The Official Road to the Olympics Discussion Thread (Important: Read 1st Post!)

Just an idea, but what about one org that is specifically for the olympics and does not run any other events during the year?

I would be willing to do that with NY Fight Nights.

I could change the name, logos etc to new 'olympics'-graphics and make it the home of the MMA Tycoon Olympics.

Any possible profit could be handed out after the Olympics to the noob fund for example, as I have no interest in making any money from it.

Boom !

This way we could actually do the top 8 from each Weigh class .

I like how this is developing. Hope to hear the support from the big 3 orgs and managers so we can keep brainstorming.

• Upvote 1

Just an idea, but what about one org that is specifically for the olympics and does not run any other events during the year?

I could change the name, logos etc to new 'olympics'-graphics and make it the home of the MMA Tycoon Olympics.

Any possible profit could be handed out after the Olympics to the noob fund for example, as I have no interest in making any money from it.

Seems an ideal scenario. Won’t be messing with those pesky diminishing returns for holding too many events in a week for a long term org. Someone not looking to profit from it in regard to money, hype etc.

I guess you could run 4 cards on the Monday, 2 divisions per card, 8 fights on each. Semi finals on the Wednesday could be 2 cards, 4 divisions per card, again would be 8 fights on each. Then on Friday 2 cards, all the finals on one card and all the 3rd/4th place fights on the other. Or something along those lines or whatever.

• Upvote 3

Ok more info from Mike about The Road to the Olympics:

" Resetting energy wouldn't be a big problem cos I can write a script to do that. But it would have to take part in an org someone was running, because I'm not going to manually set all the fights. "

Perfect. So Mike is defo willing to work with us :) Mentor back to my original question from that other thread: Wanna host the Olympics in GAMMA ?

In the mean time I`m gonna try testing this in the 340k bracket right?

:winner:

If there will be any profit distribution, it should 100% be between the winners of the tourney and organizations sending their fighters (which is what we were doing with the original Olympics). 100% the money should not be going to some "neutral" or someone controlling a "fund". I do not think this should be run in an org, why should GAMMA or anyone else benefit from this, while the rest pay. There is also multiple other issues with that such as:

-Diminishing returns

-Lower attendances during the week

-You rely on fighters to approve fights + also the owner to be responsive (what i am proposing is automated, fights get booked automatically and approved automatically).

If Mike wants to help, the best thing he can do is:

-This will be a TWCG type setup

-Sign ups begins 2 weeks before the event (you cannot participate in any fights if you are already signed up, this will stop fighters from losing rank). Another option is to have a fixed sign up date such as the 1st of December.

-Latest application date is 7 days before the event start (the Monday before the event). Seeding will be announced on that day 00:00 (will give us time to hype the fights + write articles).

-The 8 highest ranking fighters get automatically booked, 8th seed vs #1, 7th vs #2 etc.

-Like TWCG, you still need approval of your org owner (if you are in an org).

-Event lasts 5 days, starting from Monday and ending on Friday. 1/8 on Monday, 1/4 on Wednesday and the Bronze/Silver/Gold medals on Friday.

-No injuries, no energy loss and no hype loss during the event or after the last event. Fighters always go in with 100% energy + no injuries.

-You still get hype gains and participants get a trophy (there will be 5 trophies, 1/8, 1/4, Bronze, Silver, Gold).

-No Monetary prizes, just the trophies and hype/rank gain.

-The tournament will take place end of the year (week before Christmas would be awesome, that will help give the year a climax + also help determine who was the best fighter during the year).

The main problem with all the above? I highly doubt Mike will program it. If Mike is unwilling to spend money on programming, then we can look at other solutions. The most simple being:

A more traditional option:

-Have it run in one org (the community can vote or the reigning "Org of the year"). That org will need to be a current top 4 org (PPV level)

-Fighters sign up in a forum topic

-8 highest ranking fighters for each division get seeded.

-If mike can remove diminishing returns, injuries, energy loss and hype loss, then we can still do this.

-Org won't lose hype either (so the org hype get's frozen during the 5 day period, the reason i say this is because events will likely be spread in smaller arena's as well).

-All profits get split between the winners + their org owners 50/50.

-The host organization will receive a small share of profits (10%).

-The trophies etc will be community created.

This is the other option that is more viable if Mike is not too bothered to program this, but still wants to help.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I agree with most Mentor says above except:-

- The trophies. Gold, Silver and Bronze only. No participation awards.

- I think it could run 2 weeks and include 16/32 fighters

The longer it runs, the more it hurts the orgs sending fighters because 2 weeks is the actual event + you also have the sign up periods, waiting times. It means a top level org can lose 50% of their hype if they lose all their champs for a 1 month period. In fact, even 1 week could be a problem if you include the sign up periods.

This was one of the problems of the original Olympics, some orgs wanted to send "lower ranking talent" to the event to steal the hype and to a certain extent, it made sense on their end. They wanted to continue running PPV events, while risking minimum of their own hype and potentially stealing the hype of the top ranking fighters. I guess a top 16 is the maximum, we could have Sunday included, but frankly speaking, i think a top 8 is fine.

• Upvote 1

Since in general people seem to like this idea, I would like to go a bit further in detail and explain what I think would be an interesting and realistic way to set the MMA Tycoon Olympics up.

This is a mix of some very good points by Mentor and some of my own suggestions/ideas.

(I did not discuss this yet with Mentor, so just want to make clear that is just my own personal view).

As mentioned before, I would like to turn NY Fight Nights into the 'playground' for the Olympics.

The name, logos, banners,... all would get turned into the Olympics-theme in a very professional way.

Underneath you can find a list of some of the main characteristics of what should be the Olympics in my opinion:

- Top 8 highest ranked fighters per weight class get automatically selected (date to be determined).

- Randow draw for the tournament per division, but with a tournament setup that makes clear which winners face who in their next fight.

)

- No injuries or energy loss.

- 1/8 on Monday, 1/4 on Wednesday and finals (+mini finale for bronze) on Saturday

- Custom trophies for the Olympics (gold, silver, bronze). NO participation badges.

- Takes place yearly in early December, before the yearly awards nomination threads go live.

We would need Mike to be on board as far as 'no injuries and no energy loss' goes.

I am not a programmer, but I can imagine that the above should not be that difficult to program, as it has been done before (TWGC,...)

I do not agree though with Mentor that the profit should go to the orgs that participate or the fighters.

The Olympics should the highlight of the year for the community and therefore I do not think that money should be involved.

This should be for bragging rights and not for tycoon dollars.

The events should be maxed out PPV's, something I believe Mike could set up without anyone having to put money in.

Therefore, no profits/loss should come out of it either.

I am not a huge fan of making it too much of an automatic process though, as I think it would lack a personal touch and emotion.

Call me an old sentimental fart, but a personal touch is what makes or breaks a business in my opinion.

Feel free to comment about all or some of the above.

I am interested to hear other opinions and views, so that we can put something together to bring to Mike and kick this off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think theres many things that doesent work. If its just based on rank there may be 8 best ranked, but not really 8 best fighters. Rankings change and there may be someone whos dominating whole year and misses olympics,because of one loss. There is also fighters that are high ranked, but doesent really deserve to be there like fighters at id-orgs of after island etc..

If there is no hype/pop loss/gain why it cannot be for basically everyone that want to try?

Also imho huge part of tycoon is that there is differend orgs and something drama between them. Tycoon would be boring if all fighters would just fight against eachother all the time.

Frankly speaking the more i think about it, the best solution is to do what we used to do, with the new loan feature it will be pretty easy to implement. The only change i would make is to have:

-Only have the top 4 orgs competing. The top 4 can offer the necessary cash prizes + they have the depth in roster (we used to have 8 but that was a problem due to the lack of depth).

-I would remove the 135 division and merge 265/265+ (most top orgs do not have a 135 or it is weak and 265 and 265+ are the same fighters anyway).

-I would ask Mike to remove injuries, energy loss and depreciating returns, that should be easy to do for that one week.

This way, we have the best possible solution because the orgs benefit, the fighters benefit and there is no debate. The previous format had a few issues, the biggest was lack of organization, lack of activity and the event took too long to complete. If Mike helps with the above, it will solve a lot of things.