The Football (Soccer) Thread

Mentor

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 11:08 PM, Mentor said:

And then we go to win 4-0 and 5-0 in our next 2 games. Total madness.

I think this is our Spursiest year in recent memory. I am still somehow hopeful of getting 4th.

the team is obviously not good enough, but it is clear Conte can turn this around. Hopefully we get enough results to both keep Conte and Kane around this summer, but not overachieve enough for Levy to not back Conte. We NEED midfield depth and a RWB, and preferably some more help up front. I worry that actually getting 4th will give Levy an excuse to not spend, and 5th will give Conte and Kane a reason to walk.

I think even Levy knows we need investment, irrelevant on what place we end up. I think the chances are 50/50 in getting a top 4. Chelsea could also start losing momentum due to their Abramovich fiasco. Our schedule is not that difficult, most the games are winnable. We do have Pool, Arsenal, WHU and a few other tough games such as Leicester, but then again, this is Spurs, we can beat the champ and then get thrashed by a bottom 5 team. 

Conte has 1 1/2 years on his deal, i highly doubt he will renew beyond that, unless Levy shows real ambition this summer and i highly doubt that.

100% i agree with what you said in regards to what we need. We desperately need backup up front or somebody who can also play in a different role, together with Kane (such as a speedy striker/winger or creative striker as a number 10). We need a RWB and as you said, Doherty is at best a backup and Royal lacks the experience to be your #1 option. Backup at LWB would be nice, but i guess Sessegnon can be given that nod. We need more creativity in the middle, Bentancur has helped since moving, but we need more options. 

We also need to offload players, selling dead weight is not Levy's specialty in recent years. Vickers, Ndombele, Bergwijn and Rodon seem to be out of the rotation or are on loan. Maybe Bergwijn can be converted into that LWB backup, i know Conte is famous for converting wingers into wing backs.

• 5 weeks later...

Spurs hitting form at the right time and United and Arsenal capitulating at the wrong time. Arsenal had 3 points lead, the goal advantage + 1 game in had over Spurs for 4th place. 3 games later, Spurs now have a +10 goal advantage and are above Arsenal 3pts (although Arsenal still have the extra game, if they win we will be equal). 

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2022 at 8:22 AM, Mentor said:

Spurs hitting form at the right time and United and Arsenal capitulating at the wrong time. Arsenal had 3 points lead, the goal advantage + 1 game in had over Spurs for 4th place. 3 games later, Spurs now have a +10 goal advantage and are above Arsenal 3pts (although Arsenal still have the extra game, if they win we will be equal). 

I wish I knew when exactly this right form is coming... You could get a lot of money :) In general, Arsenal could perform better. But the defeat at the hands of Newcastle played against them. I expect even more interesting performances from Newcastle next season.

Hi all! Let me join your forum.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:22 AM, Mentor said:

What a season for Spurs, give Conte all he wants and more!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 11:53 PM, Mentor said:

I love the moves Spurs have made so far. Bargain purchases, made early. 

Massive moves for us so far. I expect a bit of a slow start- these new pieces will all need time to start working together- but it’s going to be a very successful season.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2022 at 7:05 PM, popart said:

Massive moves for us so far. I expect a bit of a slow start- these new pieces will all need time to start working together- but it’s going to be a very successful season.

Clément Lenglet joined from Barca on Loan yesterday. He will offer competition to our center backs. Good ball playing defender, French international and just 27y. Most likely we have an option to buy.

Richarlison joined from Everton. 60m. A bit on the high end in terms of price, considering Haaland joined with the same fee to City, but Richarlison is the type of player who we needed. Strong, skilled, proven in the EPL. Just 25y old, can play any of the 3 attacking positions. Provides us with options in attack and competition there.

Ivan Perisic joined for free from Inter. Played under Conte when he was there and won the league. He can play as a winger or wing back, left sided. World cup finalist. He is 33y, but we did not pay a dime for him.

Yves Bissouma joined from Brighton. DM, will provide competition in the MC roles. Great defensive player and the tyle Conte likes. Physical and strong on the ball. Destroyed us when we played Brighton in their 1-0 win (most likely where we saw his qualities). 

Fraser Forster also joined on a free for the backup GK role.

I think we need a RWB still and there is a pretty good chance we will offload Ndombele, Winks, Le Celso and Regulion (they all did not travel with the team to Korea). If we offload all those, most likely we will need another creative midfielder and maybe another box to box.

• 2 weeks later...

Spence from Nottingham Forrest is apparently taking a medical to join Spurs. He is a 21y old RWB / RCB, is is also an U21 England International.

Other rumors are that we are trying to sign Depay from Barca for 15-20m$. Not ultra high on signing him, he was a flop at Man U and he will be 29y old in January. For a player who relies on pace and can only be useful as a winger, i am not sure he is worth it, especially if we keep Moura. Essentially he is Moura with less pressure defending. 

On 7/19/2022 at 5:50 AM, Daudy said:

I'm not at all a Spurs fan, but came across this today.

Hopefully it's not geoblocked, but it's about the football academy Son has has set up back in Korea.  Pretty interesting stuff, but sounds like a bloody tough time that will really sort out the gems from the pretenders.

Interesting article, i did not know Son's dad was a coach.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:13 AM, popart said:

Very excited for the Spence signing with the way Conte can transform his Wingbacks. Even more excited for Perisic. 

could perhaps use one more centerback, but I believe the important signings for Spurs will be over for the summer soon. Really, really great window.

Yeah, i think this was the best ever transfer window for Spurs. We covered all the needs and we did not over pay (maybe Richarlson was an over pay, but he is an established EPL striker, just 25y).

Spence has the biggest question mark due to his age and not being proven, but he is also the youngest signing. But as you said, Conte is famous is transforming wingbacks. I see Spence more of a hybrid, DCR / DR, but he can go forward, just not sure he has the pace to be a major threat at the EPL level.

I think now it is more about offloading players. We have been doing that, but Ndombele and Winks are clearly not in our long term plans and they both have significant value. It should not be an issue offloading both, just not sure we can get what we want. I am not sure we should offload Moura, i like him and he offers some extra options on the wings. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice start to the season for Spurs, 4-1 against Soton in the opener. We bought a truckload of players though and not even one of those started today, even though most of those players have been with us for about 2 months. Most of them barely played in the friendlies as well,, not a good sign. Conte even said in a recent interview that "The difference between Spurs and the top teams is that Spurs can afford to spend 100m on 6-7 players, where as the top teams can afford to spend 100m on 2-3 players". I hope what he said does not means we bought a load of trash because Spurs cannot afford to spend 100m period 😆

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Arsenal doing really good this year, they have a big game away against United who recently beat Liverpool.

Spurs seem to be very solid, Son has not been on form so far, but Kane seems to be his old self. The new players have not really gotten into the team yet. Perisic, Boussouma and Richarlison are the only ones who got starts and even those are not regular ones. Maybe we need to give them a bit more time.

• 2 months later...