MMA Gum Shield/ Mouthguard

Yeah you just have to bob to the dentist and hell mould it for you, takes a few days to come through but they usually have a poster on the wall with a whole heap of designs too so you can get something really you rather than a plain one lol

Just ring the dentist and ask for a price, if it seems dear then try other dentists and see if they'll make one? I've gotten my sons from different dentists before so some will do it

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you just have to bob to the dentist and hell mould it for you, takes a few days to come through but they usually have a poster on the wall with a whole heap of designs too so you can get something really you rather than a plain one lol

Just ring the dentist and ask for a price, if it seems dear then try other dentists and see if they'll make one? I've gotten my sons from different dentists before so some will do it

I'm scared it might be quite costly for a gum shield from the dentist, and I'm not too sure what type of design I would go for (maybe something to do with being Irish ;)). I don't have a p/t job atm and I think I'll have to buy other stuff once I start MMA such as sparring equipment, and whatever else the coaches recommend.

My parents aren't really supportive of me doing MMA. They don't want me to risk getting badly hurt (brain damage etc.) but it's something I've wanted to do for a quite a while now, so I definately want to try it now while I'm still young (17) and hopefully get really good. :)

Id actually ask the dentist as its far cheaper than in the US, and as you don't work the appointment is free so all you have to pay for is the gumshield

If they're not happy about it be careful to start with, the last thing you need is getting a nice split eyebrow from a clash of heads and have them think its barbaric lol

Are you training MMA at a specific gym, or are you training the arts separate?

Id actually ask the dentist as its far cheaper than in the US, and as you don't work the appointment is free so all you have to pay for is the gumshield

If they're not happy about it be careful to start with, the last thing you need is getting a nice split eyebrow from a clash of heads and have them think its barbaric lol

Are you training MMA at a specific gym, or are you training the arts separate?

MMA at a gym, I'm guessing it wont be a great gym in comparison to the gyms over in the US and even compared to some of the gyms in England. MMA isn't that big in Northern Ireland. :(

Yeah, they didn't even like the idea of me boxing when I used to do boxing training :mellow: , but its something I want to do.

Let them see the rolling side of it rather than the striking, doesn't seem as bad then lol

My dad simply refuses to watch it. He thinks it is for thugs and that its really gory and violent or something. I tried to tell him there's a lot of skill in it. He likes boxing, well used to watch it when it was on for free "back in the day" lol.

Is "GumShield" what these are called in the UK?

To be honest, I've never heard of them referred to as that before.

Never heard of them referred to as gumshields in Australia either.

MMA at a gym, I'm guessing it wont be a great gym in comparison to the gyms over in the US and even compared to some of the gyms in England. MMA isn't that big in Northern Ireland. :(

Yeah, they didn't even like the idea of me boxing when I used to do boxing training :mellow: , but its something I want to do.

You live in Northern Ireland right?

(UK joke incoming, sorry, I have to)

Learn to wrestle really well, and you'll tear through everyone. :smile_anim:

^^^ True story ^^^

Though to be fair the talent in Northern Ireland is coming up fast and strong from what I see on the cage wars shows, so shouldn't be too long till some top gyms open up

^^^ True story ^^^

Though to be fair the talent in Northern Ireland is coming up fast and strong from what I see on the cage wars shows, so shouldn't be too long till some top gyms open up

I don't think there's big enough demand for it tbh. Even if it did happen there would probably be only 1 big gym and that would be in Belfast or Derry which is both 1 hour away from me. :(

Did you see Clan Wars 7? It was one of the most recent events.

I don't think there's big enough demand for it tbh. Even if it did happen there would probably be only 1 big gym and that would be in Belfast or Derry which is both 1 hour away from me. :(

Did you see Clan Wars 7? It was one of the most recent events.

Not a big enough demand for Irish fighting? I don't believe you. The problem is no one needs to pay to see it when you can see it for free at any pub. :D

I would strongly suggest that the next time you go to the dentist for a check up (I find this happens somewhat more when you do combat sports, especially against new guys who can be a little enthusiastic) get the dentist to recommend the gum shield that best suits your mouth.

If your there anyway, most are happy to other the advice for free.

Also, if you can get to a dental college, I have had professional shields made for free by allowing students to do it as part of their training. A great money saver.

I would strongly suggest that the next time you go to the dentist for a check up (I find this happens somewhat more when you do combat sports, especially against new guys who can be a little enthusiastic) get the dentist to recommend the gum shield that best suits your mouth.

If your there anyway, most are happy to other the advice for free.

Also, if you can get to a dental college, I have had professional shields made for free by allowing students to do it as part of their training. A great money saver.

Okay, I get a check up every couple of months I think. So I'm sure I'll see him before I end up having my first competitive fight.

Not sure if there's a dental college nearby. I think you can study dentistry in Queen's University in Belfast, would I have to contact someone there and ask about it? :huh:

You can Google it and check for a dental college or dental hospital, both are free to visit for dental issues but I don't know about gum shields

I don't get the joke. :sad01_anim:

Wait, are you trying to say UK fighters can't wrestle? And are only good boxers? :o

I was trying to express the generalization that people from the UK can't wrestle.

• 2 weeks later...

Im a pro mma fighter, best investment is a custom mouth guard. Mine ran me about 145$$$$ woud you go into war with a piece of shit gun hell no! So the moneys worth saving your teeth. Dont wear a double, there a waste and have seen to many guys almost get them punched down there throat and plus u almost always have to bite down to keep them in ur mouth. All the mouth piece u buy in a typical store suck, shock doctors suck dont care what people say. If u can open ur mouth and talk with ur mouth guard u have a shitty one.,,,i have to forcefully yank mine out it just dosnt fall out! Here is the link to the guy that does my work

http://pythonguards.com/

best boil and bite guard out there i think i like a 4 dollar green guard with black strips on it from walmart,only boil and bite ive ever had that will stay in my mouth when i open it

Im a pro mma fighter, best investment is a custom mouth guard. Mine ran me about 145$$$$ woud you go into war with a piece of shit gun hell no! So the moneys worth saving your teeth. Dont wear a double, there a waste and have seen to many guys almost get them punched down there throat and plus u almost always have to bite down to keep them in ur mouth. All the mouth piece u buy in a typical store suck, shock doctors suck dont care what people say. If u can open ur mouth and talk with ur mouth guard u have a shitty one.,,,i have to forcefully yank mine out it just dosnt fall out! Here is the link to the guy that does my work

http://pythonguards.com/

best boil and bite guard out there i think i like a 4 dollar green guard with black strips on it from walmart,only boil and bite ive ever had that will stay in my mouth when i open it

That company is based in America, I'm looking for somewhere that's in the UK.

Had my first MMA session on Friday just past, coach told me that he has a box of single mouth guards so he'll give me one of them.

I've ordered 2.5m Bad Boy hand wraps, £5 with free postage. :) http://www.badboy-uk.com/department/hand-wraps/bad-boy/product/bad-boy-hand-wraps-25m-stretch/433959

Also thinking about getting Bad Boy shorts at £25, also with free postage http://www.badboy-uk.com/department/shorts/bad-boy/product/bad-boy-mma-short-black/434161

I've seen Bad Breed MMA gloves which are said to be good for sparring and competitive fights. http://www.blitzsport.com/Bad-Breed-Sinner-MMA-Gloves?sc=9&category=42

Another session on Weds night, can't wait. :) Loved the 1st night, but it was really intense training and my body was sore 2 days afterwards, still kind of sore atm but its a lot better than yesterday. :)

Again, in the UK and Ireland all custom mouth guards are done by a dentist starts at £30 so ignore anything linked by people from outside the country as its not applicable here

Wow, I get free dentist work and custom mouth guards that I pay £42 for and that's with a custom design, £34 for a plain standard design lol