Which UFC fighter had the worst downfall?

sterling69

The worst downfalls in UFC history

Its tough for me to pick. My pick would either be Conor Mcgregor or War Machine. (summary at bottom)

War Machine beat up his wife and was jailed for 36 years. But not many people knew who he was, and he wasn't that successful in MMA so its not a massive fall from grace compared to Conor Mcgregor.

Now, lets look at Conor Mcgregor's downfall.

His rise to the top was simply incredible. Dominated the FW divisiom, beating Max Halloway, Chad Mendes, Dustin Porier etc and then dethroning the unbeaten FW king Jose Aldo in a record breaking 13 seconds. Then he moves on to fight Nate Diaz, and lost, but he came back and won a 5 round war.

Then he does the unthinkable and moves up to LW to destroy Eddie Alvarez in an effortless flawless performance. He became the first two weight champion simultaneously in the sports history.

Now comes the downfall. He challenges an unbeaten 49-0 Floyd Mayweather at his own sport, with a 0-0 record. Not smart. It was the second biggest fight in combat sports history, and he was dominated and humiliated. But then again, not many expected him to win a boxing match against one of the GOATS.

Then he throws a dolly at a bus, and causes worldwide outrage and court cases. He is now viewed as a criminal who breaks the law. Luckily, no jail time was served.

Finally, the ultimate downfall and possibly nail in the coffin. The biggest mistake of his life, facing unbeaten Russian champion Khabib wo was 26-0 at the time, after a two year lay off.It was the biggest fight in UFC history, and was also the biggest HUMILIATION in UFC history. He was outstruck, outgrappled, knocked down, picked up and slammed to the ground, pounded in the face for over 30 seconds, and then choked out in the 4th. To make things worst, his team mates were also assaulted, and two of Khabibs cornermen jumped the cage to attack Conor.

Conor went from being a potential GOAT, to an overrated tapper who cannot wrestle. He was stripped of two belts, lost his two biggest fights of his career, arrested and went to court etc.

I can't think of a bigger downfall for any athlete, let alone a UFC fighter. what do you guys think? Who had the biggest downfall in UFC history?

Summary

-Conor Mcgregor has the worst downfall in UFC history

-Become first double champ, destroying 2 champions with ease

-Loses biggest fight of his career against Floyd

-Attacks a bus and gets arrested

-Gets destroyed by Khabib in the biggest fight in history (2.5 million PPV buys)

-Stripped of two belts. Became emasculated. Became a laughing stock etc

Conor McGregor's "downfall" is simply a (rather embarrassing) loss to Khabib, and he could still come back right now and get more PPV buys than any other fighter. It's hard to call it a downfall when he is still disgustingly rich and the most popular fighter in the UFC. Rousey's fall from grace was far worse, as she lost her title and comeback fight with brutal one-sided fights - although she has redeemed herself with whatever she is doing in WWE at the moment.

Like Erik said, Johny Hendricks has had a terrible time since "losing" to GSP, and is definitely one of the front-runners for biggest downfall.

B.J Penn went from being one of the best fighters in the world to this:

vR20MKw.png

Takanori Gomi, Bigfoot Silva, Tim Sylvia, Ken Shamrock, Mark Kerr, Krazy horse* (although he never reached the top), and many others had far worse downfalls than McGregor, and it is simply not comparable.

*his recent record

3pqHg6e.png

• Upvote 1

Conor McGregor? Naaaaah ..... he lost against one of the best boxers this side of the year 2000. In a fight, where hardly anybody gave him a chance to begin with. Then he lost against a guy, who is unbeaten WELL into his MMA career and one of the best grapplers in the history of the sport.

I think McGregor just got complaicant. He is filthy rich now and is seeking other options. Remember how he said, that he doesn't "need to be here" in the presser with Khabib? Compare that with the old McGregor, who was confident to a fault and always very present in these situations, absoloutely on top of the ongoing conversations about his next fight and /or opponent. Says a lot about where his mind is. Even Kavanagh publically advised him to hang 'em up. McGregor has no desire to compete anymore. It's obvious.

How about Mark Kerr. His decline was tough to watch.

• Upvote 1

I see what you mean, but I always found Bob Sapp to be too much of a show act. If anything, competitive reality caught up with him. Also, he seems to be very willing to fight local heros and play the big, black villain coming over to lose. So I genuinely wander about how legit some of his losses are.

Same here but I remember people actually falling for his WWE type hype back in the early 2000's. He

What about Nick Diaz, who chose to loiter away what might have been his physical prime and best earning years? Certainly not the biggest downfall, but a pityful one nonetheless. Oh, and losing his last three straight (or two, if we consider the NC), means he hasn't won against anybody since 2011. That is just fucking tragic! He is like the ultimate "almost man" of MMA.

Also a legitimate fighter who had a lot of potential but just fell off was Roger Huerta started out 20-1 then hit a rough spot going 2-8 in his next ten fights.

my call there -- ufc put so much into him building the hype and it fell flat on his face and then cant even win outside the org in low talent orgs

Renan Barao 100% - went from top 3 P4P in the world and anyone could beat him nowadays

Definitely a big one. He was still in the prime of his career when he lost to TJ and hasn't had a crazy injury that I can recall. This one would probably be my pick for biggest downfall.

One honorable mention that hurts me to say is Carlos Condit. At his best he was one of the best in the world with huge wins over the best guys and nearly took wins from Robbie and GSP. I still think he was the most durable fighter of all time and was the only guy who could take bombs from Robbie, roided up hendricks, and Woodley and survive. But now he can't buy a win and is getting finished left and right. Hasn't looked competitive since the robbie fight.