Theatre of the Mind

Do fighter backgrounds, role playing a character, etc. matter to you when playing this game?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do fighter backgrounds, fighter character development, role playing a character, etc. make the game more enjoyable to play?

Hi everyone! This thread is going to be kind of all over the place so you've been warned lol

I started playing the game about 4 years ago as it seemed it was a combination of two of my favorite things: MMA & Table Top Role-playing games (i.e. Dungeons & Dragons). In real life, neither world of my friends/acquaintances/training partners had any interest in the other so when i found the game I was ecstatic! That being said, I wanted to see what the general consensus was as far as the importance of making character's backstories, smack talk between fighters, in-game MMATycoon lore, Buzz, etc was. Personally, that's the element that keeps me playing. After fights, I love reading the fight commentary, win or lose (although it's nice when you get that W!), of an interesting fight especially when it's of two fighters that have unique avatars & backstories to accompany them. Even orgs/companies can have a personality such as SYN & GAMMA (which in my mind i see as the UFC & Bellator of the Tycoon universe; neither in any particular order), BFF with it's well done Japanese MMA aesthetic, Sully's Bar & Grill, & the list goes on. However, I have noticed some people don't really care about that stuff & play it purely as a numbers game (which is fine to each their own) but when I see that i'm going up against a fighter without an avatar & no back story with a real life fighter's name it's kind of a bummer. Now don't get me wrong I own a private gym so I can't claim how non-competitive i am to a degree butttt I don't do test fights, I keep the same fighters I make (looking at my history now I've let go 14 fighters in 4 years idk if that's a lot compared to some people, never asked), & don't have the most meta builds around (some guys I do just to see how it play's but some of the more competitive players would straight up laugh at how some of my guys are set up lol). Just an FYI that last comment was not a sleight on anyone who does that as i'm definitely the minority when it comes to that stuff. In the end, it doesn't really matter how you like to play the game really as long as your having a good time!

Oh, & one more thing while I still have the classes attention, don't let em tell you ya can't get a fighter to the top of a weight class with a "Is Very Popular" because i've done it! :smile_anim:

• Upvote 6

Yes, and no.

I used to be a real pain in the ass when it came to retarded fighter names like Chuck Liddell, FannyPack SissyPants, Crotch Grabber or whatever stupid ass name people come up with. I enjoy the character creation/customization aspect of mmatycoon, even if outside the surface it's incredibly bland it does give the "Role Players" a platform to utilize it through forums, buzz, tycoon-times, fighter bio.

btw I've released like 14 fighters in last 2 or 3 days. It'd be nice to have a clean list but my released fighters page is overly long. I'd guess hundreds.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely! It adds a whole new element to the game. I think Im one of the few guys that still utilizes the Interviews subforum, and ive probably read most of the posts in it.

While I do have a tendency to keep cans that have a backstory, I do end up cutting a lot of fighters. My slider skills arent good enough to justify keeping someone with average hiddens.

for me it`s a must.

From Emelianegro actually getting married to Jose Canseco in the cage to Trump beating for me most part mexicans and taking that Bukkake belt to Skrap to Caytlin Jenner having a rocky 1 year relationship to Carter Jose de la Cus it makes the game so much more fun.

My favorite part is playing dress up with some of my guys, Humors even gets to show his peepee on title fights.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6