Hiddens & You

Erik

Note: The creation bonus checkbox only adds +30 to the hidden in question, hiddens are random out of 150.

Intelligence

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Knows how to adapt his gameplan

Benefits: A more intelligent fighter knows when to press for a finish, can use the 'See How It Goes' slider to much better effect and will better on the ground.

Recommendation: A must have for ground fighters, has its uses for stand up fighters and well rounded guys but is less essential.

Experience

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Comes in with an extensive amateur record

Benefits: A more experienced fighter is like an intelligent fighter though it doesn't seem to have the ground game benefits; Experience is also gained through fighting.

Recommendation: As this one can be improved by fighting it seems a little pointless to select it, especially if you're thinking long term.

Heart

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Has a big heart

Benefits: Fighters with a big heart are harder to finish and become increasingly dangerous as they take damage; by the same token those with small hearts tend to fold more easily.

Recommendation: Two words, Bubba Killsinwater (ok, technically more than 2), just look at the Bokhari and War Machine fights to see why big heart is one of the strongest hiddens in the game. This is one not to leave home without.

Granite Chin

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Has a granite chin

Benefits: Makes your fighter more difficult to KO.

Recommendation: The thing with granite chin is that without big heart it doesn't actually seem to work like a real life granite chin (especially for Heavyweights), a little over half the top 10 heavyweights in the game showed this in ToTT early in their careers but it's hard to say if that's why they're in the top 10 - Chin gets the top spot in the ToTT Hierarchy and the majority of managers tend to select this one.

Injury Resistance

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Never gets injured

Benefits: Your fighter will not get injured as often, allowing them to take more fights not only due to being fit, but also long term as they can fight more before their injuries catch up to them and cause their skills to decay.

Recommendation: As Neil Young once put it; it's better to burn out than to fade away, skip this and go for something that will help mid fight.

Confidence

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Is very self confident

Benefits: A confident fighter will tend towards moving forward, low confidence tends to cause fighters to stop attacking under adversity and turn into a punching bag.

Recommendation: There are very few top fighters (especially strikers) with poor confidence, it's necessary for a top striker and can help grapplers too. The downside is you only have 3 options with the checkboxes and that means that if you want this you have to give up either granite chin, ko power or intelligence.

Cut Resistance

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Doesn't cut easily

Benefits: Cut Resistance lowers the ease at which your fighter cuts; low resistance tends to end in fighters with lots of cut losses against decent competition.

Recommendation: While important, this is one I'd skip (despite the fact that cutting utterly kills some fighters).. just try and keep your guy away from the clinch if he has cut tendencies.

Learning Speed

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Is a fast learner

Benefits: A faster learner will be a better skilled fighter in terms of primaries/secondaries given equal training.

Recommendation: The thing with fast learner is it can easily be checked very early on in a fighters lifespan without risk - if it's really horrible you can just cut the fighter having only lost a couple of weeks or so.

Knock-out Power

Creation Bonus Checkbox: Has natural KO power

Benefits: Causes the fighter to have more powerful strikes.

Recommendation: For a striker, this is pretty much a must have, KO Power is often the difference between winning and losing the striking battle.

Popularity

Creation Bonus Checkbox: He is a popular fighter

Benefits: Fighter is more popular and gains popularity more easily.

Recommendation: No.

Some options.. in some vague order of how risky they are.

Striker: Granite Chin, KO Power, Pick one of (Big Heart, Confidence)

- This is for a pure striker, power to finish fights, chin to take a battering and heart or confidence to keep him in the game when he's losing - I think most tend to lean towards Confidence.

Grappler: Intelligence, Big Heart, Granite Chin

- Grapplers need to be intelligent and able to withstand a beating on the feet, there is pretty much no reason you'd want to substitute out any of these hiddens for a grappling oriented fighter. The lack of confidence has potential to be an absolute bitch though.

Well Rounded: Big Heart, Granite Chin, Pick one of (Confidence, Intelligence, KO Power)

- I like Intelligence for this build as it makes our well rounded fighter a lot less risky on the ground and gives him a bit more finishing power; Confidence is good to prevent him turning into a punching bag and KO Power is good if you go more towards ground and pound than submissions - all 3 are viable options.

The "See How It Goes" Fighter: Big Heart, Confidence, Intelligence

- If you make a fairly well rounded fighter this can work reasonably (assuming his jaw isn't glass), you can just set the See How It Goes slider to the right and (hopefully) enjoy some carnage, especially later in the fighters career once he has some experience.

The Gambler: Confidence, Intelligence, KO Power

- This guy is built to finish fights, on the downside he'll probably end up with at least one utterly shitty defensive hidden and be prone to losing fights either by getting knocked out or cut but on the bright side at least he'll probably go out on his shield and will pretty much always be a threat.

The Brick Wall: Granite Chin, Big Heart, Cut Resistance

- Extremely hard to finish on the feet, which for all its value may end up being worthless if your fighter has no confidence or gets taken down and has poor intelligence; with average other hiddens this build would be very hard to beat, but with low confidence or intelligence your fighter could turn into a punching bag on the feet or get submitted easily on the ground.

• Upvote 10

Note: The creation bonus checkbox only adds +30 to the hidden in question, hiddens are random out of 150.

Intelligence

Benefits: A more intelligent fighter knows when to press for a finish, can use the 'See How It Goes' slider to much better effect and will better on the ground.

Recommendation: A must have for ground fighters, has its uses for stand up fighters and well rounded guys but is less essential.

Experience

Benefits: A more experienced fighter is like an intelligent fighter though it doesn't seem to have the ground game benefits; Experience is also gained through fighting.

Recommendation: As this one can be improved by fighting it seems a little pointless to select it, especially if you're thinking long term.

Heart

Benefits: Fighters with a big heart are harder to finish and become increasingly dangerous as they take damage; by the same token those with small hearts tend to fold more easily.

Recommendation: Two words, Bubba Killsinwater (ok, technically more than 2), just look at the Bokhari and War Machine fights to see why big heart is one of the strongest hiddens in the game. This is one not to leave home without.

Granite Chin

Recommendation: The thing with granite chin is that without big heart it doesn't actually seem to work like a real life granite chin (especially for Heavyweights), a little over half the top 10 heavyweights in the game showed this in ToTT early in their careers but it's hard to say if that's why they're in the top 10 - Chin gets the top spot in the ToTT Hierarchy and the majority of managers tend to select this one.

Injury Resistance

Benefits: Your fighter will not get injured as often, allowing them to take more fights not only due to being fit, but also long term as they can fight more before their injuries catch up to them and cause their skills to decay.

Recommendation: As Neil Young once put it; it's better to burn out than to fade away, skip this and go for something that will help mid fight.

Confidence

Benefits: A confident fighter will tend towards moving forward, low confidence tends to cause fighters to stop attacking under adversity and turn into a punching bag.

Recommendation: There are very few top fighters (especially strikers) with poor confidence, it's necessary for a top striker and can help grapplers too. The downside is you only have 3 options with the checkboxes and that means that if you want this you have to give up either granite chin, ko power or intelligence.

Cut Resistance

Benefits: Cut Resistance lowers the ease at which your fighter cuts; low resistance tends to end in fighters with lots of cut losses against decent competition.

Recommendation: While important, this is one I'd skip (despite the fact that cutting utterly kills some fighters).. just try and keep your guy away from the clinch if he has cut tendencies.

Learning Speed

Benefits: A faster learner will be a better skilled fighter in terms of primaries/secondaries given equal training.

Recommendation: The thing with fast learner is it can easily be checked very early on in a fighters lifespan without risk - if it's really horrible you can just cut the fighter having only lost a couple of weeks or so.

Knock-out Power

Recommendation: For a striker, this is pretty much a must have, KO Power is often the difference between winning and losing the striking battle.

Popularity

Some options.. in some vague order of how risky they are.

Striker: Granite Chin, KO Power, Pick one of (Big Heart, Confidence)

- This is for a pure striker, power to finish fights, chin to take a battering and heart or confidence to keep him in the game when he's losing - I think most tend to lean towards Confidence.

Grappler: Intelligence, Big Heart, Granite Chin

- Grapplers need to be intelligent and able to withstand a beating on the feet, there is pretty much no reason you'd want to substitute out any of these hiddens for a grappling oriented fighter. The lack of confidence has potential to be an absolute bitch though.

Well Rounded: Big Heart, Granite Chin, Pick one of (Confidence, Intelligence, KO Power)

- I like Intelligence for this build as it makes our well rounded fighter a lot less risky on the ground and gives him a bit more finishing power; Confidence is good to prevent him turning into a punching bag and KO Power is good if you go more towards ground and pound than submissions - all 3 are viable options.

The "See How It Goes" Fighter: Big Heart, Confidence, Intelligence

- If you make a fairly well rounded fighter this can work reasonably (assuming his jaw isn't glass), you can just set the See How It Goes slider to the right and (hopefully) enjoy some carnage, especially later in the fighters career once he has some experience.

The Gambler: Confidence, Intelligence, KO Power

- This guy is built to finish fights, on the downside he'll probably end up with at least one utterly shitty defensive hidden and be prone to losing fights either by getting knocked out or cut but on the bright side at least he'll probably go out on his shield and will pretty much always be a threat.

The Brick Wall: Granite Chin, Big Heart, Cut Resistance

- Extremely hard to finish on the feet, which for all its value may end up being worthless if your fighter has no confidence or gets taken down and has poor intelligence; with average other hiddens this build would be very hard to beat, but with low confidence or intelligence your fighter could turn into a punching bag on the feet or get submitted easily on the ground.

good work erik, though the brick wall one, i would change out cut resistance for confidence, i have a fighter currently on my roster who has granite chin, heart, confidence, never been closed to being finished (although he has been cut 4 times) and has been on the wrong end of some brutal beat downs, but thats just my opinion. Everything else is essentially the same as what i do when i create fighters

good work erik, though the brick wall one, i would change out cut resistance for confidence, i have a fighter currently on my roster who has granite chin, heart, confidence, never been closed to being finished (although he has been cut 4 times) and has been on the wrong end of some brutal beat downs, but thats just my opinion. Everything else is essentially the same as what i do when i create fighters

Yeah, I'd probably never use the Brick Wall due to the "potential to turn into a punchbag with no finishing power" scenario (thus why it's at the bottom) -- the heart/chin/confidence is a good option for a well rounded fighter and I have it listed as such (even if I'd be unlikely to use it myself; Intelligence is mandatory for grappling imo).

Yeah, I'd probably never use the Brick Wall due to the "potential to turn into a punchbag with no finishing power" scenario (thus why it's at the bottom) -- the heart/chin/confidence is a good option for a well rounded fighter and I have it listed as such (even if I'd be unlikely to use it myself; Intelligence is mandatory for grappling imo).

i never select it, it just happened lmao. basically what i use is chin ko power heart for strikers and chin heart and intelligence for grapplers. and ive always said that intelligence is a ground fighters KO power

• 1 month later...

Intelligence

Experience

Heart

Granite Chin

Injury Resistance

Confidence

Cut Resistance

Learning Speed

Knock-out Power

Popularity

Intelligence is criminally underrated for strikers too. Without intelligence they seem to underperform and of course it's a major part of actually getting finishes.

Pretty sure experience works exactly like intelligence, and exists to offset arguably the single most powerful hidden (which it would be if not for experience covering part of its territory).

Heart, injury, confidence, cuts (though you should be more conservative on the bottom too if you bleed due to GnP being horribly powerful from certain positions), learning and chin is spot on.

KO Power also seems to factor into how many points you score standing (seeing as it's tied to a damage calculation somehow). Finishing fights also has the benefit of giving you way more training time and popularity.

lol popular fighter.

Great job, just saw a few things I didn't agree 100% on.

• 3 months later...

Popularity

Great overall post Erik. I just thought I'd make a quick case for Popularity since it is easily the least popular and most maligned hidden available. When I was starting in this game I didn't really have a clue and was struggling for money. The only thing that kept me going was that I had a guy who I'd made 'Popular' - he was always in high demand from orgs and got good contract offers, presumably because high popularity fighters boost the revenue and rating of an event. As it turned out he was an average fighter, but without him and the income I got through him, I probably wouldn't have survived in the game.

For anyone who has money popularity is useless, but for someone new starting out in the game it can seal you the first decent paying contract which can bankroll your other, 'better built' fighters.

Great overall post Erik. I just thought I'd make a quick case for Popularity since it is easily the least popular and most maligned hidden available. When I was starting in this game I didn't really have a clue and was struggling for money. The only thing that kept me going was that I had a guy who I'd made 'Popular' - he was always in high demand from orgs and got good contract offers, presumably because high popularity fighters boost the revenue and rating of an event. As it turned out he was an average fighter, but without him and the income I got through him, I probably wouldn't have survived in the game.

For anyone who has money popularity is useless, but for someone new starting out in the game it can seal you the first decent paying contract which can bankroll your other, 'better built' fighters.

See I somewhat understand, but you'll get just as much pop from an average pop guy who scores a bunch of KO finishes.

See I somewhat understand, but you'll get just as much pop from an average pop guy who scores a bunch of KO finishes.

True, but in the beginning when you don´t know a thing about sliders it´s tough to get those KO wins!

Seriously though, I wouldn´t recommend anyone pick popularity unless it was a last ditch attempt to get some money coming in. I just wanted to put forward a case for it since no one else ever has.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...