UFC 229 Khabib vs McGregor Pick'em Thread

kenlow73

McGregor's reign is over. Just glad to see all the McGregor fans go...back to boxing or whatever. You were sold wolf tickets......anyone who thought McGregor was going to smash Khabib---wolf tickets my friends. Wolf Tickets.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Styles make fights. Khabib is just as beatable as the next guy. I think Tony Ferguson gives him a really good run for his money though. This loss hurts Conor's fight stock significantly. He really needs to find a way to get past that two round gas tank.

That is one whiley matchup. Shame Khabib let the moment get the better of him and will probably face a ban now, but it does open the division up like a can of worms.... All this has all paved the way for Tony to reclaim his position (after all if anyone deserves to have his rank legitimately defended, it's Tony). If there ever was an excuse for an interim belt: McGregor vs Tony. This fight feels like yeh now it's unavoidable now right? Or am I giving McGregor more benefit than he's entitled? (Although I must point out that that matchup should have happened ages ago anyway and I don't even think McGregor has the right to face Tony in terms of where he is on MY rankings.) The UFC rankings are so infused with corruption that I fail to see how McGregor has managed to gain a legacy (retain his rank) without once defending.

Surely McGregor is more suited (in reality) for a fight against Kevin Lee or a rematch against a prepared Eddie Alvarez. I mean shit, Tony got Pettis after not even having his belt taken from him. He was severely injured and was back within 6 months while McGregor hasn't even been on the map for 2 yrs and gets an instant title shot. Khabib would say "this is number 1 bullshit". Nick Diaz says "wolf tickets". I loved it when Tony said "I'm cleaning this sport up". Go Tony!!

I say make McGregor work his way up to his position and start from scratch. Do that or if you're gonna squeeze the last out of this Irish fake (fag) lord then give him Tony and let's be done with this hoo haa once and for all. Even though I don't actually think he's entitled, I do believe real MMA fight fans are entitled to see this fight. Tony deserves that fight. No more excuses!!

• Upvote 1

Well despite all the dumbshit that happened after the fight I still want to see Khabib v Ferguson even more now. Ferguson is the only guy that can beat khabib imo.

I have no interest in that fight. It has been booked like 4 times now with something happening to each guy twice and not materialize. So no interest in it. And best guy with a chance of beating him I'd have to say is Kevin Lee. Has great wrestling and great stand up. While Ferguson did get the submission off his back against Kevin Lee if you remember correctly he definitely showed he was the better striker and better wrestler than Ferguson. It was a pretty one sided afair but he did get the submission.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lee gets the loser of Nate/DP (Tony beat kevin easy last fight)

Go back and watch that fight please. Lee was dominating that fight but got caught by a submission. In a fight he shouldn't have even been allowed to compete in with that huge staph infection he had as it was dangerous for both guys. He was destroying Ferguson and if you don't know anything about staph and what it does to the body it robs you a lot of your strength and energy couple that with how the body reacts to cutting weight and I was completely astounded by Lee in that fight. And no i didn't pick Lee for that fight i picked Ferguson. If they fought again i would most assuredly be picking Lee.

I have no interest in that fight. It has been booked like 4 times now with something happening to each guy twice and not materialize. So no interest in it. And best guy with a chance of beating him I'd have to say is Kevin Lee. Has great wrestling and great stand up. While Ferguson did get the submission off his back against Kevin Lee if you remember correctly he definitely showed he was the better striker and better wrestler than Ferguson. It was a pretty one sided afair but he did get the submission.

Idk about striking but I think Lee has the better wrestling but I dont think either guy can stop khabib from getting takedowns completely. I see them getting taken down and having to get up which both can do but Lee doesnt have the cardio to keep up with khabib where as Ferguson has the best cardio in the division. Like Rambo said styles make fights and Tony just has the style to best match khabib.

In the end, we pretty much got what was expected, i actually felt Conor did a pretty good job for the most part in stopping the takedowns, getting up and limiting the damage (with exception of the late 2nd round). Dana said that he will never book the Ferguson vs Khabib fight in the past, i am not sure he can not book that now. I think Conor will probably fight Nate if Nate can get a win.

In the end, we pretty much got what was expected, i actually felt Conor did a pretty good job for the most part in stopping the takedowns, getting up and limiting the damage (with exception of the late 2nd round). Dana said that he will never book the Ferguson vs Khabib fight in the past, i am not sure he can not book that now. I think Conor will probably fight Nate if Nate can get a win.

Surely Conor vs Ferguson is the logical fight now assuming Khabib gets suspended?

a77415ce08458dca624763749b351f8f.png

Hey Ken, my wrong picks should be 56 and not 76 mate

I'll fix it by the next event.

• Upvote 4

damn ... the most impressive performance was by Scott Holtzman for me !

Mcnuggets fans shouldn't worry : he will get the next title shot ( whatever the division he wants :P ) no matter what !

Daddy Dana embraces him ..most probably Dana went to nuggets and told him the date and time of the next title shot during that fiasco outside the cage :P

http://i63.tinypic.com/a9u4r9.jpg

awww ...look at the above picture ...a caring father comforting his son

btw Mcgregor did commit almost all the fouls - > hooking the glove, pulling khabib's shorts, toes in the cage, knee to the face of a grounded opponent and not even a single freaking warning ... wow .. -_-

all the drama at the end ... big big DOLLARS yo ! Anyone can see it's the set up for the big money rematch

They made Khabib into a villain and now Nuggets; the chivalrous knight will march forward in the rematch and win via KO

Dana is going to make the promotion video himself now :D ... they did a good work making the nugget's bus attack look like a super hero work

like Tyrone Sponge said in his twitter :

'People get mad at @TeamKhabib but forget what Conor has done a few months ago, it’s all fun and games when it’s for hype and attention but sometimes you play with the wrong people!! If you don’t want none don’t start none'

• Upvote 2

That is one whiley matchup. Shame Khabib let the moment get the better of him and will probably face a ban now, but it does open the division up like a can of worms.... All this has all paved the way for Tony to reclaim his position (after all if anyone deserves to have his rank legitimately defended, it's Tony). If there ever was an excuse for an interim belt: McGregor vs Tony. This fight feels like yeh now it's unavoidable now right? Or am I giving McGregor more benefit than he's entitled? (Although I must point out that that matchup should have happened ages ago anyway and I don't even think McGregor has the right to face Tony in terms of where he is on MY rankings.) The UFC rankings are so infused with corruption that I fail to see how McGregor has managed to gain a legacy (retain his rank) without once defending.

Surely McGregor is more suited (in reality) for a fight against Kevin Lee or a rematch against a prepared Eddie Alvarez. I mean shit, Tony got Pettis after not even having his belt taken from him. He was severely injured and was back within 6 months while McGregor hasn't even been on the map for 2 yrs and gets an instant title shot. Khabib would say "this is number 1 bullshit". Nick Diaz says "wolf tickets". I loved it when Tony said "I'm cleaning this sport up". Go Tony!!

I say make McGregor work his way up to his position and start from scratch. Do that or if you're gonna squeeze the last out of this Irish fake (fag) lord then give him Tony and let's be done with this hoo haa once and for all. Even though I don't actually think he's entitled, I do believe real MMA fight fans are entitled to see this fight. Tony deserves that fight. No more excuses!!

Conor will never fight Tony bro, i've been saying that for years, forget that fight...

i would like to see Conor face Lee next (just like Barbosa did after fighting Khabib) and then we can see if he is ready to face Khabib again.

what we will probably see though is Conor vs Diaz 3 regardless of Diaz winning or losing vs Poirier.

• Upvote 1

that is crazy, how can you have no interest in seeing the best fight the best? if you love mma then Tony vs Khabib is THE FIGHT to see at 155!

• Upvote 3

Conor will never fight Tony bro, i've been saying that for years, forget that fight...

I am not quite sold on that idea, that Ferguson is this nightmare match for McGregor. Yeah, he is a great pressure fighter and has a chin. Also, he is one of the best in thinking on his feet, even when rattled. But how do we know all this? Because he is very hittable, just like Alvarez! Not sure if that is a quality, that I would put too much stock on against McGregor. Because as much as we all are fed up with the McGregor Kool Aid: The dude can strike and has good reactive timing. At least until he gasses out and is disheartened. A Ferguson/McGregor fight would stylistically be far more volatile than McGregor against Khabib (where McGregor was basically dependend on Khabib getting overzealous early - like he was against Johnson).

As entertaining as his scrap with Pettis was ..... let's not forget that Pettis had him in real trouble. A heavily diminished Pettis, who hasn't knocked out anybody since January 2013, had lost 5 out of his last 8 at that point and who happened to break his hand, as he clipped Ferguson and couldn't follow up properly. Like I said, Ferguson is 34 and one year at that stage of his career (even more so at lightweight) is a looooong layoff. I think father time is knocking quite heavily at Ferguson's door.

I really want to see Khabib vs Ferguson finally. Conor vs Khabib would have been great before Conors pathetic layoff and outside troubles.

Realistically Conor at 155 is not Conor at 145 enough said, Khabib vs Ferguson is the top two and because khabib just knocked off the Cash Cow it should bring in some sales. Shame Nurmagmadov lost his cool at the end though, Congrats to him on the victory.

I think they'll give McGregor a more winnable fight that's still a big name. Diaz would probably be the preference, but other names I'd throw out there are Aldo, Gaethje and Pettis.

Put me in the McGregor is a not a great matchup for Ferguson camp, especially early on in the fight. I'd prefer Ferguson get his shot at khabib, or an interim title fight vs Poirier (after he cleans up Diaz).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am not quite sold on that idea, that Ferguson is this nightmare match for McGregor. Yeah, he is a great pressure fighter and has a chin. Also, he is one of the best in thinking on his feet, even when rattled. But how do we know all this? Because he is very hittable, just like Alvarez! Not sure if that is a quality, that I would put too much stock on against McGregor. Because as much as we all are fed up with the McGregor Kool Aid: The dude can strike and has good reactive timing. At least until he gasses out and is disheartened. A Ferguson/McGregor fight would stylistically be far more volatile than McGregor against Khabib (where McGregor was basically dependend on Khabib getting overzealous early - like he was against Johnson).

As entertaining as his scrap with Pettis was ..... let's not forget that Pettis had him in real trouble. A heavily diminished Pettis, who hasn't knocked out anybody since January 2013, had lost 5 out of his last 8 at that point and who happened to break his hand, as he clipped Ferguson and couldn't follow up properly. Like I said, Ferguson is 34 and one year at that stage of his career (even more so at lightweight) is a looooong layoff. I think father time is knocking quite heavily at Ferguson's door.

if he was willing to fight Ferguson he would have done it while Tony was interim champ.... i always thought the champ had to fight the interim to unify the belts if he is healthy. i know he fought Mayweather but he also offered to fight Frankie during that time, not once mentioning Ferguson.

in regards to Tony being hittable and McGregor knocking him out early before gassing out i would point out that Tony has never been knocked out in the 27 fights he has had so far so it won't be so easy for Conor to put him away, rock him maybe but finish i'm not so convinced...it's not the same as Alvarez who has been ko'ed before.

well the nsac is also putting a complaint in against conor also (just not withholding his money) -- he jumped upon the fence and swung at one of khabib's guys (maybe the one that jumped into the cage and hit him, i dont know) -- said complaints against both getting put in though

honestly though khabib messed up but nothing should happen really, conor jumped out of the cage, yes he didn't touch or hit anyone but he did jump into the cage at bellator and touched (shoved the ref) and caused chaos, slapping someone from the commission and nothing happened to him on it

in the end you know they want to spin this into a conor vs diaz 3 -- but have to wait to see what diaz does in his fight meanwhile

in regards to Tony being hittable and McGregor knocking him out early before gassing out i would point out that Tony has never been knocked out in the 27 fights he has had so far so it won't be so easy for Conor to put him away

But when has Ferguson ever fought a guy with a KO percentage as high as McGregors? Ferguson has been on roller blades against several guys, who were/are no big punchers at all.

But when has Ferguson ever fought a guy with a KO percentage as high as McGregors? Ferguson has been on roller blades against several guys, who were/are no big punchers at all.

Conor couldn't knock out Diaz and he had been ko'ed before by Josh Thompson (who Tony also fought and beat), what i'm saying is that i have seen fights where Conor didn't get the ko but i haven't seen fights where Tony has been ko'ed so it's a bit of a stretch for me to assume that McGregor would be able to do that because of his "great ko power". the only fighter at 155 that Conor ko'ed is Alvarez who got knocked again once in his next 2 fights so i'm not so convinced Conor's power at featherweight moved up to 155 with him, sure he can knock dudes out that are smaller than him but Khabib didn't seem to feel his punches so i see no evidence that Tony would not be able to take his punches...

i think we will see McGregor fight Diaz again as that is where the money is at.

I really want to see Khabib vs Ferguson finally. Conor vs Khabib would have been great before Conors pathetic layoff and outside troubles.

Conor at 155 is much healthier than Conor at 145. Big difference between striking up at opponents chins and down at them though.

Conor isnt exactly a power puncher. It aint like he loads up on one bomb. Hes explosive and accurate. You hit the button and it rings the bell. He usually wins with volume, outside of counter strike on the button vs Aldo.

That said, youre crazy if you think the fight would of been better before the long layoff. Conors defensive ground game was impressive given the circumstances.

I think Conor could rock Tony. Also think Tony could rock Conor. I dont think its a nightmare matchup at all though because Tonys style walks right into McGregors strengths. Tony is the same dude that got rock and socked by a last minute FW (not Pettis... van something or w.e.) and just like Lawler you go to sleep eventually