Standing up from the Ground (Escapes or Transitions)

10thPlanetKT

Hello all. Recently I started creating more striking oriented fighters since they are easier to train. I have also been giving them Escapes as well. However I was reading the engine changes a few months ago and Mike said that "transitions are used for standups from the top position,". Not sure where the forum link because it is an old thread is but I will try to find it later on today Is this true as of 2020? Because if that is the case, we should see more stand up fighters using transitions to escape from an opponent's guard combined with their escapes if they get taken down. That is way more effective than lay and pray from being pulled into a top guard position and gambling that your opponent has bad intelligence and can't sub you from bottom guard. :notworthy:

the way i thought it worked was transitions to achieve better positioning and escapes to get out and stand up. both work well together (as most things do), but transitions to stay moving on the ground and escapes to stand up would be the black and white version. could be deadass wrong though lol.

My thoughts are the same as Jason on this - transitions are for ground movements, and the only way to standup (without the referee’s help) is with the escapes skill.

Look forward to reading what Mike said about transitions being used from top position, if you can find the post. It would be news to me!

It took some digging but I actually found the thread where Mike said that in the new engine transitions are used to escape from top position :winner:

This explains so much because I saw a strategy a wrestler used against a strike by taking down there opponent and getting a "standup" up right away to gas out the opponent. The striker lost energy of course from constantly getting taken down, always wondered if it was truly transitions

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50571 (Fight Engine Changes 2015)

It took some digging but I actually found the thread where Mike said that in the new engine transitions are used to escape from top position :winner:

This explains so much because I saw a strategy a wrestler used against a strike by taking down there opponent and getting a "standup" up right away to gas out the opponent. The striker lost energy of course from constantly getting taken down, always wondered if it was truly transitions

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50571 (Fight Engine Changes 2015)

as far as the fight goes, it could be the striker had his "allow stand up" ticked because they don't want to be in the ground vs grappler.

Need large sample size.

• Upvote 2

I'll create a new thread in a few months with again on stand-ups from the top position. Right now I don't have the experimental data to 100% prove that the opponent didn't tick "allow stand-up", however at least we know now that Mike said stand-ups from the top position are transitions not escapes. Hopefully more managers start using strikers start using (15) transitions to get out of top position from a guard pull scramble.

• Upvote 1

Either way, you might as well use those transitions to pass their guard and outscore them on the ground, instead of trying to stand up and getting counter subbed.

I think more or less just the knowledge of does this work, does it not work, are escapes useless from top position, etc. Would be useful.

Sometimes you face ground fighters with only GNP.

• Upvote 1