Advantage of being short?

Note

I've been playing this game for a long time and I have yet to see any advantage in having a short fighter beyond being slightly harder to submit. On the other side of the spectrum, being tall gives a huge boost to the chance of landing strikes in the stand up.

So is there any reason to ever make a fighter that's shorter than most of his opponents? Is there something I've missed?

Nah, it's no hunch, it's true. I believe it says it in the wiki, that taller people are easier to take-down and also to sub.

The high centre of gravity makes it easier to be taken down and harder to get take downs, while the long limbs on the deck make you more susceptible to subs.

Nah, it's no hunch, it's true. I believe it says it in the wiki, that taller people are easier to take-down and also to sub.

The high centre of gravity makes it easier to be taken down and harder to get take downs, while the long limbs on the deck make you more susceptible to subs.

Alright, does this work the other way around in the game engine aswell, ie is it harder to take down a short guy? Does the shorter fighter get takedowns easier?

Alright, does this work the other way around in the game engine aswell, ie is it harder to take down a short guy? Does the shorter fighter get takedowns easier?

Yup indeed. The height is just one algorithm, you are short then you are harder to takedown and at the same time if you are tall you are easier to takedown. And other advantages/disadvantages applied, I don't think I need to list them all out.

I've been playing this game for a long time and I have yet to see any advantage in having a short fighter beyond being slightly harder to submit. On the other side of the spectrum, being tall gives a huge boost to the chance of landing strikes in the stand up.

So is there any reason to ever make a fighter that's shorter than most of his opponents? Is there something I've missed?

Good for takedown defense and offense.

Short wrestlers are better.

I laugh when i see 225 cm tall wrestlers.

Shorter fighters pass guard better IRL. ANd how is it that shorter guys can take people down better? they cant connect their hands as easy behind the spread leg against fence. Somebody made that crap up. tall guys can do takedowns just as easy if they are athletic.

Shorter fighters pass guard better IRL. ANd how is it that shorter guys can take people down better? they cant connect their hands as easy behind the spread leg against fence. Somebody made that crap up. tall guys can do takedowns just as easy if they are athletic.

Center of gravity is lower, letting them not drop so much = faster takedowns.

Center of gravity is lower, letting them not drop so much = faster takedowns.

That does make sense and i did think of that, but there are disadvantages as well like having arms too short to connect a body lock below tthe waste. Now usually they can over come this by just powering past the taller weaker opponent till that back leg comes forward and then they have a power double. But aginst the cage you cant do that.

Also, takedowns for taller fighters who are good at using their legs (sweeps, trips, reaps) on shorter opponents would be more effective due to them having the "reach" advantage.

A knee tap from the MT clinch would be much more effective for a taller fighter as a shorter one might not even be able to reach the leg. If you got to use an underhook knee tap cause your short you are really leaving a head shot open.

sure, a tall guy can get ankle picked MUCH much more than a short one. Conversely if you are a tall guy you can most likely get a snap down head lock takedown in many more scenarios than a shorter fighter would. Sure in wrestling taller guy get snapped down easy cause they are bent severely over to defend the shot of their opponent, sometimes at a 90 degree angle. If you did that in mma you would get wandy vs rampage.

Not many guys are gonna be able to body lock roy nelson, but if your taller...

Im not saying tlaler guys have the advantage in getting takedowns im just saying that its not as lopsided as takedown defense.

At one point my entire stable was the minimum height. Makes them essentially unsumittable and improves their wrestling. They do have huge standup woes against taller opponents though.

"Also, takedowns for taller fighters who are good at using their legs (sweeps, trips, reaps) on shorter opponents would be more effective due to them having the "reach" advantage."

Nah its easier to counter, at least is is for me. When im clinched up with a taller guy and he tries to put a leg behind mine and trip me, as long as i know its coming its pretty easy to reverse it and take him down. Just because you are short doesnt mean you cant lock your arms around a guy, unless you have some baby arms.

"Also, takedowns for taller fighters who are good at using their legs (sweeps, trips, reaps) on shorter opponents would be more effective due to them having the "reach" advantage."

Nah its easier to counter, at least is is for me. When im clinched up with a taller guy and he tries to put a leg behind mine and trip me, as long as i know its coming its pretty easy to reverse it and take him down. Just because you are short doesnt mean you cant lock your arms around a guy, unless you have some baby arms.

lol yeah, in the clinch (i was not talking about the clinch when i mentioned their range and trips) he is just setting you up for a leg sweep. Guys only do that if they are major bjj players wanting it on the ground, or they are confident in a powerful quick sweep. Guys that just dangle that foot around you are noobs.

And locking your arms around someones waste is very easy no matter what your size, now if you try to lock a gable grip with an arm in, or your opponent has legs wide and you are trying to lock below their ass then you need longer arms. unless your willing to just grab the shorts but thats a whole nother story.

How's this true? Jon Jones is really tall and has never been submitted.

Yes, I think it helps if you are short with takedowns and on the ground.I had more situations like this.

For example:

Lesner will need to keep those long limbs tucked in whilst he's on the ground, to prevent any submissions. (1 minute)

http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=190338

But it depends also from fighters skills.

Who do you think has a better chance of getting out of a full on armbar, jon jones or s. sherk. Also, if you have no neck its hard to choke ya.

Not asl criminals are in jail yet, why?

lol yeah, in the clinch (i was not talking about the clinch when i mentioned their range and trips) he is just setting you up for a leg sweep. Guys only do that if they are major bjj players wanting it on the ground, or they are confident in a powerful quick sweep. Guys that just dangle that foot around you are noobs.

And locking your arms around someones waste is very easy no matter what your size, now if you try to lock a gable grip with an arm in, or your opponent has legs wide and you are trying to lock below their ass then you need longer arms. unless your willing to just grab the shorts but thats a whole nother story.

why would you want to hug a turd?

errm i think your all reading to much in to the fight engine , we only just got the ground game back , do you realy think long arms make a diffrence? in takedowns because you can wrap around someones legs?

if you have a 7ft athletic fighter he will take them down with the best , i know fight comentary does mention about a fighter better have a better game plan than his build , but its coulor pure and simple , you often see the painfull specimen subbing or GNP ing his opponent out in the next round.

you pay vip you get dealt your hand

you get 10 fighters

none of them are the same

one of them will be a fast learner

one of them will be a natural fighter

one of them will be a slow learner

one of them will not fast learn untill 22 years old

now you might get the first two in one fighter , then you have something special on your hands

errm i think your all reading to much in to the fight engine , we only just got the ground game back , do you realy think long arms make a diffrence? in takedowns because you can wrap around someones legs?

if you have a 7ft athletic fighter he will take them down with the best , i know fight comentary does mention about a fighter better have a better game plan than his build , but its coulor pure and simple , you often see the painfull specimen subbing or GNP ing his opponent out in the next round.

you pay vip you get dealt your hand

you get 10 fighters

none of them are the same

one of them will be a fast learner

one of them will be a natural fighter

one of them will be a slow learner

one of them will not fast learn untill 22 years old

now you might get the first two in one fighter , then you have something special on your hands

Dude, I hope you were drunk when you posted this.

Does height make a difference? Fuck yes, in basically all the ways that people previous to you posted.

Jesus, it doesn't take a degree in statistical math to see these differences.

Dude, I hope you were drunk when you posted this.

Does height make a difference? Fuck yes, in basically all the ways that people previous to you posted.

Jesus, it doesn't take a degree in statistical math to see these differences.

he said takedowns, not takedown defense. and i thought he was making sense till he mentioned a guy becoming fast learner later in life. WTF? i never heard of that.

you cant wrap your arms around a turd cause anyone wanting to hug a turd would be in a straight jacket in a padded cell. my bad on the spelling tho lol.