Useful Skill/Training Info

jbrookins

Sticky Y/N?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should this post be sticky'd?

SKILLS OVERVIEW

Each fighter skill is actually a value between 0-150, but with be given a descriptive word via the following chart:

* Useless (0-9.99)

* Abysmal (10-19.99)

* Woeful (20-29.99)

* Feeble (30-39.99)

* Mediocre (40-49.99)

* Competent (50-59.99)

* Respectable (60-69.99)

* Proficient (70-79.99)

* Strong (80-89.99)

* Superb (90-99.99)

* Remarkable (100-109.99)

* Wonderful (110-119.99)

* Exceptional (120-129.99)

* Sensational (130-139.99)

* Elite (140-150)

PRIMARY SKILLS:

Primary Skills are considered your "Knowledge" of the 4 main disciplines. Every skill you have will be affected by one of the Primary skills. For instance, if you throw a punch, it will take into account your "Punching" secondary skill along with your "Boxing" Primary skill. Every secondary skill is tied to one (or multiple) Primary skills

# Boxing - Affects the punching aspects of striking, including in the clinch.

# Muay Thai - Affects both standup (Kicks, Knees, Elbows) and all aspects of clinch striking and control.

# Wrestling - Has an effect on all aspects of grappling, whilst standing, in the clinch and on the ground.

# BJJ - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu relates almost entirely to the ground game. It also plays a part in how well someone can pull guard.

SECONDARY SKILLS:

Secondary skills are your given skillset in any particular area, and have a direct impact on that particular action.

* Punches - Both standing and in the clinch (but not on the ground)- Afftected by: BOXING

* Kicks - Standing only. - Affected by: MUAY THAI

* Standing elbows - Clinch only. - Affected by: MUAY THAI

* Knees - Both standing and in the clinch. - Affected by: MUAY THAI

* Clinchwork - An overall value. Consider it almost a clinch awareness and experience value, both offensive and defensive. - Affected by: MUAY THAI, BOXING, WRESTLING

* Striking defense - Both standing and in the clinch. - Affected by: MUAY THAI, BOXING

* Takedowns - Both standing and in the clinch. - Affected by: WRESTLING

* Takedown defense - Both standing and in the clinch. - Affected by: WRESTLING

* Ground n pound - Groundwork only. - Affected by: WRESTLING, BJJ

* Sub offense - Groundwork only. - Affected by: BJJ, slightly by WRESTLING

* Defensive grappling - Groundwork only. Consider it both sub defense and also positional defense. - Affected by: BJJ, WRESTLING

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES:

All physical attributes have an effect in some aspects of standing, clinchwork and groundwork. Not all attributes will affect all types of move. Below I have given one type of move which is particularly affected by each attribute.

* Agility - Standup and ground striking, strike defense,

* Flexibility - Head kicks, knees, submissions and submission defense

* Speed - Shoot takedowns, clinching, quickness of strikes, quickness of counterstrikes

* Strength - Clinch control, ground control, punching power

* Conditioning - Recovery throughout the fight. also important for energy recovery in training

* Balance - Takedown defense, controlling clinch, controlling mount, avoiding sweeps

* Height - Taller people have a reach advantage n the standup position, but are easier to take down and easier to sub because of their lanky limbs.

* Weight - Heavier people will have naturally more power, will tire more quickly, will be able to maintain control more easily in certain situations.

* Energy - Varies greatly through time - consider it on a basic level to be like tiredness.

* Morale - Affects your ability to train and fight effectively. A miserable fighter is not a motivated fighter.

PRIMARY SKILLS TRAINING:

SPARRING is used to raise Primary Skills, and gives a slight raise to correpsonding secondary skills as well. The better your training partners the more you will improve. If nobody else turns up, you won't get any training.

Boxing sparring

Trains your overall boxing rating and any peripheral benefits. You will spar with other fighters who are signed up to boxing sparring during this time slot.

Muay Thai sparring

Trains your overall Muay Thai rating and any peripheral benefits. You will spar with other fighters who are signed up to Muay Thai sparring during this time slot.

Wrestling drills

Trains your overall wrestling rating and any peripheral benefits. You will grapple with other fighters who are signed up to wrestling drills during this time slot.

Submission grappling

Trains your overall BJJ rating and any peripheral benefits. You will grapple with other fighters who are signed up to submission grappling during this time slot.

SECONDARY SKILLS TRAINING:

All secondary Skills are trained by coaches hired by the Gym. You can see a schedule of the sessions for each coach on the gym page. Coaching sessions are vital to your training and needed to really get skilled at specific abilities. Because of this, coaches are a very expensive resource.

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES TRAINING:

Circuit training

This is an all-around strength and cardio session held by a specialized fitness coach. This type of training boosts all of your physical attributes. This is a fantastic training session to use, and pretty much every fighter should start with a standard 20 or so CT sessions to get their physicals rounded out to fight early. you can NEVER go wrong with Circuit Training

Weights

Work on your strength in the weights room. Also get a slight boost to your speed by building up your muscle fibres. A very tiring workout.

Yoga

Work on your fighters flexibility, agility and balance. A low energy workout carried out without the assistance of any trainer.

Cardio

Get your ass on the treadmill and start running. The quickest way to improve your conditioning but also very tiring in the short term.

- - - - -

Good Luck Training,

Jonathan :showoff:

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

• 11 months later...

JBrookins thanks for doing this man. I couldn't figure out how to raise the Primary skill of my fighter in Boxing and now i get it. I really appreciate this because to be honest i couldn't find it in the Wiki page. Thanks again bro!

~BrotherHec

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How often should you spar?

Never spar back-to-back sessions because it will diminish your gains.

So for example, if you're sparring Monday AM, then the next time you can spar without diminishing returns is Tuesday AM.

Sometimes I have sparred back-to-back to avoid ticker decay ;( but if you do it too often, your fighter will message you complaining about too much sparring!

• 7 months later...

i have a question, is it better to have a Circuit/sparring training with more or less training partners?

i know that my ground and pound and BJJ have more effective train via 1 or 2 others in the group, is that overall or just for sub-categories

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...