot Sorter Series: Round 2

Good evening Sucker Punch fans! I’m Hare Rumpler, along with our analyst, Donkey “Dan”, and our favorite media correspondent, Suzy Sucker Punch! I know it’s been a couple days now since this event took place, but damn guys, it was super nice out this weekend! So Donkey and I did some yard work, got some running around in and even a bit of disc golf! What can I say, gotta live your lives!

But here we are, and we’re all set to wrap out the review of the Featherweight Sorter Series, Round 2! Some shocking finishes, some not so shocking, and a few towards the end that didn’t go as we thought they would, at all! But a ton of fun regardless, and I hope you all enjoyed the event.

We had an extra Heavyweight fight that spilled over from our card earlier this week and then things were turned over to our Featherweights! Nine exciting fights to be exact…three of them part of the Featherweight Sorter Series bracket.

Let’s get into the cheap shots after a quick word from our sponsor and merchandise partner!

Do you find that you’re resting your fighters too often? Two, three, maybe even 4 times a week sometimes? If that’s the case, you’re probably not supplementing their training, and if you are I’m thinking you’re not doing it with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q, which is Shadow Warrior Nutrition’s outstanding energy loss reduction supplement. It’s the best money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Heavyweight Undercard Bout

Emir Dervisevic Defeats Dookie Shoes via KO (Knee)

Donkey got this one all wrong to start the night off! Apparently Dookie was too preoccupied with what was on his shoes to get the job done like Donkey thought he’d be able to!

Nah, this one turned into a hell of a fight, going almost a full three rounds with a bunch of back and forth action before Emir was able to end it in stunning fashion! How often do you see somebody KO’d with a knee these days?!? WOW!

About a minute into this one, Dervisevic drops Shoes with a big combo…and maybe Emir should have pounced on him and finished it then…because after waiting for the standup Shoes moved this thing to the clinch and managed to recover! Quite impressive. Round 2 presented even more of a battle between these two, exchanging shots and after two rounds, the play by play guys clearly thought Emir was winning this thing.

Then we headed into Round 3 and Shoes came out swinging, catching Dervisevic with a beautiful combo that dropped him in response to the first round drop, a nice touche’ moment there! Surprisingly, Shoes returned the favor and motioned Emir to his feet! Surprising because Dookie had been trying to take him down throughout the fight, to the tune of 33 attempts!

That may have been a crucial mistake…as he was unable to finish him before Emir recovered his senses…and just little over three minutes into the third Dervisevic caught Shoes with a counter combo that dropped him for the second time in the match, then motioned him up AGAIN! Only a few moments later he tagged him with a jab, and then a surprising knee as Shoes came in at Emir and BOOM!...Lights out!

Great fight Donkey, don’t you think…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Absolutely! This one could easily start us out with the Fight of the Night! Both of these guys really brought it, and you have to be really impressed with how both recovered from some nasty shots! I had called Dookie on this one, but I think perhaps his overwhelming focus on attempting to get a takedown, and to clinch, wore him out over time. He needed to be just a bit more aggressive with the strikes mixed in I think. For Emir, he stayed very busy, throwing a ton of combos which may need to be tightened up a bit to prevent energy loss going forward in bigger fights. His ability to come back from that shot later in the fight was impressive also! Way to go for both men, and opportunities for improvement for each.

Featherweight Undercard Bout #1

Luke Skywalker Defeats Jun Sekii via KO (Punches)

The first of our Featherweight bouts of the evening, and Donkey gets back on track with his picks!

To his credit, Skywalker did indeed adjust his strategy for this fight and came out less passive in the standup. He took the fight to the clinch, and was active in it attempting to get those shots in and wear down his opponent. He also attempted 4 takedowns, which was smart, it wasn’t a constant attempt which would gas him out, but it was a smart move to try to get there. Unfortunately, they just didn’t succeed.

Sekii had a similar approach. He was more successful in standup when separated though, landing all seven of his head and body punches while also landing two out of three combos. That’s a really nice efficiency there! He wasn’t quite as successful in the clinch, landing only about 15% or so of his shots, and attempting 90+! It’s shocking that he didn’t end up gassing out with all those strike attempts!

Instead, it was Skywalker who probably need some work on the conditioning still, as he did gas out after a while, and that left him open, despite the granite chin, for the KO by Sekii. I think we know what he probably has to get up to snuff going forward!

Ya got this one right, any other comments Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Solid outing for both men which this one also going into the third round. Sekii was the more active, but in the clinch certainly not much more accurate. But his standup proved to be superior at separation and when the third round came he capitalized on that right out of the bell to finish this one up, with a stunning and very exciting KO combo! It will be interesting to see what Skywalker has on the ground if he can get there in the future…and I certainly expect him to improve over time with better cardio, coming in with his morale up and working on the finer points of his secondary skills!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #2

Julian Concrete Defeats Jack Reacher via TKO (Punches)

Our third fight of the night was not one to blink during! Lasting only 42 seconds…poor Donkey goes 1-2 in his predictions for the night!

Well, Donkey questioned whether Concrete’s fast finish previously was due to his underlying heavy hands, or if perhaps his prior opponent simply didn’t have a great chin. Well, we’re getting closer to being able to say that this boy’s hands are just hella heavy! He’s finished two fights now in a total of 62 seconds combined, both by dropping bombs with those hands.

For Reacher, he’s now been dropped in the past two fights via TKO (Punches). Yes, that’s an alarming trend, but he’s also been up against guys with a track record of landing some heavy hits! If he can bounce back, get his first win under his belt after this, there’s no telling…he may be able to leave these behind as ancient history!

Donkey’s Takeaways:

There’s not much more to say, and gee, thanks for stealing my job as the analyst there Hare! This one became trouble for Reacher as soon as Julian Concrete got him in the clinch. From there, the abuse got ugly and the uppercuts that started landing were devastating! I know it’s not a position I’d like to be in, that’s for sure. This one got the fans going with the energy reaching a fever pitch after this outstanding TKO!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #3

Mickey DIsmantle Defeats Sorsa Lokki via TKO (Strikes)

Both men needed a win in this fight. And apparently they agreed that the way to get one was to go toe to toe and bang it out! Great for the fans…usually great for one fighter…and not the other. In this case, DIsmantle was the one favored and Lokki…well, he might be regretting the approach!

We’ll never know whether Lokki planned to take this one to the ground and follow the Warran Peace formula or not. This one ended much too quickly for us to find out. The way this one went, I swear I would have sworn Lokki came into it with low morale. But that isn’t the case to the best of our knowledge.

Instead, DIsmantle gets on the right track and evens his record at 1-1. Lokki, unfortunately, drops another leaving him 1-5 with his sole victory coming in the QFC. At this point, I think it’s safe to say that either Lokki’s heart…or more likely, chin…is suspect. He’s been KO’d or TKO’d three times and all have been in the first round.

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I mentioned this in the preview, and I’ll reiterate it. It may be time to question whether big heart is enough to be successful and if there are enough other intangibles in place to help Lokki succeed. This loss is a huge dagger to the heart for him I would have to think. For DIsmantle, he’ll need to continue with the winning ways now and show he’s the real deal!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #4

Jack Sparrow Defeats Danny Mullen via TKO (Strikes)

In our preview, we advised Danny Mullen to stay off the ground and use his standup to win this fight. Right from the bell, it seems he was so intent on moving to the clinch that he left himself wide open for the takedown…and within moments he was already in a really, really bad position! And also making Donkey look good with his prediction…

Donkey, I’m not gonna lie…I don’t know what to say about this one. I mean, it lasted almost 2 minutes, but Mullen essentially attempted that one clinch, and then…nothing. He tried to stand once…maybe tried to transition to a better position once or twice…but other than that about the best thing he did was take punishment well!

Sparrow on the other hand dished out 12 strikes on the ground, 11 of them landing. Ouch! I mean, he was basically just dropping bombs and Mullen was like, “Thank you sir, may I have another!”. Sick little freak! Before this fight started, Sparrow’s manager took to the Sucker Punch forums and predicted pain for Mullen. Specifically, Roger Smith said, “…good prediction on Jack Sparrow, first round beatdown, Danny Mullen might get seriously hurt, make sure an ambulance is ready before the fight starts.”

We made sure we had the Wambalance ready to go, with doc on standby…Sparrow made sure we had a patient to cart away! So much so that Mullen’s manager dropped him the next day like a hot potato. Or maybe a cold one.

Anything Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

We knew if this went to the ground Mullen was in trouble. We also knew that with Mullen coming in less than fully confident, his focus not fully on the match, it could go badly for him. Both happened, and as expected, it went badly. Well, for Mullen at least. For Sparrow, he keeps cruising right along, stacking up those wins and moving up the standings!

Featherweight Undercard Bout #5

Kurt Cobain Defeats Bruce Wayne via TKO (Strikes)

Aaaaannnnd, Cobain still hasn’t had to go to the clinch and use his skils there to finish a fight! Once again, he proves he can do it from distance using those deadly hands of his.

Wayne came into this one with a strategy that just never took flight. Get it Donkey, Dark Knight…a bat…flight. Nevermind man, nevermind. Anyways, he wanted to clinch up in this one…badly. Tried it twelve times, unsuccessfully each and every time I might add. I suppose his theory may have been that Cobain has never been tested in the clinch, even though he has strong Muy Thai. And being that striking from separation with him hasn’t seemed to turn out well for Cobain’s opponents, Wayne might as well try something different.

One problem with that. While Wayne was busy failing to clinch…and that’s all he was busy doing, as he never threw a strike otherwise…Cobain was busy punching him…everywhere! Well, almost everywhere Donkey…I woulda like to seen him punch him in the throat, or maybe the boys, or something like that too, but ya know, you can’t always get what you want! Not that I don’t like Wayne mind you…but you know…this IS Sucker Punch after all! Right?

Anyways, point is you don’t win by seeing who can take the most abuse. Well, at least not in the cage here you don’t. I suppose some might play their own weird games…but I don’t know much about those!

What do you say there Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

Cobain controlled this from start to finish, and what a finish it was! Huge rights that were crashing down like some of the most powerful waves you’ve ever seen on some rough surf! Wayne had something in mind, but once he wasn’t able to get going with it, seemed to just flounder with no bearings. He’s shown a solid chin, but if he keeps taking beatings like this, there won’t be much left of it.

Featherweight Main Card Bout

Adrian Petrov Defeats O Chen Purjalsta via Submission (Armbar)

As we head into our final four matches here, we get to one that REALLY had Donkey off his game! Not only did Arian Petrov prove Donkey wrong and come through with a submission victory, but he did it against the odds as Donkey would say by being low on morale to start! Shows Donkey that his little policy on morale and/or energy isn’t the be all, end all now eh?

This one was three awesome rounds of standup, clinch, takedown, sub attempts, some GnP, you name it! Extremely entertaining for me Donkey, to be honest, I’m not sure why the fight rating came in so low! I mean, what more can you ask for? To constantly have a fight end in 40 seconds or less? I guess for a lot of fans, that’s what they’re looking for, but I love the war that this one became.

Purjalsta wanted to use the clinch in this one as a way to move to the ground. He did that well, gaining the clinch on all five attempts and then also moving to the ground three out of four times he tried. Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to implement the GnP he wanted to once there unlike in the past. Petrov did an excellent job of handling things down there, mixing in his own strikes where needed and then slipping into a beautiful armbar when the opportunity presented itself! Thing of beauty there.

A fun one there, eh Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

“And normally, I’d favor the slight edge to Petrov’s more well rounded ground game. But, his morale is low at just over the halfway point. For me, that’s never a good thing and always has to be taken into consideration, because it may mean a lack of will to fight it out on the ground and push through for a finish. Or prevent one. So I have to give this to Purjalsta for that reason alone. And Petrov can try to prove me wrong!” Well, he did. And I stand corrected! Good on Petrov!

Featherweight CSS Round 2: #1 vs. #8

Count Dankula Defeats Hiki Antsa via TKO (Punches)

Antsa had his shot! He really did…Donkey was worried he wouldn’t be able to get this to the ground and would get stuck in the clinch and abused by Dankula, but instead he got it to the ground just over a minute in and enjoyed most of the first round there! During that time he got to work a bit of the GnP and even managed to get a few sub attempts in. Nobody can ever claim he didn’t have his shot!

Unfortunately, he was unable to seize the opportunity there, and in the second round this thing went back to the feet. And stayed there. Dankula began a four step process of punishment and pain…a little to the body, a few combos, a lot to the head, even a kick to keep Antsa on his toes.

Antsa made his move to come in again, and unfortunately for him, walked straight into a big right hand that dropped him, led to Dankula in the mount…and the refs jumping in for the save! A big finish for Dankula as he moved to 2-0 and Antsa takes a step back to 1-1.

I think Antsa totally forgot about the thumb up the ass move, and that cost him Donkey!

Ya think Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

No Hare, I don’t. I think his manager was messing with you a bit there. Maybe. Anyways, Antsa’s camp felt they were underdogs coming into this one, but I’ll be damned if they didn’t have their shot at taking a favorite out of the Sorter Series tournament here in the second round! But…almost doesn’t count except in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs Hare! Dankula moves on to the semi-finals, but this certainly isn’t the last we’ve seen of Antsa, and he’ll certainly have success here in Sucker Punch!

Co-Main Event

Featherweight CSS Round 2: #3 vs. #11

Warran Peace Defeats Dave Metal via TKO (Strikes)

Our next to last fight, this was the Co-Main Event of the evening folks! And two serious competitors were on tap for us in this one. This went generally like we thought it would. We expected Metal to try to clinch up, and we expected Peace to try to take this to the ground, each with the intent of tenderizing and abusing the other in their very own, special, loving way!

Metal took his shot at the clinch, failed, and then upon checking a kick from Peace, realized that the kick was nothing more than a distraction as he then found himself on his back with Peace in side control! NOT the place he wanted to be. And unfortunately, he’d never recover from the ground.

Warran Peace then began implementing a lot more of the “war” portion of his name and a lot less of the “peace”. With over half of his strikes on the ground landing, for a total of 26…it was not a fun time for both of them down there. I’ll let you guess who was having fun, and who wasn’t!

After about two and a half minutes in Peace dropped an elbow and some strikes and had Metal rocked…and impressively Metal managed to recover from it! That was a bit shocking, as I think everybody in the arena thought it was over right there, even the play by play guys were all excited, you could tell by their high pitched voices, like some sorta schoolboy going through puberty!

Metal almost survived…almost made it to the next round and a shot at redemption and moving the fight into an area of his choice…but damn that bell, it took one second too long to ring, and BOOM…Peace stood up, and came crashing down with a HUGE left that left everybody in the arena gasping and silent for a split second before the ref was diving in for the save and the place went crazy!

Donkey, got anything for us…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

A very good fight, Metal was really very impressive. If you call having a hard head and taking a lot of abuse impressive! I would have honestly loved to see it last one more second to see how the second round would go! Maybe someday we’ll see a rematch Hare. For now, Peace moves on, well deserved…and Metal will see about making sure he retains a high ranking in the division by trying to come out with a bit W in the next one!

Main Event

Featherweight CSS Round 2: #2 vs. #7

Andy Veidt Defeats Kaoru Nagashima via TKO (Strikes)

Our Main Event of the evening, and this one certainly didn’t take long to figure out who was moving on to the semi-finals! 45 seconds, a shot there, a missed takedown…or two…or three…there. And next thing we know, the ref is saving Nagashima from serious damage!

Veidt hadn’t had to fight up until this point in the Sorter Series or Sucker Punch as a whole, being that he had a bye in the first round. That time off didn’t hurt him though, as he came into this one looking very sharp. Right from the bell, he was dodging and rejecting Nagashima’s takedown attempts, and countering with shots right on the button in response!

Nagashima clearly wanted to get this one on the ground…and on the ground fast. Probably a good strategy and one that Donkey felt would lead to victory for Nagashima! Unfortunately, Veidt’s defense against the takedowns was very respectable and between Veidt’s strikes, timing and footwork, he had just the answer every time.

Not that he had to answer too many times. This was one quick way to move on to the semi-finals!

Not what we expected Donkey…?

Donkey’s Takeaways:

I knew picking one of these two skilled competitors was going to be tough. Really, my pick was a shot in the dark so to speak as I felt this could go either way. How each would win was very apparent, it was just a matter of who could impose their will and keep the fight where they wanted it. Well, Veidt proved he was the victor in that battle and gets a well-earned W!

Suzy Sucker Punch: Hey guys, after his fight, Kaoru Nagashima, ever the proud and respectful warrior, came up to us and had this to say…

Kaoru Nagashima: You think I lost, no I've grown more powerful! See this was all actually my plan! Why do you think I didn't lock him up in the cobra clutch and immediately give him the death bite!? I'll tell you why Donkey Dan, because I am a true warrior, and sometimes we need the wisdom of ancient warriors and gods, warriors you can only meet when you are close to death yourself! So I let him have this fake victory as my pathway to other knowledge and communed with the elder bear god Akirono and he taught me the ways, we ate salmon raw, wrestled, and spent the nights together for warmth til I was called back to this realm, and now I return to you no longer the Cobra, but a great cosmic bear of ending! I demand an immediate rematch to show my true form!

Suzy Sucker Punch: Um, I think Kaoru may be operating on a different plane from the rest of us there boys…

And there we go Sucker Punch Fans!

What an evening…one submission…NINE big (T)KO’s! Now that’s what I’m talking about! Our solo Heavyweight fight and the following 18 Featherweight combatants really brought it, and the fans in Sydney appreciated it! Our highest rated event so far, and we can’t thank our wonderful managers and fighters enough for yet another wildly entertaining evening down undah!

So, with another one in the books…till next time…

• Upvote 3

[pic]http://www.mmatycoon.com/gallery/29/29w3.jpg[/pic]

Count Cannula

Nice work by my opponent. Be had a chance to win. Then got a chance to feel these hands. The Count says...you can count, on my championship run

Did my best and had my window of opportunity, but Dankula is a tough s.o.b. He is seeded number one for a reason, so all the best to him and frankly I hope he'll get the belt. For myself, it's back to training and I'm pretty certain we'll meet again.

-Hiki Antsa-

• Upvote 1

http://mmatycoon.com/images/posters/1589063842SP_Poster_170CSS.png

Sucker Punch Preview

WElterweight Cockshot Sorter Series: Round 2

Hello out there Sucker Punch fans!!! I’m Hare Rumpler and I’m excited to bring you this event preview with our analyst, Donkey “Dan”, and Suzy Sucker Punch, our simply outstanding media correspondent!

You know Donkey, we haven’t seen much in the way of true cheap shots of late! I mean, this is Sucker Punch after all, and quite frankly, the last few cards have been sorely lacking in that area. So I know what I’m hoping for as a present along with this card, and that’s some good ole, back home, cheap stuff! A good throat punch, maybe a knee to the boys when the ref isn’t looking, hell, if things aren’t going well, do what you gotta do, goose em! HAHAHA!

Anyway, putting my personal interest in seeing the name of the org upheld in this event, what I can guarantee you is some out of this world Welterweight action this evening! All ten fights will be from the Welterweight division, with four of them moving some well deserving young fighters forward in our Sorter Series tournament, and one step close to potentially being belted the first champion of the division!

And clearly the managers behind the talent in the cage are into this one, ramped up and ready to go! Suzy has spoken with quite a few of the managers and fighters alike, and has a bit of additional coverage to add to this preview for us! I love it Donkey, these guys talk, and that makes for some interesting fun and some high stakes and pressure to follow through.

So let’s move on to what’s in store for tonight, right after a word from our merchandise partner and sponsor!

And that sponsor and merchandise partner is none other than the outstanding Shadow Warrior Nutrition! You’ve heard it by now, but if you haven’t been listening then you truly are not doing everything you can for your fighters on a day to day basis as they train! Almost every fighter gets tired now and then from brutal training sessions. And sometimes, the only difference between having to sit them out for session or two, and keeping them in there getting the most out of that training is the right energy loss reduction supplement! Well, that’s what you’ll get with Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q! So stop by and visit them today, grab some for your fighters and get them using it! You won’t be disappointed!

Now, let's get to it!

Welterweight Undercard Bout #1

Darren Thomson (3-5-0) vs. Thanos Reigns (0-3-0)

Thomson and Reigns will open up the evening for us at the Bondi Outdoor Arena in Sydney. Both of these fighters lost their Sucker Punch debut fights and will be looking for a big rebound tonight as they face off!

For Reigns, this fight is a chance to shake off the loss to #1 seed Igor Vovchanchyn in the Sorter Series. That fight ended after just under three minutes in the first via a KO Punch. Reigns will not want to repeat that process tonight, and needs a win to get out of the 0-3 hole he’s in so far in his career. He’s primarily a Muy Thai fighter and to date has not looked very comfortable on the ground. I suspect his blue belt is mostly defensive. Normally I’d say he probably wants to get this into the clinch and abuse Thomson a bit, but Thomson tends to like the ground, and if Reigns can’t fend off takedowns or pulling of guard in the clinch, that could be problematic.

Thomson is the more well-rounded fighter, although not more skilled overall as these two match up well in overall skill points. But with at least some skills across the board in boxing, wrestling and especially Jiu Jitsu, Thomson’s only true weakness in this bout may be his clinch skills. However, Donkey is not going to be happy to see Thomson coming in with low morale and energy. So we’ll see what he has to say about that!

With all five of Thomson’s losses having come via TKO or KO, and his three wins all via sub, the tactics here for both should be clear! Get to the ground, and due to the energy, do it early and try to finish it via sub for Thomson…and for Reigns, keep it standing, and work Thomson with those strikes, hoping to either follow the prior path of KO or TKO early…or let Thomson wear himself out and then finish it later.

Donkey, got those picks ready to go for tonight…?

Donkey’s Pick: Reigns via TKO (Strikes)

Your instincts are correct Hare. I cannot and usually won’t throw my hat and pick into the corner of somebody who comes in with low morale or energy. Certainly, that’s almost impossible for me to do when both are involved! Normally I’d like Thomson’s chances in this one, and would be encouraged to think he can get it to the ground, especially against a young fighter like Reigns who hasn’t shown yet that he can fully impose his will over a right. But with the low energy and morale, I think maybe that changes tonight for Reigns and he manages to wear down Thomson and get the finish.

Welterweight Undercard Bout #2

Luka Marka (1-0-0) vs. Alex Driver (1-2-0)

Luka Marka and Alex Driver are both brand new to the Sucker Punch fold, with this being their Pro Series debut! Welcome boys, let’s go out there and see what you’ve got tonight!

Driver is the taller and just slightly heavier fighter, boasting a 7 cm height advantage and weighing in at just about 3 lbs heavier. Donkey, have you ever found it strange that we use the metric system for height here in MMAT but not for weight? Anyways, I get distracted easy sometimes. Moving on!

Pretty closely matched in skills, Marka is the better wrestler while Driver has a Muy Thai edge over his opponent. In his sole fight for his career, Marka had a little 3 minute, 1 round sparring match over at HFC in which he demonstrated his wrestling skills with a takedown. I thought I’d then see that he went ahead and took advantage of the position to rain down some GnP, but that wasn’t really the case. A couple opportunistic hammer fists, but other than that no, and even an attempt to stand back up. We’ll have to see what his plan is tonight against Driver, but I’m going to say he probably needs to be much more decisive and assertive than that.

With strong Muy Thai and respectable wrestling, you’d expect to see Driver take this one into the clinch and attempt to use and abuse Marka once there. That wasn’t the case in his sole win, which was his last fight, where he simply TKO’d Kurt Bryan quickly in that QFC fight. He may simply have never had the opportunity and or need to get into the clinch in that one. He’s shown KO power previously, so something for Marka to watch out for!

Donkey, anything to say…?

Donkey’s Pick: Driver via TKO (Strikes)

Both men come into this match with their energy and morale fairly well off. So that shouldn’t be a concern or a consideration. I like the bigger fighter in the standup here, and believe that Driver will have a few opportunities to reproduce the results he got in his last fight. That is, if he can fend off the takedown attempts that are sure to come from Marka. If Marka does get him to the ground, it will be fun to see if he’s refined his approach and uses the position to his advantage.

Welterweight Undercard Bout #3

Hugh Saber (1-2-0) vs. Kahdi Mandinos (1-2-0)

As we move to our third bout of the evening we find two men who will be staring across the cage at one another while hoping they come out on top and chalk up their first win here at Sucker Punch!

Hugh Saber was the six seed in the Sorter Series bracket but got upset by Andrey Nikonov, thanks to a doctor stoppage due to cuts. He’s a man with heavy hands, and definitely displayed them in his very first fight back in March during a QFC bout. Since then though, he’s lost a QFC fight and, as mentioned, his first here at Sucker Punch. He hasn’t shown an inclination to have cut issues, so perhaps the last fight was simply a fluke. We know that his manager hopes so! Saber has good boxing skills, and also a purple belt in BJJ. While he hasn’t been one to instigate the ground game in the past, he also hasn’t shied away from attempting a few subs here and there. Whether he has the skills to pull them off though is still unproven.

Mandinos is a strong wrestler who also happens to have a purple belt in BJJ. He’s won previously via sub, two fights back in a QFC match, but also been defeated the same way in his first ever fight over in SMASH. Most recently, he was downed by Sean MacCarthy via TKO due to some brutal GnP. Expect Mandinos to try to take this one to the ground before Saber can catch him with those nasty hands of his while standing.

Donkey, where do you think this one goes…?

Donkey’s Pick: Mandinos via Submission (Kimura)

From the looks of the prior fights, I’m not sure that Saber’s takedown defense is solid yet. And if not, unless he catches Mandinos early, this one probably goes to the ground. Once there, I think Mandinos’ combination of wrestling and BJJ might be too much for Saber to handle and may lead to a tap out before long. But this is a great test for both fighters, and we’re going to learn a lot!

Welterweight Undercard Bout #4

Rayne Dame (3-1-0) vs. Whaddaboutt Bob (4-4-0)

Whaddaboutt Bob? Well, let me tell you about Bob! He’s got an even record having fought 8 times in the QFC with tonight being his Sucker Punch debut. His success has been a bit mixed in those QFC fights, winning some and also losing some via (T)KO’s, with one sole win via decision…the first of his career.

Dame will be waiting for him tonight. Dame has a 3-1 record with his only loss coming in his last fight, his first here at Sucker Punch. His prior three wins were all QFC fights and won via a submission and two decisions. He has the better boxing in this matchup tonight, along with a purple belt in BJJ. His opponent, Bob, has the better wrestling, but appears to prefer to stand and bang!

Bob has a considerable height advantage here, standing 11 cm taller along with a 6 lb weight advantage. Will that help? Probably with the striking, that’s for sure. But if they end up on the ground, is Dame going to be able to get hold of one of those lanky limbs?

Donkey, how about it...?

Donkey’s Pick: Dame via Submission (Armbar)

This is going to be a match that shows who is who and which of these two are ready to start winning outside QFC fights! Unfortunately, Bob comes into this one with his morale less than ideal. I saw this as a fairly even match that could go either way and when that happens, I almost always lean towards the guy with better energy and morale. That’s going to be the way I go in this one also, expecting that Dame will get Bob on the ground and make one of those limbs turn in ways it shouldn’t!

Suzy caught up with Dame as he arrived at his hotel last night and was able to check in on how he’s feeling about the fight…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Rayne, it’s good to see you and you seem awfully fit and well prepared for this fight! Do you feel good about your chances in this one and bouncing back from your last fight?

Rayne Dame: I lost my last fight and I know the reason why. It’s because I underestimated John coz he's only 18 and I got too confident. That made me open my eyes, I'm not here to have fun, I'm here to punish my opponents and become Champ. As for my next opponent, wipe those canvas now boooy coz you're about to kiss those canvas clean.

Suzy Sucker Punch: Clearly the prior loss has not taken the feistiness out of Rayne! Win or lose, this is clearly one fighter who is ready to go!

Welterweight Undercard Bout #5

Chaz Campbell (3-1-0) vs. Tik Tok (3-2-0)

Up next as we start to get closer and closer to the top portion of our card we have a couple young lions who boast winning records to date! Each with three wins, Cambell has one loss to his name while Tik Tok has a pair.

Both of these men hold a blue belt in BJJ, with Campbell being the better boxer and Tok claiming the advantage in wrestling. Tok likes to combine those very focused skills for the ground game and turn that combination into a winning one by making his opponents tap out! He’s done it for all three of his wins with a variety of subs that include a kimura, guillotine and last but not least, rear naked choke. He is susceptible to being tagged for a KO in standup though, as his two losses both came on the feet and in less than two minutes.

That’s certainly something that Campbell is going to want to note…and potentially take advantage of with Tok. Campbell has a granite chin and has shown he can KO his opponents, having done it in two of his three wins. He has also surprisingly attempted to go to the ground in one of his prior fights, attempting subs from his back. In this one, that could definitely be a mistake as he’d be playing into Tok’s hands. He’ll most likely want to stay on the feet, and do as we discussed!

Donkey’s Pick: Campbell via KO (Punch)

It concerns me that when Tok has succumbed to the standup, it’s been pretty quick, relatively speaking. That makes me question the chin some. He’s shown himself to be quick and determined, but sometimes you need more. If he doesn’t get this one to the ground, it’s going to mean trouble I think. I’m calling this for Campbell, but there is definitely a path to victory here for Tok, he just has to make sure he doesn’t get tagged first!

Suzy Sucker Punch: A couple weeks after the first round of the Sorter Series, after the dust had settled and everybody had a chance to get back to the gyms and start training, I spoke with Tik Tok’s manager about the fight and the loss for Tok…he had this to say…

Tyson Hunt: Tok is a hard worker, he will come back stronger for sure.

Suzy Sucker Punch: In less than 24 hours now, we get to find out if Tyson Hunt has been able to keep his student focused and if Tok is ready to come in and show us his improvement since the last fight! I hope it’s a great one for the fans!

Welterweight CSS Round 2: #4 vs. #5

DJ Costune (2-0-0) vs. Sean MacCarthy (3-2-0)

As we head into the top of the card, we get to our first of four Sorter Series tournament bracket matches! These two young fighters are both vying to see if they can move on to the semi-finals and continue their quest for the tournament win, the belt and to be the first Welterweight champion for Sucker Punch!

Costune, the #4 seed in the tournament, defeated Kris Nedman in Round 1 by being extremely opportunistic and slapping on a brilliant armbar submission. In doing so, he proved by winning twice in a row that he could be successful in transitioning from pure grappling to MMA! He’s a well rounded 22 year old fighter, with respectable skills in almost all primary areas.

MacCarthy, Costune’s dance partner tonight, is a ground specialist as well and has won both with a submission and a TKO after some gnarly ground and pound! At 26 years old, he’s had a little more time training in MMA and may have the experience advantage to aid him. There is a very good chance this fight could come down to simply who wants it more and who can impose their will upon the other! I expect a chess match on the ground.

Donkey, you have a pick for us in this one…?

Donkey’s Pick: MacCarthy via Submission (Kimura)

What I love about this one is the matchup of similar skills which means we’re going to find out who truly is the better in those areas, at least to as of this point in their training. What I don’t like about this one is that both are coming in less than fully into the fight mentally, with both being somewhat lacking on the morale front. Your guess is as good as mine on who might prevail this evening, but for me, I’ll go ahead and take the slightly older and more experience fighter in this one.

Welterweight CSS Round 2: #11 vs. #14

Andrey Nikonov (2-1-0) vs. John Fuller (1-0-0)

Our next bout of the evening will feature our second contest between those still in the Sorter Series! Nikonov came in as the #11 seed of the tournament and managed an upset over Hugh Saber in Round 1. Likewise, Fuller also managed a HUGE upset of his own, taking out the third overall seed in Rayne Dame! That one was truly a surprise that got the fans riled up the last time we saw the Welterweights fight!

You don’t get a much more balanced fight than this, across the board! Nikonov has the very slightest edge in MT and wrestling, and a 2 year age advantage. That’s it. So we’re really going to see a battle of game plans, a test of will and ability to adjust on the fly!

In Fuller’s only fight, and a win at that, he used some serious ability to abuse his opponent on the ground to win. This time, he’ll be facing another warrior who also doesn’t mind having the fight go to the ground, and also doesn’t mind dishing out some pain once there! Could this turn into a contest of who can gain position and exert their dominance on the ground?

Donkey, how bout it, what’s your call…?

Donkey’s Pick: Nikonov via TKO (Strikes)

This will be a great contest and I can’t wait for it! Both of these men come in with full gas tanks, full of confidence…oh yeah, that’s what I’m talking about! I’m not saying this is going to be an all out, drawn out war. It could end quickly with a BOOM! But I do know whether short and sweet or for the distance, this one is going to be a fun one to watch and should establish who gets ranked where in relation to each other and other ground artists! It will also tell us which of these guys REALLY wants to potentially be our first champ!

Suzy was able to catch both fighters earlier this morning at the hotel breakfast, which had to be a bit acco-taco with both of them in the same place at the same time!...

Suzy Sucker Punch: Hi Andrey, that looks great! Did you make those waffles yourself at the little machine they have over there? Do they even have waffles in Russia back home? Um, anyway, how are you feeling today before the fight coming up against John Fuller?

Andrey Nikonov: Fuller is an all around mixed martial artist like myself. Fighters like us are the future of the sport. I am prepared for anything my opponent brings and I will prevail because I fight for Mother Russia.

(Yamashita Craven, John Fuller’s manager, jumps in and steals the mic as Suzy turns towards him in shock! )

Yamashita Craven: Andrey Nikonov has only fought one decent fighter in his career, and he lost that fight. His 2 wins are against losers, and he's a one trick pony, only fighting in the clinch/on the mat. My boy John Fuller is going to kick his ass and move on in this tourney!

Suzy Sucker Punch (still a little shocked and flustered): Well, I guess we’re going to settle this in the cage, and see if Mr. Craven’s fighter can live up to his words!

Welterweight CSS Round 2: #2 vs. #10

Malachi Routerhead vs. Pietro Marchionni (2-0-0)

Our last undercard fight of the night, this one will feature one of the favorites to potentially become a finalist…and maybe even win the whole darn thing! But before that happens…or doesn’t, Routerhead is going to have to maintain focus, because Marchionni no doubt wants to test him and have something to say about whether he moves on or not!

Not going to lie here, Marchionni is the underdog in this one and will need to bring his ‘A’ game and find a creative way to take out Routerhead if he wants to move on. He has the advantage in boxing, but it’s only a slight one with feeble versus useless. The same with a very, very sliver of advantage in wrestling.

Routerhead however has a distinct advantage in MT and Jiu Jitsu. And a granite chin. But despite that granite chin, he has shown himself to be susceptible to a KO or TKO, having lost two fights in the QFC that way prior to joining us here at Sucker Punch. His win in the first round of our Sorter Series came via a TKO in standup after he clinched up and delivered some punishment to finish it in the second round of the fight.

Here’s where it gets interesting though…while on paper Marchionni appears to be at a disadvantage, the truth is this man is no joke! He likes to take you down, and he likes to make you wish you’d never stepped into the cage with him as he unleashes a torrent of pain! So the question will be, are his skills good enough to get to Routerhead, and if he can, will Routerhead potentially fold under some nasty shots? I have a feeling we might find out!

Donkey, what do you have…?

Donkey’s Pick: Routerhead via TKO (Strikes)

You have no idea how tempted I was to take the upset on this one. But I’m a bit of a guy who goes by the trends and stats. Marchionni has a lot going for him, but the skills just may not be far enough along…yet. But I will say this, if he can pull this upset off…the place will lose its collective mind! Routerhead is the #2 seed for a reason, but you always have to earn the ability to keep that spot! And he’s going to have to stay focused tonight, these two gentlemen are BOTH dangerous!

Co-Main Event

Welterweight Main Card Event

Rebel Sith (6-0-0) vs. LetsAG DAFight (0-4-0)

And here we are, our Co-Main Event of the evening! This one is not part of the Sorter Series, but sneaks in here due to the hype associated with a man who is 6-0 in his career so far with Rebel Sith! His opponent, DAFight, is 0-4, a record in stark contrast to Sith’s. Does that mean that Sith can take this one lightly? Not if he wants to walk away with that perfect record intact, let me tell you that!

DAFight is a boxer, plain and simple. Not much more to say on that, and he will have the boxing advantage in this one. He also went toe to toe with one of the favorites in our Sorter Series, Malachi Routerhead, for an entire inning before succumbing in the second round. There is something big to be said for that given Routerhead’s skillset.

Sith has the advantage in MT and wrestling. There is no doubt he’s going to want to clinch up, get in nice and close, and dish out the abuse! But he can, and has, dished it out while separated as well. His last two fights, one in QFC and the other after joining HFC, allowed him to show just what he could do in the clinch after both opponents were foolish enough to take it there for him. You have to love when the opponent decides to just walk right into your house, straight to the kitchen, and then hops into the fire on their own!

What do you think about this one…?

Donkey’s Pick: Sith via TKO (Strikes)

DAFight is the underdog in this one, but also has a chance to fight just the way he wants, in standup. Can he impose his will and come up with a winning strategy? Aggression and accuracy maybe? Or does he come out and try to go for the big ole counter to KO his opponent? Whatever he decides, he’s going to have to depend upon some good defense as well, because Sith will make him pay, and pay dearly, if the strategy isn’t right. And possibly even if it is.

Suzy actually ran across Rebel Sith as he came in at the airport over the weekend and shared a cab ride back with him…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Rebel, some are calling you the clear favorite in the fight with LetsAG DAFight this week. At the same time, DAFight does have a standup component to his arsenal and naturally, there’s always a punchers chance, wouldn’t you say?

Rebel Sith: DAFight is going to feel the power of the dark side. I promise I will show my might and end DAFight in the first round. Tell him to leave his counting sheep at home, no need, but he may want to bring a pillow and a wheel chair for the post fight. I will be nice though and only low blow or nipple twist him in the clinch.

Suzy Sucker Punch: Well Donkey, it sounds like Hare might be one of the happiest people on the planet after this match if Rebel has his way! You know he likes the dirty stuff out there in the cage! If I were DAFight though, I think I’d consider a cup and some tape over those nips!

Main Event

Welterweight CSS Round 2: #1 vs. #8

Igor Vovchanchyn (1-1-0) vs. Ronnie Bass (4-0-0)

Welcommmmme to our Maaaainnnn Event folks!!! And get ready for some fireworks, because these two boys can definitely bring them!

Ronnie Bass comes into this one no doubt with a chip on his shoulder I’d think! He is the one with the 4-0 record, yet he’s considered the underdog as the #8 seed! He is fully locked and loaded or this one, with his energy at full capacity and his morale on high! His manager has led this young man to four victories so far, all via KO or TKO…and all but one ending in under a minute! The last, over Tik Tok, in just 20 seconds. Needless to say, he has KO power, has shown it in the tale of the tape, and more importantly, has shown it time after time in the cage. He likes to clinch up, dance real close under the moonlight, and lightly caress his dance partner. Well, perhaps caress isn’t the right word…and neither is lightly!

Across the cage will be none other than the #1 seed in this tournament. And despite having a 1-1 record, you better respect what you face when you step into the ring with this man. His skills are not a joke, and he proved that to Thanos Reigns the last time he stepped into the cage with a KO that earned him KO of the Night honors. Both men have Muy Thai skills, with Vov having the very slight advantage in boxing and wrestling. And a much bigger advantage in BJJ.

Honestly though Donkey, I don’t expect this one to go to the ground, at least, not until one of these boys gets dropped.

Do you agree…?

Donkey’s Pick: Vovchanchyn via TKO (Strikes)

It will be a war. Perhaps drawn out, but very likely not. But this one is going to mean pain, and perhaps smelling salts, for one of these boys! I’m taking the favorite out of respect for the seed. But honestly, this could go either way depending upon how the strikes fall…and going forward, win or lose, I think we have to look for big things from both of these talented fighters!

Suzy caught up with Igor over the weekend and he was kind enough to give her a few moments of his time…

Suzy Sucker Punch: Igor, thank you for your time on such a busy and important week! A huge fight in the second round of the Sorter Series coming up this week for you. As the number one seed, do you feel any pressure, more than you think you would normally feel?

Igor Vovchanchyn: Bass has been very impressive so far, but he hasn’t faced adversity yet. No disrespect but he has been doing what any average fighter should do, clean out the guys who will only fight 4-5 fights and retire. 1st round KO's are impressive in the minors, but there are levels to this and need to be good everywhere and deal with adversity. Hopefully he is ready to jump a few levels here for the fans. He will have to as I am the real deal and here for a long time!

Suzy Sucker Punch: Hare and Donkey, we have a very confident Igor Vovchanchyn on our hands this week for the upcoming fight with Ronnie Bass. Confident…or overconfident maybe? If you have the skills and can back it up, then there is no such thing as overconfidence I guess! And he seems ready.

And there you have it fans, our Welterweights are ready to get out there and unleash hell upon each other, and by the amount of back and forth, this is going to be one very energetic and crazy evening! If the attitude they're bringing to the table in the interviews carries over into the fights, these ones could get very, very interesting! Hand on to your shorts folks, they're coming at you this evening, don't miss it!

Till next time folks…

• Upvote 3

Suzy Sucker Punch: Hi Andrey, that looks great! Did you make those waffles yourself at the little machine they have over there? Do they even have waffles in Russia back home? Um, anyway, how are you feeling today before the fight coming up against John Fuller?

We know nothing of such thing as a waffle. There is no such nonsense in Russian Federeation.

• Upvote 2

Donkey’s Pick: Vovchanchyn via TKO (Strikes)

Swing, and a miss!

Does this mean Bass was ready to step up a few levels, PJ? Thanks for the respect, and great fight. Your boy is skilled, for sure. I have a feeling they are both here to stay and will one day see each other again.

Well done mate, great KO, your boy is looking good

• Upvote 1

Just a heads up folks...we lost power at work yesterday due to some storms and I was on site till 3 am bringing things back online. Back at work this morning on 2 hours sleep, so a little behind on the review from Wednesday's card. I WILL get this done, no excuses, but it may take until tomorrow morning once I've had some sleep finally. Hang in there folks! And thank you so much to our managers for everything!