UFC 246 McGregor cs Cowboy Pick'em Thread

kenlow73

McGregor will fight one of the following:

Masdival

Mayweather

Diaz

Guaranteed.

Btw Daniel, McGregor has only received a rematch for a fight he dominated for 2 rounds... like, dominated, 2-3 knockdowns isn't a fluke.

No opponent outside of maybe Mendes had any leverage against him. And he didn't get an instant rematch with Khabib and probably won't. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we never see them fight inside cage again tbh.

He also said he would give Aldo an instant rematch but UFC pushed a different agenda or played a substantial hand in him moving to LW.

@Rambo

You might be right, just Dana is already trying to sell the rematch for Khabib's next fight.

Aldo didn't get a rematch because Conor wanted to get the LW belt (and maybe sick of cutting the weight), it just seemed kinda wrong to not give the longtime 145 champ a rematch after his first loss in the UFC. Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember Aldo was offered a 155 fight rematch on short notice when RDA pulled out, not a legit 145 full camp rematch. Anyway's, Diaz choked him out on short notice, but he won the rematch by MD and didn't want the trilogy. Instead, after 2 fights at 170lbs, he jumped to a light weight title fight against Eddie. Then loses to Mayweather, then to Khabib. Sit's out a while, comes back and beats Cowboy at 170 (his first win since 2016) and Dana White is claiming Conor is next in line for the winner of Khabib/Tony. Just seems a little forced thats all, when you have a guy like Justin who wanted Conor at 155 and/or the next title shot.

BUT who's kidding who im, gonna watch whatever fight he's in lol

it would be great to see Conor fight Gaetje on the same card as Khabib vs Tony!

That is what i want to see, the winner of that one takes on the winner of the title fight, then again, if Khabib wins, it will mean a long layoff due to the Ramadan. Either way, that is a fun fight and probably Gaetje is next in line for the title anyway, so this would be a good title contender fight.

The fights also being floated out there:

Mayweather or any of the boxing fights: I sure as hell this does not happen, i have zero interest in watching Conor in another Boxing fight. The last time he left to do Boxing, it left a void in MMA and i am hoping he can come back and be dominant in his own sport.

Diaz: What is the point of this fight? To end the trilogy? So what? Diaz is off a loss and does not really move Conor anywhere.

Usman: The dude is injured, so sitting around waiting is not something i think Conor should be doing now.

Masvidal: This is my second option, i am not sure this is a good fight for Conor, but if he wants to compete at 170 or fight for that title, then this is a fight i would love to see. Should be an interesting fight to watch and the build up should be good.

• Upvote 2

@Rambo

You might be right, just Dana is already trying to sell the rematch for Khabib's next fight.

Aldo didn't get a rematch because Conor wanted to get the LW belt (and maybe sick of cutting the weight), it just seemed kinda wrong to not give the longtime 145 champ a rematch after his first loss in the UFC. Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember Aldo was offered a 155 fight rematch on short notice when RDA pulled out, not a legit 145 full camp rematch. Anyway's, Diaz choked him out on short notice, but he won the rematch by MD and didn't want the trilogy. Instead, after 2 fights at 170lbs, he jumped to a light weight title fight against Eddie. Then loses to Mayweather, then to Khabib. Sit's out a while, comes back and beats Cowboy at 170 (his first win since 2016) and Dana White is claiming Conor is next in line for the winner of Khabib/Tony. Just seems a little forced thats all, when you have a guy like Justin who wanted Conor at 155 and/or the next title shot.

BUT who's kidding who im, gonna watch whatever fight he's in lol

Aldo didn't get a rematch because after the first fight one of McNugget's team said he'd never fight in that division again because it was too hard of a weight cut.

Depends on who McGregor is aiming at:

-Kusman: fight Masvidal and then go to titleshot. 3 fights in an year and is enough to wait for the champs recovery.

-Khabib: fight Justin and then get title shot.

Either way, both champs and contenders have a close fighting style, it pretty much depends on what weight cat he wants to keep on going.

Going str8 to the belt after 2-3 years missing in action and the khabib loss... Dick move. Specially after the fantastic year Masvidal had

• Upvote 1

Depends on who McGregor is aiming at:

-Kusman: fight Masvidal and then go to titleshot. 3 fights in an year and is enough to wait for the champs recovery.

-Khabib: fight Justin and then get title shot.

Either way, both champs and contenders have a close fighting style, it pretty much depends on what weight cat he wants to keep on going.

Going str8 to the belt after 2-3 years missing in action and the khabib loss... Dick move. Specially after the fantastic year Masvidal had

That is my thought, either Justin or Masvidal should come next, both fighters are sitting around waiting for a fight at the moment anyway and Conor said he wants to fight as early as possible, maybe March or April.

Khabib vs Conor next guaranteed. Dana can't risk the golden goose losing before laying one final golden egg.

i really thought Conor would call out Masvidal after all the talk but Rogan asked him twice and he ducked the question so i think we can add Masvidal to the the same list as Tony (guys that Conor says he would fight but actually never will).

i think Conor beats Gaetje (great stylistic match up) but Dana doesn't and that is why he isn't making it a number 1 contender fight otherwise it would make perfect sense... Khabib vs Tony and Conor vs Justin on the same card and the 2 winners fight. sounds like the fairest way to do it but Dana wants one last huge payday from Conor before he becomes a "star" on Zuffa Boxing Inc.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it seems this fight was picked specially so the Conor can get an easy win and so that he is protected. Dana says he will face Khabib next. First of all, that is disrespectful to Ferguson, it is as if Khabib has already won, Secondly, Conor just won a 170lbs fight, the last 155lbs fight he lost, so i am not sure why he is getting a title shot next. Thirdly, if Khabib does win, their fight wont be until Autumn. To me, it is clear, Dana is clearly protecting Conor, no other logical explanation.

Conor said he wants to fight three times at least this year. After that announcement, at most he will fight three times. If the 155, belt is their intention, he should fight Gaeje.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think conor will fight Justin. It is the best fight for him stylistically, Justin will fall into his "macho have to stand and bang game" instead of grappling and get nailed. Khabib wont happen until Connor makes some money for UFC first as it is a terrible match up for connor (thats if Khabib even considers it). Conor would want to stay out of the 170 lb division as the cardio of Usman, colby and even Jorge will destroy him. I think his best chance for getting a run going is Justin, Dustin and Ferguson in that order

.... but the favoritism he gets is frustrating.

Jip, but it is also completely natural. When fighters bring in the big bucks, they get the special treatment. I think Diaz is next.

@ Rambo

What makes you believe, that McGregor vs Mayweather II is a viable option? Their first outing wasn't even close, though Mayweather tried hard to make it seem that way.

Jip, but it is also completely natural. When fighters bring in the big bucks, they get the special treatment. I think Diaz is next.

@ Rambo

What makes you believe, that McGregor vs Mayweather II is a viable option? Their first outing wasn't even close, though Mayweather tried hard to make it seem that way.

Couldnt the same thing be said about Khabib vs McGregor, yet there is a lot of talk of rematch.

• Upvote 1